What makes disney superior over other lines out there?

Susiecruisey

This will be my first Disney Cruise but my intention is to look back on the trip and the additional cost and evaluate not on the apples to apples comparison of amenity or food but on the overall experience of Disney. I am interested in the immersion of theme and mood and characters and events. All of which are unique to Disney. Thats where I expect the value to be, not necessarily of the quality of DCL Lobster to Carnival Lobster but to the value of Disney to not Disney. Being that we are Disneyphiles, I dont anticipate being disappointed.

Edited by ogold72

This will be my first Disney Cruise but my intention is to look back on the trip and the additional cost and evaluate not on the apples to apples comparison of amenity or food but on the overall experience of Disney. I am interested in the immersion of theme and mood and characters and events. All of which are unique to Disney. Thats where I expect the value to be, not necessarily of the quality of DCL Lobster to Carnival Lobster but to the value of Disney to not Disney. Being that we are Disneyphiles, I dont anticipate being disappointed.

With that attitude, you will LOVE it.

As to the above posts....it is impossible to be totally accurate as to what is happening on a given ship at any time unless you are posting during your cruise. We have seen things change week to week on the same ship. That doesn't even account for differences among ships, whether one is concierge, back to back, platinum, which port, how one arrived at the port, etc. or not. One thing I can say in ou 30 DCL experiences is that no two were exactly the same. Throw in individual differences in taste and preferences, and it all adds up to a huge possibility for inaccuracies here.

All anyone can do is to report his or her individual experiences. These may not agree with DCL written policies. When one moves to the area of stating other people's experiences (as in "I talked to six families who...." you begin to lose accuracy. If your last cruise was 6 years ago, you are hopelessly out of date; if it was 3 months ago, some things will have changed! And "your" most recent ship experiences may not agree across the line! MY OPINION ONLY--best to state your personal experiences and/or DCL written policies (and make clear which is which!)

Each of us who posts here regularly has posted errors more than once--sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes arrogance, sometimes I think people just want to write something whether they know the answer or not. Again...if you stick to reporting your own experience, you're only wrong if you have a faulty memory.

Edited by moki'smommy

I do not dispute that a DCL cruise cost more--it does and that's why we explored other lines. However. do be sure that you are comparing the total cruise cost.

We were surprised to look at the same cruise (same ports) on DCL and on Celebrity. While DCL listed only about $100 for "taxes' date=' port charges, and government fees," Celebrity added nearly $300 per guest for these items.[/b'] It did eat up a significant amount of the "savings" I was seeing when I looked at just the base fare. Tips--minimally less on Celebrity. Up charges were more--soda package, adult dining, etc. Obviously, these are optional, but at least the soda needs to be considered.

Same length of cruise, same departure ports and exact same destinations?

I ask this because as a frequent Celebrity cruiser, I have a hard time believing this.

For example we have 2 Celebrity cruises planned.

One is a 10 night and port and tax and fees are $106.62 per person.

And the other is a 14 night cruise and tax and fees are $114.84 per person.

Looking at our past cruise on DCL (albeit a Panama Canal) the taxes and fees were $225 per person.

But that is not comparing apples to apples. The Celebrity cruises are Caribbean.

$300 per person seems a tad high. Plus between our 5 DCL and 10 or so X, as a bugaboo I am about expenses, I would have noticed that much of a discrepancy.

These were both Alaskan cruises out of Seattle. I was surprised to see how much Celebrity added on top of what they listed as the "fare." Both were 7 night cruises. May have had different departure days of the week, but were essentially the same week. Ports were Ketichkan, Juneau, Skagway.

I think it was 2 years ago (last year we did B2B Meds on DCL). I would have cruised Celebrity again, but family wanted DCL.

Edited by moki'smommy

These were both Alaskan cruises out of Seattle. I was surprised to see how much Celebrity added on top of what they listed as the "fare." Both were 7 night cruises. May have had different departure days of the week' date=' but were essentially the same week. Ports were Ketichkan, Juneau, Skagway.

I think it was 2 years ago (last year we did B2B Meds on DCL). I would have cruised Celebrity again, but family wanted DCL.[/quote']

Surprise! Just for fun I checked both X and DCL for AK, same length and departure port and DCL was $105 per person and X was $202 per person! It must be something about AK! Makes no sense to me. Strange. Sorry to have doubted you. Having never cruised to AK, I never checked out those fees.

Surprise! Just for fun I checked both X and DCL for AK, same length and departure port and DCL was $105 per person and X was $202 per person! It must be something about AK! Makes no sense to me. Strange. Sorry to have doubted you. Having never cruised to AK, I never checked out those fees.

Thanks for posting. I knew I couldn't come up with exact figures from 2 years ago, but the vote of confidence is nice!

Thanks for posting. I knew I couldn't come up with exact figures from 2 years ago' date=' but the vote of confidence is nice![/quote']

Sure thing. I try to be very accurate when I post, but if I'm wrong, I'll admit it!;)

The cruises I have taken on Disney Cruise Line were all pretty reasonable as I used the special VGT rates on the Dream.

Since most everything is included with the cruise fare on Disney, I found all of the cruises to be a good deal.

I like being able to bring on my own alcohol, which saves a lot. I also like that soda, coffee and other drinks are available 24 hours a day on the ship and at meals in the dining room.

Overall, I think the food is good as well.

So, in summary Disney Cruise Line doesn't have to be expensive if you have some flexibility and are able to book in advance or by using the special IGT, OGT and VGT rates.

Disney also offers special rates for active military and Florida resident rates.

soccer

IGT = special inside cabin rate

OGT = special outside cabin rate

VGT = special verandah cabin rate

With that attitude' date=' you will LOVE it.

As to the above posts....it is impossible to be totally accurate as to what is happening on a given ship at any time unless you are posting during your cruise. We have seen things change week to week on the same ship. That doesn't even account for differences among ships, whether one is concierge, back to back, platinum, which port, how one arrived at the port, etc. or not. One thing I can say in ou 30 DCL experiences is that no two were exactly the same. Throw in individual differences in taste and preferences, and it all adds up to a huge possibility for inaccuracies here.

[b']All anyone can do is to report his or her individual experiences.[/b] These may not agree with DCL written policies. When one moves to the area of stating other people's experiences (as in "I talked to six families who...." you begin to lose accuracy. If your last cruise was 6 years ago, you are hopelessly out of date; if it was 3 months ago, some things will have changed! And "your" most recent ship experiences may not agree across the line! MY OPINION ONLY--best to state your personal experiences and/or DCL written policies (and make clear which is which!)

Each of us who posts here regularly has posted errors more than once--sometimes out of ignorance, sometimes arrogance, sometimes I think people just want to write something whether they know the answer or not. Again...if you stick to reporting your own experience, you're only wrong if you have a faulty memory.

You hit the nail on the head! You can argue about facts, but not about others' experiences. My dining room servers on two 4-night DCL Bahamas cruises (Wonder and Dream) were mediocre at best. However, the servers on my first Wonder Bahamas cruise, and on my Fantasy Caribbean and Magic Transatlantic cruises were among the best. In my experience - you were absolutely right about a DCL Transatlantic cruise being the "best cruise ever" - even with a very ho-hum itinerary! :D

Like I said in an earlier post for us to take the Disney cruise, we would have to pay 1700 more for my husband andI. And I compared it right down the line from the cabin to taxes, ports, length of cruise, you name it. Even our cabin is 14 more square feet... I just could not justify doing that. But for some that really want to take the DCL I can see you pay for whatever it is that you really want and that's ok........

One thing that keeps me looking at DCL (I've cruised it twice, Carnival once): I look at boards for other lines and people are asking if they should pay for priority boarding, if they should get soda (Coke where I come from) cards, how to sneak drinks onboard, what kind of walkie talkies to use, should they do specialty dining for a fee, is any time dining really any time dining. I'm sure there are other things. I don't have to worry about any of that with Disney. The cost isn't the issue; it's that I don't have to think about it. Maybe I like less options ?😊

Another thing: I look at some of the mega RCL ships and the cost of an Oceanview balcony isn't much savings for the same cabin on DCL. I'm not going on a cruise ship to have a view of trees and shopping. I would have stayed on land for that.

I know I'm paying a premium on DCL and I expect and so far have received a certain level of service because of the premium and the Disney name.

Quite honestly, if you are flexible on your dates, you can sail on Disney Cruise Line for about the same as a comparable ship

Just go to the Disney Cruise Line web site, spend some time looking at the offers and I'm sure if you are flexible with your dates and port of departure, you will be able to find a reasonably-priced cruise.

If the prices are too high today, check back in a week or so.

soccer

Quite honestly, if you are flexible on your dates, you can sail on Disney Cruise Line for about the same as a comparable ship

Just go to the Disney Cruise Line web site, spend some time looking at the offers and I'm sure if you are flexible with your dates and port of departure, you will be able to find a reasonably-priced cruise.

If the prices are too high today, check back in a week or so.

soccer

The only part of this quote that I disagree with is the last line. DCL is not like other cruise lines in that they don't change prices weekly or hold "fire sales" as the date approaches and the ship is not filled. TRUE, they do offer some discounts on unsold inventory, usually shortly after the penalty period starts. These are most commonly the IGT/OGT/VGT these days as well as Fl res and military rates. In the past, Kids sail free was common; now the *GT allows everyone to take advantage of specials, not just those with kids.

IF you see a special rate on a DCL cruise, grab it now. The number of cabins at these rates is limited and may disappear in under 24 hours! AND be sure you understand any restrictions that come with your special rate.

I'm actually pleased that Disney has some pricing integrity and hasn't become a commodity like some lines, which sell and promote on price alone. Bottom line, if you feel Disney is too expensive then book a line which is more within your budget. The market will dictate what Disney can charge, and so far they have had to do very little discounting relative to other brands. That speaks volumes for the Disney name, what it stands for, and its perception.

I haven't cruised in years and am on FOS in November. "Can't wait!!!"

So I read this post and went and looked for myself. I have s superior balcony, king bed, sitting area, yadayada .... to get that on Disney, I have to pay 1756.00 MORE not including tax, tips, or travel ins. ??? There better be a heck of a lot of magic going around for that price!!!!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

Not at all uncommon. We're on FOS Eastern 3/8/15. D1 Balcony for $2975 (including insurance and taxes). Just went out and checked Disney Fantasy 3/7/15 Eastern. The lowest balcony category (7A) was $4485 (including insurance and taxes). Both 7-night, both do St Thomas and St Maartan, so the $1,500 difference comes down to Disney's private island vs. RCL's private island 30 miles away. For $1500, I can take another 3-night cruise on RCL in a JR suite. No contest. :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

But again, you can pick and choose your cruises.

May 2015 15 night trans-Atlantic Magic inside cabin for 2 people is just under $6K. A balcony is over $8000

September 2015, 11 night trans-Atlantic Magic Inside cabin is $1600 for 2, balcony is $2400.

Granted, it is 4 nights shorter, but serious price difference.

But again' date=' you can pick and choose your cruises.

May 2015 15 night trans-Atlantic Magic inside cabin for 2 people is just under $6K. A balcony is over $8000

September 2015, 11 night trans-Atlantic Magic Inside cabin is $1600 for 2, balcony is $2400.

Granted, it is 4 nights shorter, but serious price difference.[/quote']

It's really tough to use a pick and choose argument for a trans atlantic cruise. Each ship (other than QE2 and QV) only do one each way in a given year. Also, an Eastern route in May Is completely different than a western route in September. Two completely different passenger profiles, and motivations for selecting the cruise.

This is why I cruise on Celebrity:

10 night Caribbean

Concierge class balcony (C3) (includes sparkling bottle of wine, robes, flowers, canapes every evening, footstool on balcony)

Drinks package (alcohol, wine, beer, specialty coffees and waters and teas)

$100 on board credit

dinner in a specialty restaurant for 1 evening

gratuities

And we can opt for specialty dining package which is every night in SD restaurants, all lunches at SD restaurants and a champagne brunch all for $29 a day each.

$1655 per person for a Thanksgiving cruise on a beautiful S class ship including all taxes and fees.

And we find the staff on Celebrity every bit as nice and professional as DCL. But it is fun to cruise DCL every now and then.

My DCL bargain was this past May, Panama Canal for 15 nights, $2400 or so each. Not including extras (specialty dining, gratuities...). But it was a bit cheaper than Celebrity. We're flexible!

Not at all uncommon. We're on FOS Eastern 3/8/15. D1 Balcony for $2975 (including insurance and taxes). Just went out and checked Disney Fantasy 3/7/15 Eastern. The lowest balcony category (7A) was $4485 (including insurance and taxes). Both 7-night, both do St Thomas and St Maartan, so the $1,500 difference comes down to Disney's private island vs. RCL's private island 30 miles away. For $1500, I can take another 3-night cruise on RCL in a JR suite. No contest. :)

When did you book your FOS Eastern 3/8/15. D1 Balcony and when did they release the reservations?

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Also, an Eastern route in May Is completely different than a western route in September. Two completely different passenger profiles, and motivations for selecting the cruise.

If you say so. A LOT of people do both ways. That doesn't add up to such a different passenger profile.

This is why I cruise on Celebrity:

10 night Caribbean

Concierge class balcony (C3) (includes sparkling bottle of wine, robes, flowers, canapes every evening, footstool on balcony)

Drinks package (alcohol, wine, beer, specialty coffees and waters and teas)

$100 on board credit

dinner in a specialty restaurant for 1 evening

gratuities

And we can opt for specialty dining package which is every night in SD restaurants, all lunches at SD restaurants and a champagne brunch all for $29 a day each.

$1655 per person for a Thanksgiving cruise on a beautiful S class ship including all taxes and fees.

And we find the staff on Celebrity every bit as nice and professional as DCL. But it is fun to cruise DCL every now and then.

My DCL bargain was this past May, Panama Canal for 15 nights, $2400 or so each. Not including extras (specialty dining, gratuities...). But it was a bit cheaper than Celebrity. We're flexible!

And you would be silly to not do that cruise!

I totally see why money wise!

You HAVE to be a Disney fan to pay their prices unless you have kids or grandkids!

ex techie

If you say so. A LOT of people do both ways. That doesn't add up to such a different passenger profile.

The difference is on an Easterly route in May, you're much more likely to find passengers who spend time post cruise touring Europe, and in the fall you're much more likely to find people who fly over just to do the TA back. In May you are more likely to get families traveling at the end of the school year, but in the fall everyone's back in school. Disney has always had difficulty filling its west bound TA's, so them virtually giving away cabins on that route is nothing new. The other big difference is that Disney only does one TA cycle, and even that's not every year, but every other major cruise line does multiple ships both ways every year. This year you have a choice of more than 20 ships doing TA's.

Then I guess 2014 on DCL was an aberration. Early on, the WBTA was completely full. I was able to book when there was a cancellation and took a GTY assignment. Then, before the penalty date, there were openings and we were able to get the cabin we wanted. At this point, only a few inside cabins remain unsold, and there have been no discounts.

In contrast, the EBTA was far from full and we picked up a good deal on a VGT booking. There were 600 kids ages 0-17 on board. That's up from 400 last year, but far fewer than the standard 1000-1200 on a 7 night Magic cruise. Very few of the kids were over 7 years old. Few kids can skip school at the end of the year with state mandated testing, AP tests, finals, etc.

The better the itinerary - the higher the Disney Transatlantic cruise price. The May 2015 TA has a great itinerary, and that's why the remaining cabins have almost doubled in price. The Sept. 2015 TA goes to only one port (Madeira) plus Castaway Cay, and those prices haven't increased at all.

This year - the Sept. WBTA has the better itinerary.