Explorer Self-debarkation

adomek

I am on the Explorer of the Seas 10/23/14 sailing and I have never tried the self debarkation. We have a tight air schedule and I've been reading that we should do this to meet our car service. Has anyone sat their luggage out as if you were going to wait to be called but gone down early to customs with everyone else dragging their luggage? I'm concerned my elderly parents will have trouble managing their bags.

If you leave your luggage out the night before, it might not have made it to the terminal when you leave and you can't go through customs without it. Your parents would need to be able to handle their bags going down stairs as well as on the shuttle.

I've done it with my 80 year old mother. I think it would be very difficult with two elderly parents unless they are able to take care of their own luggage. I handle both mine and my mother's suitcases. She can't manage herself because she loses her balance. Don't forget, you have to take the bus back to the terminal. The bus is the worst part as far as I'm concerned. Having said all that, I still do it every year. Just be aware of the possible difficulties. If you do decide to do express walk off, sign up early to get a low departure number.

If you leave your luggage out the night before, it might not have made it to the terminal when you leave and you can't go through customs without it. Your parents would need to be able to handle their bags going down stairs as well as on the shuttle.

Thanks for the information. I didn't know if the luggage that had been set out would be there or not. I think we should be able to help them get their luggage onto the shuttle bus.

With a 1:40 flight from LGA I would NOT self disembark. I would go to guest services early, request an early disembarkation time, and tell them your flight is at 11:30. That way you will get a low number and your luggage will be available when you get off the ship. A car service at 10 am will get you to LGA in plenty of time for your flight.

I've sailed many times on the EX and have seen total chaos with the self disembarkation. There is no reason to subject your elderly parents to that.

I agree with the PP, EX self debarkation can get pretty crazy! We have a RFS, and I think last time we got number 2's? You can have my tags, I never get off early! I like to enjoy breakfast and take my time before they boot me off :D

(And Im being totally serious - we can meet up on ship and trade tags, just let me know!)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by jmrothermel

I agree with the PP, EX self debarkation can get pretty crazy! We have a RFS, and I think last time we got number 2's? You can have my tags, I never get off early! I like to enjoy breakfast and take my time before they boot me off :D

(And Im being totally serious - we can meet up on ship and trade tags, just let me know!)

That is SO nice of you to offer. I can let guest services know I have an early flight. I feel better that 1:40pm seems doable if I'm off by 10. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

Just got off Explorer last week. Self disembark were the first ones off beginning around 8:30 then they started calling numbers around 9:30.But it was very hectic in the terminal and the lines for cabs was pretty long and slow

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Don't worry about contradicting me Ruth! I know that folks' experience disembarking the EX are all over the place sometimes. The best you can do is to be persistent and aggressive - asking as soon as you board could help. There is always the option of not sending your luggage through the system and just walking off at the end of self disembarkation. Finding someone who can offer you low numbered tags is also a strategy. Over the years I've found that each cruise can be a new disembarkation experience.

And if I recall correctly, the online sea pass registration is another place you can identify what your disembarkation requirements are.

That is SO nice of you to offer. I can let guest services know I have an early flight. I feel better that 1:40pm seems doable if I'm off by 10. Thanks to everyone for their help :)

No problem! If for some reason Guest Services doesn't accommodate your request, we're in RFS 8394. Just slip a note under our door or call on the phone if you need the lower numbers. My name is Jacqui :)