A few nice photos of the ex Empress of the Seas

Talk about small cabins!!

My first sailing on her was with several friends. We had 4 women in the cabin. We did several cruise like that. We made out fine. Can't remember them being that small. I guess we were just happy to be on a cruise. We mostly do inside cabins now' date=' but, that is just my husband and I. :p

Thanks OP, for posting those pictures. I just loved that ship. My husband never got to sail on her.

Gwen :) [/i']

Sounds like she was a really popular ship. It's a shame I didn't start cruising while these older ships were still sailing with Royal Caribbean. It would be great to make the comparison, but I don't think a trip with Pullmantur would be for me.

• 2 months later...

The Nordic Empress was the first cruise ship I ever sailed on in 1993. A beautiful dining room, which was called "The Carmen Dining Room". The windows were indeed the "Wow" factor.

Also the first two tiered dining room within the fleet.

The Centrum, with the beautiful fountain, seems old now, but was it great back then

The Nordic Empress was being built in France, for a company called Admiral Cruises. The name was supposed to be "Future Seas" but after the merger/takeover of Admiral/RCCL the ship became the "Nordic Empress"

The merger was to ward off a takeover by some company called Carnival !!

Funny that the ship building was started by a company called Admiral, and finished by a company called RCCL.

I think Admiral had another ship, the Old Car ferry turned cruise ship, Viking Sernade which also became part of the RCCL fleet. (never warmed to that ship. Did one cruise and that was enough.)

Lots of nice memories of the Nordic Empress. Sailed on her 8 times ranging from 3/4 day cruises from Miami, to week long cruises from San Juan.

Looking at her now in those pictures, she looks so small in her new blue colours.

But I remember being on P&O Oceana for a cruise in 2001, cannot remember the port, but it was tendering. The ship next to us made my heart jump.

It was the Nordic Empress, under her new name of "Empress of the Seas".

My first ship, my first cruise, and there it was. Wow did she look good.

Am going to have a look and see if I can find any holiday pics from my very first cruise.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
too much medication

Thanks for sharing. I was in high school back in 2001 when my family booked a cruise on the Empress. Our sailing was the one directly after the fire cruise, so we were rebooked on Enchantment.

I can remember watching her sail down the Hudson River in the weeks ahead of our cruise. Beautiful ship.

[quote name='P&O Lynn Knickers']The Nordic Empress was the first cruise ship I ever sailed on in 1993. A beautiful dining room, which was called "The Carmen Dining Room". The windows were indeed the "Wow" factor.
Also the first two tiered dining room within the fleet.
The Centrum, with the beautiful fountain, seems old now, but was it great back then

The Nordic Empress was being built in France, for a company called Admiral Cruises. The name was supposed to be "Future Seas" but after the merger/takeover of Admiral/RCCL the ship became the "Nordic Empress"
The merger was to ward off a takeover by some company called Carnival !!
Funny that the ship building was started by a company called Admiral, and finished by a company called RCCL.
I think Admiral had another ship, the Old Car ferry turned cruise ship, Viking Sernade which also became part of the RCCL fleet. (never warmed to that ship. Did one cruise and that was enough.)

Lots of nice memories of the Nordic Empress. Sailed on her 8 times ranging from 3/4 day cruises from Miami, to week long cruises from San Juan.

Looking at her now in those pictures, she looks so small in her new blue colours.

But I remember being on P&O Oceana for a cruise in 2001, cannot remember the port, but it was tendering. The ship next to us made my heart jump.
It was the Nordic Empress, under her new name of "Empress of the Seas".
My first ship, my first cruise, and there it was. Wow did she look good.

Am going to have a look and see if I can find any holiday pics from my very first cruise.[/QUOTE]

Do you have any pictures of her interiors as she was with Royal Caribbean? I'd be really interested to see some if you could post them here :)