QE2 - January 3, 2006 - Six Day Crossing

eroller

Christy,

I was wondering the same thing, because I can only choose one coat, also. I want a very warm coat so that I can be outside on decks and stay warm. It should be comfortable enough to wear for all occassions while in London and traveling to Southampton. Dressy yet casual. What are your choices?

Jan

:confused:

Hi!

I have the typical winter wool coats - warm but not waterproof. Black, of course! I definitely have waterproof fleece, but it's a ski-jacket and might look funny over my formal gown!:rolleyes:

What is a "cagoule?" Down here in Arkansas, we don't use that word, y'all!

Can you tell I'm getting excited...even though I have no travel docs and I have been assigned to one of the bucking bronco rooms during a storm?

--Christy

Cagoule is probably a British word, I think stateside it's called something like a windbreaker or possible a stowaway. It is a very light waterproof jacket that will pack away to nothing. Low cost to so you don't need to care about it getting damaged.

Stictly a cagoule will not be full zip so you need to pull it over your head, I say take the full zip version.

As for my job, it is somewhere I should be on my way to at this moment. I have so much to do in the next six days that it is not even slightly funny.

Jon,

I have a week more than you, took a day off today to do some planning, finding things (accessories, jewelry, the right shoes, etc) and hopefully start some of my packing (HA!) for the 3 Jan Panama. And becasue I am about to lose my time if I don't use most of it by the end of the year!

Now I am thinking I ned tomorrow and Friday off, too! Can we cancel Christmas and New year? That will give me two extra packing days without having something else scheduled!

My new suitcases arrived from E Bags yesterday. I'm anxious to start filling them! (Our old ones are getting ragged- Porter knocked a wheel off of one last trip, Previous trip a handle broke on another)

And I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out how to get to New York City from Eastern Connecticut. Most everyone agrees to head down I-84 to 684, but there is disagreement after that. I think I decided on the Cross County to the Hudson River Parkway or Rte 9A

Unfortunately, my expensive atlas mapping software picks some really ridiculous routes. It isn't that easy to mark preferences and such. And I simply don't know New York and what to avoid!

Hopefully the transit strike is over by then- But at least I will be on West Side, not east side, which seems to be worse

Karie

Oh yeah! You're a list person! :D

Hey! I don't see a problem with his spreadsheet.

I use word, so what's the diff? Put a copy inside the suitcase (on top) labelled "contents" That way, if flying the TSA knows what is in there, and hopeully won't pull it apart as bad (though mine always seem to get those little tags and seals on them.) My bags must simply look like the bags of a troublemaker- Non-descript, and with too much stuff in them!)

Keep extra copies plus the one on my hard drive. (and laptop if bringing it) so if anything goes missing.....

Hi.

I have read various notes/reviews about the workout facilities on board, but I wanted to get your opinion. My general form of exercise is running, and I know that won't be possible on board. (When I went on the Carnival Sensation, there was a track on the top deck. 22 times around made a mile. By the time I had finished my mileage, I was dizzy. You weren't allowed to run the opposite direction!) Anyway, I was wondering what the workout facilities were like...treadmills, weight machines, etc? Also, is there any kind of yoga, aerobics, or pilates class?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any and all help!

--Christy

Hi.

Anyway, I was wondering what the workout facilities were like...treadmills, weight machines, etc? Also, is there any kind of yoga, aerobics, or pilates class?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any and all help!

--Christy

Hi

yes, yes, and yes. yes. ;)

jogging on the boat deck is very popular on QE2, especially in the morning. Even in the cold and in a moderate sea.

I think 5 times around = 1 mile.

The gym is small, but adequate, IMHO. Diverse excercize classes are offered throught the day. Some of them are an extra fee, usually $10-$15. I have taken some of them, and enjoyed all that I did.

Ask away, any time!

One thing a QE2 lover loves to do is talk about QE2! :)

Hopefully the transit strike is over by then

By 9 Jan? It certainly should be. If it isn't, we're in big trouble (and when I say "we" I mean New Yorkers, not WCC members!). But I really doubt it will, unless the transit workers want to be villified even more than they already have (and believe me, passions are running high - New Yorkers do not like being separated from public transportation).

I was supposed to go into Manhattan tomorrow to meet a friend who's visiting from Singapore... Not happening now :mad: !

On the list issue... Completely unrelated to this thread (which he is not reading, at least not to my knowledge), a good friend of mine just sent me the most amazing list... A record of all the ship visits (including sailings) he's made since his first at age four. He's got 927 visits on there (including 77 sailings), and 161 ships. Really amazing stuff.

Maybe ship nuts justs like lists?

By 9 Jan? It certainly should be. If it isn't, we're in big trouble (and when I say "we" I mean New Yorkers, not WCC members!). But I really doubt it will, unless the transit workers want to be villified even more than they already have (and believe me, passions are running high - New Yorkers do not like being separated from public transportation).

I was supposed to go into Manhattan tomorrow to meet a friend who's visiting from Singapore... Not happening now :mad: !

On the list issue... Completely unrelated to this thread (which he is not reading, at least not to my knowledge), a good friend of mine just sent me the most amazing list... A record of all the ship visits (including sailings) he's made since his first at age four. He's got 927 visits on there (including 77 sailings), and 161 ships. Really amazing stuff.

Maybe ship nuts justs like lists?

Sorry about your friend from Singapore. I decry the fact that we have lousy public transportation in CT, so I could't take it if I wanted to, but then, this is the result of having it and losing it! For all of the cars and traffic in NYC, everyone knows that no one has a car! <LOL> Those are all tourists in rentals, right? I have a friend who is principal cellist for the Met and the Phil. I know he used to pay as much to garage his car as I would for an apartment! And that was a lot of yeas ago!

As for the friend with the ship visits- Wow! That's substantial! (He's 92, right?) And we make lists to bide our time while waiting for the next cruise!

I have two days of work this week left and a million things to get done. This plus the fact that I a off for three weeks in January only exaccerbates the problem.

It is so soon and the weather is looking like it is going to co-operate at the moment.

If you had to choose one coat and only one coat to bring on this trip, what would you bring...or what qualities would this coat have? Thanks, Christy

Christy,

Its a very good question - and one I battle with each crossing - the (practical) bright yellow wind/waterproof thats been to Antarctica and back, or the (more stylish) double breasted camel cashmere Chester Barrie overcoat, bagged in the Harrods sale and at 40% off still twice as much as I'd paid for any coat ever.

You get one guess.

Peter

Sorry about your friend from Singapore.

Yes, meeting all organised etc. but the whole thing's gone a bit awry what with the strike.

I have had a really, really lousy record in the past six months or so when it comes to social life. In the past two weeks alone I've had to miss seeing two out-of-town friends!

Hopefully this crossing should make up for it all, and will bode for a more sociable 2006. (All these friends are "shippy" people incidentally; I'm not naturally an antisocial person but when half your friends live at least a continent away, a traditional social life is a little difficult ;) ...)

I decry the fact that we have lousy public transportation in CT, so I could't take it if I wanted to

Well, I live on relatively car-centric Long Island, but still use public transport to get to and around NYC. The strike still has a big effect though for the millions and millions of us who live in the outer boroughs and the suburbs.

For all of the cars and traffic in NYC, everyone knows that no one has a car! <LOL>

Not most of the people I know, but obviously some people have cars or else there wouldn't be all that traffic.

(Forget tourists, if the people in the cars were tourists, then the death rate among tourists to NYC would be spectacular. I think most tourists who tried to drive in Manhattan would have a maximum of five minutes before getting into a major accident.)

As for the friend with the ship visits- Wow! That's substantial! (He's 92, right?)

LOL... I'm sure you've got a picture of this decrepit old guy in your head, but that's not even close to reality. He's just been visiting ships every chance he gets since he was practically a toddler!

He's visited virtually everything that has come into the Port of New York in the past 35 years or so. What's more, he remembers the details of all the ships... Even the details of many of the visits themselves!

I really have to get him to do a winter crossing; he's exactly the sort of person that belongs on a voyage like this, and exactly the sort of person I hope to meet on this crossing. As much as I love to talk about ships, listening to people who know a lot more than I do and have a lot more experience than I do is infinitely preferable :) ...

Does everybody have their documents yet? I still don't have mine! Getting a little concerned.

I can hardly wait for January 2. With this trip being such a last minute thing, and right after the holidays, I am concerned that I won't get everything done, or forget something. Normally, I am already packed by now. This time I haven't even printed off my packing lists yet!

Allis154

For all of the cars and traffic in NYC, everyone knows that no one has a car!

When I lived in NYC (Queens and Manhattan), I was one of those CRAZY people that had a car. Of course you have to realize I moved there after 10 years of living in car-crazed LA. Just about anyone from LA can't imagine living without a car. As it turned out, it wasn't so bad. Traffic was no worse than LA or Atlanta, and I learned my way around quite well. My driving technique fit right in as well ... I'm a very aggressive driver so no problem there. My apartment in Queens (Forest Hills) had no garage, so it was street parking only. The street cleaning was a real pain in the a--. I would have to move the car on certain days and it was never easy getting a space. Amazingly my second apartment in Manhattan (Yorkville) included a garage and *free* parking space. I also had free parking at all the airports (where I would go to work).

The hardest part ... the roads. They are in such miserably poor condition that my car was literally torn apart. I think I saw some potholes that were about as big as my car! Needless to say after leaving NY I also traded in the car.

Driving in NY can be fun ... where else but on the Van Wyck can you be sitting in traffic and also have a "car to car" salesman sell you a new stereo or phone right in the middle of the expressway! :)

Ernie

Good morning, folks!

You all have been so wonderful! I find so many answers to my questions either by reading other people's posts or by reading the answers to my posts. Thanks so much for your patience!

All this talk about packing lists is making me think about mine. What are some of the items that you would suggest I pack (other than the clothes and the normal essentials)? Anything out of the ordinary that would come in handy?

--Christy

http://www.timetableimages.com/maritime/images/cun87i2.htm

Calvalcade of cabins: above is a link to vintage QE2 cabin photos

David---who crossed in Dec 2003

Great Link, David! IF the grades were the same as on my 1971 Deck Plan, then Grades translate as (taking the first and last mentions on the deck plan):

• L - 1104 - C2 or 4208 C3
  • H - 3070 - C2 or 3154 C1
  • J - 2012 - M0 or 4004 M0
  • D - 1026 - Q3 or 2122 CA
  • B - 2065 - Q3 or 2092 Q3
  • F - 1006 - C2 or 2126 P2

Interesting how cabins, except for the Q3 and M0 have shifted between grades over the years, and how some grades were shared by both one and two berth cabins. Or how a tiny First Class cabin single cabin - 2092 has crashed through the ranks to Caronia. Clearly there was a lot of flexibility designed into cabin assignment.

Peter

Finally! Documents are in!

Just spoke to TA. She says that our documents are in. As our regular TA is now on vacation, and I don't know who this is, I am hoping she didn't confuse the first 'old' set with our new ones!

We'll pick them up after work, and carefully check them over. Seems more real now!!

Hi Peter,

I've played "musical cabins" so many times (four so far I think) I'm still not sure where I will end up. ;) In any case, when my cabin is confirmed I will post it .... and certainly plan to participate in the "Cabin Cavalcade".

Ernie

Hi Ernie,

I just hope the a/c works, wherever you end up!

I've also looked at our Cabins original grades, per 1971:

Sfo-john – 4217 – Cat M1 - M

Transatlantic tom (Tom and Jan) – 4115 – Cat M1 - M

Host Doug (Doug) – 4143 – Cat C5 - P

Allis154 (Kyla & Troy) – 5168 – Cat M4 - Q

Transat (Chris) – 3099 – Cat P2 - H

Greatam (Dennis &Gina) – 2045 – Cat P2 - F

Calliope (Frank & Cheryl) – 3036 – Cat C2 - I

Post Captain (John & Maureen) – 4203 – Cat C3 - L

Juliecat (Julia) – 4248 – Cat C4 - P

BrianBoru (Chris) – 3006 – Cat MO - O

Chris & Angela – 8184 – Cat Q2 - not built then

NewtoQE2 (Christy) – 3008 – Cat C5 - Q

Guernseyguy (Peter & Jon) - 4165 - Cat C5 - M

So we have in the 'M' grade both M1 and C5 cabins, but interestingly within C5 we have both 'M', 'P' and 'Q' cabins. As the 1971 order appears to be alphabetically ordered the C4 'P', would in 1971 have been cheaper than the M1 'M'.

I hope you've been paying attention.....because I'm completely lost!

Peter

Hi.

Anyway, I was wondering what the workout facilities were like...treadmills, weight machines, etc?

--Christy

Hi Christy

I should have told you that the gym tends to be very busy, and crowded in the morning. I go in the afternoon when I am often one of only a few people.

The cardio machines are by reservation. There are sign-up clip-boards for each machine, just write your name down on the day and time that you wish to use the machine. During the busy mornings you will be expected to adhere to the time limit of, I think, 20 minutes. In the afternoons it's pretty much wide open. If you prefer a morning workout, do the sign-up for the machines ASAP, as all the morning times book quickly.

On the day of departure from Southampton, the gym and spa hosts an open-house where you can check out the facilities, meet the staff, book classes and spa treatments, and enjoy a glass of complementary sparkling wine. The spa offers a ten-percent discount on spa treatments booked during the open house. There are usually staff passing out fliers in the embarkation hall before boarding, which will give you details. The open house is usually very well attended (free booze! :p ) and the choicest times for massages and treatments book up quickly.

What to do with your sweaty workout clothes? If you want to use the self-serve and free laundrette (3 deck starboard aft), things get pretty wild in there :( from opening (6am or 7am, not sure, closes 8pm) through lunch. Lunchtime is a good time to get a machine, as is late afternoon and early evening. In other words, the best times to get a machine aren't the most convenient. There is free powder, and an ironing room.

Living in NY can be fun ... where else but on the Van Wyck can you be sitting in traffic and also have a "car to car" salesman sell you a new stereo or phone right in the middle of the expressway! :)

Ernie

I am so glad other people have seen this. My friends don't believe me when I tell the story. NO ONE except people who either live in NY and drive or travel there frequently by vehicle can appreciate "WalMart in the middle of the freewaY'

About 18 years ago-trying to get to Jersey from the Brooklyn piers to make a pickup on Dec. 23. Had to be at the warehouse before 2:00PM, as they were closing for their Xmas party. Northbound towards the GW Bridge. Traffic stopped right by the police station "Fort Apache, the Bronx".

I don't know where those people selling everything you could imagine came from, but I literally saw people doing their Xmas shopping in the middle of the freeway. I was hopping the freeway fence to call the warehouse from the police station payphone to let them know I was "progressing". And was accosted with sellers of more merchandise than they have at Bloomies.

ONLY in NYC.

And was accosted with sellers of more merchandise than they have at Bloomies.

ONLY in NYC.

That was Ex-Bloomies merchandise obtained through the five finger discount. A&S had to close their Brooklyn store becasue they could not keep it stocked due to pilfering out of both the front and back doors.

Archived