British Airways First Class when not travelling alone

sverigecruiser

It reminds me of the time when we checked in at HKG (booked in Club World) and the check-in agent said very sorry, but we will probably only have one empty seat in First, would you mind being split if we have to move one of you to First?

Needless to say, I was left alone in Club - that's how it works in our household.

We should both stay in Club World if that was possible! I'm sure they could find someone travelling alone to move to First instead of one of us. If we had to split, she would get the First seat but I should demand to be able to eat with her and sit on her "extra seat" as much as possible.

Since we normally fly in World Traveller, Club World is defenitely good enough so we will be happy with that.

Edited by sverigecruiser

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided that Club World is good enough so I have booked that. Now the question is which seats are the best to choose? I like the window seat and think that it's nice to face each other during the flight but the two seats in the middle seams nice too.

If you're on a 747, try to get rows 62 or 64 on the upper deck (either side - A/B or J/K.) These seats are exit rows (62) or bulkhead (64) and allow the window passenger (A/K) access to the aisle without having to step over the aisle passenger. The upper deck is the place to be; quieter, usually superb service, a convenient storage cubby next to the window seat. Only drawback is that the overhead bins are more shallow due to the curve of the fuselage, but there's a closet by the stairs where you can place items that don't fit in the bins, and still have access to them during flight.

The two-same-facing seats in the middle are okay, but aisle access can be a pain.

If you're on a 747, try to get rows 62 or 64 on the upper deck (either side - A/B or J/K.) These seats are exit rows (62) or bulkhead (64) and allow the window passenger (A/K) access to the aisle without having to step over the aisle passenger. The upper deck is the place to be; quieter, usually superb service, a convenient storage cubby next to the window seat. Only drawback is that the overhead bins are more shallow due to the curve of the fuselage, but there's a closet by the stairs where you can place items that don't fit in the bins, and still have access to them during flight.

The two-same-facing seats in the middle are okay, but aisle access can be a pain.

Thank you. If it doesn't change the flight will be on a 777. How different is the aisle access on the different planes? I have only been in Club World in a 787 and on that plane all seats had aisle access without stepping over anyone.

Edited by sverigecruiser

If it doesn't change the flight will be on a 777. How different is the aisle access on the different planes? I have only been in Club World in a 787 and on that plane all seats had aisle access without stepping over anyone.
I don't think that can have been Club World; there's no British Airways aircraft fitted with CW where all the seats have direct aisle access. The closest you can get to that is on the 767, which is configured 2-2-2; in the middle block of 2 seats, both seats have direct aisle access.

In most CW seats, the occupant of any seat that isn't an aisle seat may have to step over the feet of an aisle seat passenger to reach the aisle. This isn't difficult; basically you only have to do this if the aisle seat passenger is lying flat on the seat, in which position they're only about a foot off the floor.

In the last row of any cabin section, the window seat passenger and the middle middle seat passengers can get out to the aisle without stepping over anyone else. You can see this, for example, in this seat map for a 777: look at seats 15A, 15E, 15F and 15K - all of them don't need to step over anyone else.

However, you need to look at the seat map for your planned aircraft and match it to a seat map on that site (which has the best seat maps for BA aircraft of any publicly available site - any you must ignore seatguru).

It's a real pity that you aren't on a 747. Why don't you cancel what you've booked and re-book onto 747s in both directions? The upper deck on a 747 is a special experience. You may have a 24-hour full-refund cancellation period if you booked directly with BA - but if you do, remember that you need to phone to do this.

FWIW, we like window side pairs so that we're facing each other. It's so much more natural to talk and dine together that way.

I don't think that can have been Club World; there's no British Airways aircraft fitted with CW where all the seats have direct aisle access. The closest you can get to that is on the 767, which is configured 2-2-2; in the middle block of 2 seats, both seats have direct aisle access.

In most CW seats, the occupant of any seat that isn't an aisle seat may have to step over the feet of an aisle seat passenger to reach the aisle. This isn't difficult; basically you only have to do this if the aisle seat passenger is lying flat on the seat, in which position they're only about a foot off the floor.

In the last row of any cabin section, the window seat passenger and the middle middle seat passengers can get out to the aisle without stepping over anyone else. You can see this, for example, in this seat map for a 777: look at seats 15A, 15E, 15F and 15K - all of them don't need to step over anyone else.

However, you need to look at the seat map for your planned aircraft and match it to a seat map on that site (which has the best seat maps for BA aircraft of any publicly available site - any you must ignore seatguru).

It's a real pity that you aren't on a 747. Why don't you cancel what you've booked and re-book onto 747s in both directions? The upper deck on a 747 is a special experience. You may have a 24-hour full-refund cancellation period if you booked directly with BA - but if you do, remember that you need to phone to do this.

FWIW, we like window side pairs so that we're facing each other. It's so much more natural to talk and dine together that way.

I'm sure it was Club World and 787 because it was last summer when they used one 787 between London and Stockholm before it got in service on the London-Toronto route.

I had a window seat and had free access to the aisle. (It was not the last row.)

Since you seem to be a real professional it may help if I say that it was G-ZBJA (or maybe G-2BJA).

I really appreciate your answer!

Edited by sverigecruiser

I'm sure it was Club World and 787 because it was last summer when they used one 787 between London and Stockholm before it got in service on the London-Toronto route.

I had a window seat and had free access to the aisle. (It was not the last row.)

Since you seem to be a real professional it may help if I say that it was G-ZBJA (or maybe G-2BJA).

It would have been G-ZBJA - the Z was used because it looks a bit like a 7, as does J. But the effect has been somewhat spoiled because it really ought to have been G-ZBZA. However, BA already has aircraft that are known as ZA, ZB and ZC (the first three 777s that BA received), so it couldn't do that.

However, I can't see how you could have had direct aisle access from the window seat unless you were in the last row of each cabin section (ie rows 3 or 7): http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/b787-8/35j25w154y.html.

It would have been G-ZBJA - the Z was used because it looks a bit like a 7, as does J. But the effect has been somewhat spoiled because it really ought to have been G-ZBZA. However, BA already has aircraft that are known as ZA, ZB and ZC (the first three 777s that BA received), so it couldn't do that.

However, I can't see how you could have had direct aisle access from the window seat unless you were in the last row of each cabin section (ie rows 3 or 7): http://www.thebasource.com/seatmaps/b787-8/35j25w154y.html.

Thank you for that link. On that picture, it seems like there is no aisle access from the windowseats!! I really can't see how I can remember so wrong when I think that I had free aisle access but since you seem to know so much I guess I have to admit that I was wrong!