Earliest Venice flight to UK

timetravellers

We have just confirmed our first MSC cruise sailing from Venice next year.

We are proposing to book the MSC transfers from and to the airport but will book our own flights.

What is the earliest MSC transfer from the ship to the airport? I have received conflicting information from the MSC booking agents. One says it is safe to catch a flight from 11.30 am and the other said not to book one before 1pm.

Does anyone have an experience of this?

The ship is Magnifica.

Thanks

We have just confirmed our first MSC cruise sailing from Venice next year.

We are proposing to book the MSC transfers from and to the airport but will book our own flights.

What is the earliest MSC transfer from the ship to the airport? I have received conflicting information from the MSC booking agents. One says it is safe to catch a flight from 11.30 am and the other said not to book one before 1pm.

Does anyone have an experience of this?

The ship is Magnifica.

Thanks

It is dependant on the season,

I've been on 4 cruises from Venice and on two occasions was held outside the port until gone 10:00 because of fog .Once in Sept and once in Oct.

People with early flights missed them because of the delay.

i've always opted for a flight after 18:00, got off quickly, left my luggage at the left luggage office at the bus station and enjoyed a good few hours exploring Venice. Usually we get a bus to the airport between 15:00 and 16:00.

We have a 3.5 to 4 hr drive to Wales when we get home so it's do-able remembring you get an hour "back" on the flight home,

We've never been back home after midnight, usually we get home between 10:30 and 11:30 depending on flight time of departure

Don't book a transfer if you're using Marco Polo airport, it's very easy to do your self, if you want further info just ask and I'll post some good info for you

I am assuming Magnifica will be allowed to use the normal docks and not the commercial docks as she is less than 96,000 tonnes

Pete

Edited by Skier52

I would do exactly as skier says. You are then also able to watch the ship leave again which is great. Whether or not you go for a later flight, self disembark with your own luggage. In April it was a nightmare for people who didn't and several folks were expecting to miss their flight.

We have disembarked from Venedig. We were with our own luggage and even though we did not have to wait for our numbers to be called, the earliest we made it at Piazzale Roma was 10.30 (from Piazzale Roma you can take a bus to the airport for 6 Euro pp one way).

There were long queues to buy tickets for the people's mover (small train which takes you from the ship terminal to Piazzale Roma) and also long queues for elevators and to board the people's mover.

There are two bus companies from Piazzale Roma to the Marco Polo Airport. Shortest driving time is about 25 minutes.

At the airport there are again long queues to check in. While we were there, we have met passengers from New York, who lost their flights. They said, the reason was not that they were late, but not early enough, because the airline had overbooked the plane.

In our experience, there are too many factors to take into account. We would not book a flight before 13.00.

Edited by travelberlin

Thank you so much for all the useful information.

We shall be there at the end of April.

We visited Venice on Emerald Princess in June so assume that we docked at the Commercial Port? We saw a couple of smaller ships on the way in. Is that where Magnifica will dock?

I would love the additional information that you are offering Skier52 (Pete).

I have read that Venice will be re-routing ships of a certain size next year. As Magnifica is smaller, will she still sail past St Marks Square?

Gail

Hi. We sailed on the Preziosa in April of this year and loved our cruise but we didn't have a comfortable time contingency for returning home. We booked our own flights to Venice and flew in the day before the cruise to allow us some time to check out the beautiful city. We didn't book transfers, we just jumped on the local airport shuttle bus which was cheap and took us directly into the Piazzale Roma.

Coming home was a different ball game entirely and one to take note. Our flight going home was scheduled for 11.45am. Now all our cruise paperwork stated that our arrival into Venice was scheduled for 8am but we didn't actually dock until 9am and they wouldn't let anyone off the ship til after 9.30am. We literally had to run off the ship which was in absolute chaos and jump a private taxi to the airport which cost us 50 euros. We got there at 10.15am, had to stand in line to check in, then spent another 30mins going through the slowest security ever and we were the last on the plane - lucky we even made it. Talk about stressful!!!

Soooo if you can, take a later flight, give yourself some wriggle room and don't end your relaxing cruise stressed out.

According to our taxi driver, from November no cruise ships will be permitted to dock in Venice and won't be allowed to sail along the Grand Canal.

Po

Edited by Po10472

Thank you so much for all the useful information.

We shall be there at the end of April.

We visited Venice on Emerald Princess in June so assume that we docked at the Commercial Port? We saw a couple of smaller ships on the way in. Is that where Magnifica will dock?

I would love the additional information that you are offering Skier52 (Pete).

I have read that Venice will be re-routing ships of a certain size next year. As Magnifica is smaller, will she still sail past St Marks Square?

Gail

Here is an excellent web site for ALL information about Venice

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

I've selected the relevant pages in the narrative below, but I think it wel worth a couple of hours seeing what info the site has to offer

The Emerald Pincess is above the suggested 96,000 tonne limit for using the cruise port MSC Magnifica is below that tonnage so I believe she should be using the usual MSC berthing area

So my suggestion would be to;

1) walk/catch the shuttle bus; to the people mover(PM).

(There may be a queue at the PM if you are not some of the first passengers off, so do a self disembark. This does mean that you have to move your own cases off the ship.)

2) use the ATVO (Not the ATVC) bus to get to the airport. Whether you use the left luggage office ( i think it's €5 per case for up to 24 hrs) will depend on your flight time.

if you are seeing Venice then the waterbus station is a short walk away, or alternatively you can walk

INfo about water buses can be found here

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/local-transportation-index.htm

The port area with the route to People Mover marked in blue. There is also a free shuttle bus from the berth to the People mover.

venice.jpg

THe bus station area showing the TWO left luggage offices marked with yellow push pins. The airport bus of choice is the ATVO as this has luggage compartments underneath. Tickets are purchased from the ATVO a few doors down from the left luggage office.

When you get on the bus yoiu must activate the ticket in the little machine by the driver.

LInk to info about the ATVO buses

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

venicebus.jpg

I hope this is of value to you

Pete

one last bit of info from the venice website given above

Now for an important warning:

• If you're catching a plane on your day of arrival, allow plenty of time to get off the ship, pick up your luggage, and get to the airport. (We'd suggest at least four hours, and preferably five.)

07_alilaguna_airport_water_taxi_7_minutes_sign_on_post_125_pb121915.jpgEven if your ship arrives by 7 a.m., you may not be able to disembark until 9 or 9:30, and you should allow a minimum of two and a half hours to check in for your flight, go through security, and reach the gate at Venice's frequently-chaotic Marco Polo Airport. (If you're departing from Treviso Airport, allow even more time, because Treviso is a reasonable distance from Venice.)

Our advice: If you're worried about missing your flight, purchase a bus transfer from your cruise line. It won't be cheap, but you'll be able to go directly from your ship's pier to the airport, and the cruise line will be responsible for making sure that you reach the airport on time.

This is part of an an article from the TELEGRAPH newspaper (NB the links will not work)

By Josephine McKenna

2:37PM BST 09 Aug 2014

Large cruise liners dubbed the “skyscrapers of the sea” will be banned from Venice’s historic centre from 2015 after the Italian government stepped in at a national level to resolve the bitterly divisive issue that provoked an international campaign.

But a government plan to create an alternative route for the massive ships has already provoked an outcry from environmentalists and residents concerned about its impact on the lagoon city’s fragile environment.

Cruise ships currently pass within 1,000 feet of Venice’s iconic St. Mark’s Square, giving passengers spectacular views of some of the city’s beloved Byzantine architecture.

Last year the port of Venice proposed banning liners of more than 96,000 tonnes but the decree was overturned by a regional tribunal. Recently British stars Sir Michael Caine and Julie Christie joined dozens of celebrities who signed a petition calling for giant cruise ships to be banned.

Now the national government has restored the ban which will block all cruise ships exceeding 96,000 tonnes from Saint Mark’s basin and the Giudecca Canal from 2015 and also severely restrict visits by smaller ships of no more than 40,000 tonnes.

Related Articles

Several ministers including transport minister Maurizio Lupi approved the new guidelines at a meeting with port officials and regional political leaders in Rome on Friday.

“It seems to me to be a balanced solution which takes account of our duty to remove the skyscrapers of the sea from the canals of Venice, while safeguarding a world heritage city that is the envy of the world and protecting the city’s economy which is so linked to cruise tourism,” said Lupi.

The government also proposed the excavation of the Contorta-Sant’Angelo canal as an alternative route in Venice and ordered an environmental report on its potential impact to be completed within 90 days.

I never book a flight out of Venice before 13.00. It is just far too stressful trying to make earlier flights. It is such a busy choric port and you just can't get off in a hurry and even of you do,, there are usually several ships disembarking so you are competing with thousands of passengers for transport.

You need to allow plenty time at the airport too. Tool me 30 minutes to drop off my bag last October. Then almost an hour to get through security. There were really long queues for that. It was a bit better in April but I got to the airport quite early that time. (early for the 13.30 flight)

MSC may have changed their policy but they used to only do transfers for those that had fly/cruise packages with them.

Edited by AmoMondo

Here is an excellent web site for ALL information about Venice

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/vi-index.htm

I've selected the relevant pages in the narrative below, but I think it wel worth a couple of hours seeing what info the site has to offer

The Emerald Pincess is above the suggested 96,000 tonne limit for using the cruise port MSC Magnifica is below that tonnage so I believe she should be using the usual MSC berthing area

So my suggestion would be to;

1) walk/catch the shuttle bus; to the people mover(PM).

(There may be a queue at the PM if you are not some of the first passengers off, so do a self disembark. This does mean that you have to move your own cases off the ship.)

2) use the ATVO (Not the ATVC) bus to get to the airport. Whether you use the left luggage office ( i think it's €5 per case for up to 24 hrs) will depend on your flight time.

if you are seeing Venice then the waterbus station is a short walk away, or alternatively you can walk

INfo about water buses can be found here

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/local-transportation-index.htm

The port area with the route to People Mover marked in blue. There is also a free shuttle bus from the berth to the People mover.

venice.jpg

THe bus station area showing the TWO left luggage offices marked with yellow push pins. The airport bus of choice is the ATVO as this has luggage compartments underneath. Tickets are purchased from the ATVO a few doors down from the left luggage office.

When you get on the bus yoiu must activate the ticket in the little machine by the driver.

LInk to info about the ATVO buses

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_airport_buses_atvo.htm

venicebus.jpg

I hope this is of value to you

Pete

one last bit of info from the venice website given above

Great info from everyone thanks. I am still struggling with a booking time for our train to Florence from Venice as I've seen some threads that they sell out, otherwise Id just wait. I'm currently thinking I'll try for the 11.30 am after a scheduled docking at 8am on Fantasia but now I"m not so sure.

Skier - would you mind pointing out or telling me where the drop off/pickup points for land taxis and water taxis at the port are?

Edited by suuluu

Great info from everyone thanks. I am still struggling with a booking time for our train to Florence from Venice as I've seen some threads that they sell out, otherwise Id just wait. I'm currently thinking I'll try for the 11.30 am after a scheduled docking at 8am on Fantasia but now I"m not so sure.

Skier - would you mind pointing out or telling me where the drop off/pickup points for land taxis and water taxis at the port are?

Here you go

venicetaxidropoff.jpg

Pete

Thanks Pete, very helpful

The other end of the Taxi route at Marco Polo airport

The land taxis are available at the airport terminal as are the airport buses

Taxi times 20 - 30 mins (airport to ship)

Airport bus 20 - 45 mins (airport to bus station)

There is a walking route from the termnal to the water taxi and water bus stations of approximaely 400 yards. At least part of it is covered walk way and you'l need to carry / roll your cases on this route.

Water taxis take 30 - 45 minutes (you can ask them to show you the sights : for an extra fee)

Water buses take 2 - 2.5 hours and do visit some of the sights on the way

Here is the image of the airport end

venicetaxisairprt.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information. We have decided to book at 6.45 pm which will give us a stress free day and plenty of time to make our way to the airport. Is there a time we have to disembark by?

The other factor influencing our decision was the cost of the lunchtime return flight. It was exorbitant. We have also managed to upgrade to Business Class for peanuts!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this information. We have decided to book at 6.45 pm which will give us a stress free day and plenty of time to make our way to the airport. Is there a time we have to disembark by?

The other factor influencing our decision was the cost of the lunchtime return flight. It was exorbitant. We have also managed to upgrade to Business Class for peanuts!!

I believe they try to get everybody ashore by 10:30 at the very latest.

however if you wait till then you may find a significant queue at the People mover and also at the left luggage by the ATVO office ( i've read reports of this queue being 1 - 1.5 hours. just remember there are two). so in order to avoid disappointment and frustration I would contenance getting off as early as you can to make the most of the available time.(self disembark)

You may need to bear in mind there may a queue at the left luggage pffice on your return to pick up your cases, which may influence the time you want to start making tracks for the journey to the airport. If all goes well you could have 5 or 6 hours in Venice walking around say 9:30 to 15:30 (I wouldn't leave it any later than that to get your bus to the airport

I hope you have a great time in Venice and everything runs smoothly and hassle free with the minimum of queueing

Pete

Another option with the flight you Re going for is a MSC disembarkation tour. They keep your luggage all day and then take you to the airport at the end. They usually offer them for flights after 5pm. I did the Venice on your own one once. They took us by boat over to St Mark's and left us there for around 3 hours to explore on our own then transferred us back to our coach by boat and then off to the airport.

It is another option to consider, although using a left luggage facility and DIY in Venice will no doubt be cheaper.