Tell me about Haven with Kids......

HHW

Hello!

We are new to NCL and have booked a family villa in the Haven, sailing on the Jewel 10/11/2014.

I have read lots of Haven reviews and would love some input on the Haven experience with children - we have 10/6/4 year olds.

Any tips/advice, what to expect would be appreciated!

Thank you!

We were on the Breakaway in the Haven with our 3 (6,4 & 2) and they had a great time. The 2 bedrooms were perfect (though the 2 year old slept with us). Our room steward was always asking what they liked and if she could bring them any goodies. They loved the Jacuzzi in the Haven (it was always empty). There were Nickelodeon crafts they could do and went to Splash Academy once but didn't want to go back because they were in different age groups and didn't like being separated. We will be back to the Haven on the Gem next May with the kids because it worked out so nicely.:)

Edited by gobo

It's fabulous!

We took our 16 and 13 year olds and the crew treated them like kings and queens.

Our daughter has allergies and the crew, especially the Haven Maitre D' went out of their way to ensure she enjoyed her meals and ate safely. The crew checked in with her at every Haven meal and preplanned her outside the Haven meals directly with her.

Our butler, Rodney, paid special attention to the treats that they liked and asked them what else they wanted and then brought them something special every day. He brought them DVDs and Checked on activities for them outside the Haven

Our room steward created towel animals we had never seen and put them in fun, creative places.

The bartenders made up cool, non alcoholic drinks for them that made them feel included, but not inappropriately grown up. So no more Shirley Temples!

I noticed that the crew were just as attentive to younger kids and in the Haven Dining Room, really went out of their way to pay attention to guests of all ages.

As far as expectations, we had a really nice group of people in the Haven when we sailed, the parents of children ensured the kids behaved well and the people sailing without kids were really nice to the kids. I've read lots of complaints here, of poor interactions between kids and adults in the Haven. We did not witness any poor behavior on the part of any guest. I would say, let your kids enjoy the hot tubs and pools in the Haven, but make sure they aren't monopolizing them or splashing people trying to relax. Let them play in the Haven, but make sure they aren't playing in an area where someone is trying to have quiet time. There is a lot of deck space in the Haven, so there is plenty of space for games and quiet time for everyone.

My daughter really liked sunbathing in the Haven. My son was barely there, he loved having the run of the ship. Either way, the Getaway was a lot of fun and we all loved it.

You will have a lovely time in the Haven.

The villa and the services will be great regardless of the ship. However, as your read these reviews, keep in mind that the size, the types of service and the facilities in the Jewel Haven area will vary from that found on the larger ships such as the Breakaway and the Getaway. Fewer suites on the Jewel will equate to fewer people in the area as well.

My family of ten just returned an Alaskan cruise on the Pearl (sister ship to Jewel). We had three of the two bedroom Haven suites...my wife and self in one; son, DIL and two grandkids (8 and 6) in each of the other two. Due to the weather and the at sea time, grandkids fully utilized the small Haven pool/hot tub to the fullest.

We just got back from the Gem (same class as the Jewel). We loved it, and will never sail any other way! Stayed in a 2 BR family suite - me, DH, DS(age18), DDs(ages 15,10). DDs slept in the little 2nd bedroom, DS slept in the living area. We never felt cramped, and really enjoyed the space, especially the big windows in the Master bath looking out to the ocean. Balcony is decent sized too. (2 chairs and a table). They treat you like kings and queens in the Haven, and it was always so nice to know you could go there for some peace and quiet but still have the fun excitement of the main pool if you wanted that. Kids of all ages were in the Haven on our trip. They played in the pool, but never ran, screamed, jumped in, or splashed. Kudos to all the parents who "get it". Water, juice, Cookies, m&ms, and gummy bears are out in the courtyard in the afternoon. Pastries, fruit, coffee, tea & juice in the courtyard in the morning, if you want a quick bite or something to drink before breakfast.

You truly get priority reservations at all restaurants (not just specialty). We stopped by the reservations desk to make reservations, and were told only 9:30 was available. She asked what room number we were, then lo and behold we could have any time we wanted. Also, there's a separate section for Haven guests at all the shows. Not the best seats, but you can sit anywhere, but know that you always have a seat in that section if the theater is full.

Enjoy your trip!

PS The Haven pool is like a plunge pool, in that there is no real shallow or deep end. It is 3'11" at its deepest, and 3'6" at the "shallow" end. Your oldest will probably be able to stand, no problem. It's also a lap pool, so if you find yourself in it by yourself, turn on the jet and swim against the current for a good workout!

Edited by sharandmike

We stayed in a Haven suite on the Breakaway in June 2013. My kids were 11 (boy/girl twins) and they loved the Haven. They ate at the restaurant by themselves and the staff was fabulous with them. They loved the Haven pool because it was empty almost all trip. The staff will take care of them and make the trip wonderful. Enjoy your trip!

We stayed in a Haven suite on the Breakaway in June 2013. My kids were 11 (boy/girl twins) and they loved the Haven. They ate at the restaurant by themselves and the staff was fabulous with them. They loved the Haven pool because it was empty almost all trip. The staff will take care of them and make the trip wonderful. Enjoy your trip!

oh, those were YOUR kids making all that ...

just kidding =)

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

We stayed in a 2 bedroom family villa on the Epic November 2014. Boy oh boy. I could talk about it all day. I loved the fact that our son had his own space (bed, bath, and tv) when it was time to settle in for the night. I believe there were even DVD's you could check out that he could watch on the DVD player. I could be confusing that with one of our hotel stays but I don't think so.

We also made pretty good use of those courtesy phones and apparently so did our son. We were out to dinner one evening and we received a call from our butler stating that our son who decided not to go to kids club desired a pizza. He said he was happy to bring it to him but wanted to make sure it was okay. When we got on the ship, he didn't know what a butler was but he picked up on it pretty fast. We told him he could make reasonable requests as long as he still called him sir and said please and thank you and was extremely polite.

We loved our son being able to enjoy the pool without a million people around and he did sit in the jacuzzi (when empty). We told him if an adult got in the jacuzzi with him he needed to get out without us having to yell it to him.

We especially enjoyed being able to take the back entrance into all of the shows we booked. Being seated without the hustle and bustle of the crowds 15 minutes prior made it super convenient. One evening when we were there for Blue Man Group, our son had forgotten his jacket and our concierge offered to have our butler go to our room and grab it. I thought that was very nice. We didn't ask, I would have run back up there to get it but he brought it into the show and we were happy.

Priority tender for excursions when you have kids is great! I think being in the Haven just pretty much made cruise life easier. I thought J would spend more time in the community areas but he chose to spend a great deal of time in the Haven areas so it was well worth it.

Sigh...wish we could do it again this year. But, they will have their own room this year so although we won't have a butler or special restaurants, we'll still enjoy having some adult time. :) You are going to LOVE your villa. LOVE LOVE LOVE. But, be prepared...unless you intend to book it on the regular, cruising will never feel the same! LOL

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Hello!

We are new to NCL and have booked a family villa in the Haven, sailing on the Jewel 10/11/2014.

.../QUOTE]

I am confused on which cabin this is. They have the Garden Villa (3BR), 2BR Haven Suites (same as 2BR suites elsewhere on ship), and 2 1BR suites.

Which is the Family Villa?

garycarla....We are in 14008, H4 2 BR family villa...

Thank you very much for input, cruisecritiquer! I am getting more excited as we get closer - I have heard that once we experience the Haven, we wont want to cruise any other way - We haven't even been and I am wanting to do a European Transatlantic!! Have to plan a little bit more for that, though!

H

garycarla....We are in 14008, H4 2 BR family villa...

Thank you very much for input, cruisecritiquer! I am getting more excited as we get closer - I have heard that once we experience the Haven, we wont want to cruise any other way - We haven't even been and I am wanting to do a European Transatlantic!! Have to plan a little bit more for that, though!

H

Remember to take your courtesy phones with you wherever you go. That way if you need something, decide you want reservations at the last minute or a show, you can reach him easily without having to go way back up to your little cabin in the sky. :)

Here's an amenities chart if you haven't seen one. http://thehaven.ncl.com/assets/docs/Haven_amenities_chart.pdf

You'll even get to make a pillow and coffee selection. Oh those espresso machines, LOVE!

And here's the Haven website. http://thehaven.ncl.com/

You probably have seen all this already but just in case there they are.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Hi....I don't want to highjack this thread, but felt there wasn't a need to start another one. I have one quick question...

I'm looking at possibly booking a haven suite for next year. My wife and I will be going with our 3 kids (3,2,2). I'm curious if we should be ok with them there. Most of everyone who has responded has had kids older.

Thanks,

Your little ones will be fine in the Haven. I saw toddlers and babies and they looked like they were having fun. The parents of younger kids that I saw were vigilant about ensuring that the little kids didn't bother quieter guests. In return, the quieter guests, across the board, were very nice and accommodated the playtime of the little kids.

As I said above, the crew is wonderful with kids of all ages.

As parents, keep an eye on your children's needs for naps or downtime so that their daily patterns are optimal for them. That way, they'll be well rested and happy and the Haven environment will be a good fit.

The Haven is sold to families with kids and those looking for a quiet, spa like experience. Both groups are fine in the Haven when everyone tries to be considerate of the others.

Also, my memory of the Getaway Haven is that the baby/toddler playroom is right around the corner from the Haven. I don't know where it is on other ships. The kids pool zone is just outside and down the steps from the Haven as well

The rooms were soundproof for us too, no need to worry about the neighbors hearing any fussing.

Book the Haven and enjoy with your kids!

Hello!

.../QUOTE]

I am confused on which cabin this is. They have the Garden Villa (3BR), 2BR Haven Suites (same as 2BR suites elsewhere on ship), and 2 1BR suites.

Which is the Family Villa?

Yeah, I was wondering which is a family villa in the Haven?? We were on the Jewel in the Haven last trip and I don't know which suite this is. OP, what is your room category? H? or is it an S?

From the Norwegian Website Jewel Stateroom Descriptions Page...

The Haven 2-Bedroom Family Villa with Balcony

Up to six guests can enjoy these Villas that are perfect if you want to bring the kids. They have one bedroom with a queen-size bed and a luxury bath and shower, as well as a separate children's bedroom. Also features a living area, dining area and private balcony. You will also have access to the private courtyard area. Includes butler and concierge service.

These suites have been referred to as Haven Family Villas for quite a while now. Those on Deck 11 of the Jewel Class ships are still referred to as 2-Bedroom Family Suite with Balcony

Hope that helps clear up the confusion. ;)

As parents, keep an eye on your children's needs for naps or downtime so that their daily patterns are optimal for them. That way, they'll be well rested and happy and the Haven environment will be a good fit.

an incredibly reasonable assessment.

easycruiser77: my kids are 3 and 2.

an incredibly reasonable assessment.

easycruiser77: my kids are 3 and 2.

Definitely. We cruised when our daughter was 13 months. And kept her schedule the same as when we were home. It worked out well except for the boarding day, but that's always hectic. My wife and I always make sure our kids are behaving.

PS The Haven pool is like a plunge pool, in that there is no real shallow or deep end. It is 3'11" at its deepest, and 3'6" at the "shallow" end. Your oldest will probably be able to stand, no problem. It's also a lap pool, so if you find yourself in it by yourself, turn on the jet and swim against the current for a good workout!

This is the first I'm hearing that! Cool! That's why this site is so amazing! Without this site, We might have gone on the cruise and not even know some things exist!