Jewel of the Seas in Martinique

We will be on the Jewel of the Seas in January and are visiting Martinique. For those who have been on the Jewel recently, did you dock at Pointe Simon Terminal (located in downtown Fort-de-France) or at La Tourelles, which is a mile from downtown?

Thank you for your help.

We will be on the Jewel of the Seas in January and are visiting Martinique. For those who have been on the Jewel recently, did you dock at Pointe Simon Terminal (located in downtown Fort-de-France) or at La Tourelles, which is a mile from downtown?

Thank you for your help.

Downtown this past March. Interesting - wouldn't mind going back for more exploration.

14870542978_ca7ab4a4ef_c.jpg

Hi, we were on Jewel in April, we docked right in the town so it was nice to go ashore, come back to the ship and then go back ashore again, it was a nice stop. When you go remember to take Euro's as that is the main currency the take.

Thanks, Loveslife, for the picture and the info. Martinique is one of the few Caribbean islands that we have not yet visited and we are looking forward to stopping there in Jan. I am evening trying to restudy my high school French for the visit. :)

I think you'll find that even a few words will work wonders in smiles, a "Bonjour" upon entering a store etc, at least that's been my experience in French speaking places. You'll also easily find good bakery goods and coffee:D

I think you'll find that even a few words will work wonders in smiles, a "Bonjour" upon entering a store etc, at least that's been my experience in French speaking places. You'll also easily find good bakery goods and coffee:D

That was our experience on Guadaloupe as well. A little effort seemed to melt the ice.

Thanks for the tips about speaking French. As I mentioned I am reviewing my high school French from over 50 yrs ago :) We went to French Polynesia last winter and I brushed up on the French for there also. I did use it some, but we were surprised at how many people spoke English. I gather that is not the case on Martinique and Guadalope.

We stopped in Martinique in Jan when we were on the Jewel. We liked this port the least. We walked around the town for an hour or so and that was enough. We only found 1 store that would take US money even the museum wanted us to go to the bank to exchange money. We were surprised by this since it was a port city. We were part of a group of 80 people and the majority of the people did not like the stop. In hindsight we wished that we had signed up for an excursion. Just our thoughts

We stopped in Martinique in Jan when we were on the Jewel. We liked this port the least. We walked around the town for an hour or so and that was enough. We only found 1 store that would take US money even the museum wanted us to go to the bank to exchange money. We were surprised by this since it was a port city. We were part of a group of 80 people and the majority of the people did not like the stop. In hindsight we wished that we had signed up for an excursion. Just our thoughts

We have heard both positive and negative comments on Martinique

and are choosing to go with an open mind and enjoy our visit there.