Carnival Breeze 11203 "accessible" room

Winterstale

I just booked a spa oceanview cabin - #11203 - on the Carnival Breeze for a sailing next fall.

It is an accessible room - we booked it because it is an oversized OV room and we really like the layout.

If Carnival ends up needing the room for a wheelchair-bound passenger who also wants a spa cabin, will we be moved? Anyone ever experience this?

Just curious.

Thanks for any and all answers :D

I certainly hope that Carnival sends you, and requires it to be on file, the form on WHY the accessible room is needed. If you do NOT need it, then you may well be preventing someone that NEEDS an accessible room from being able to cruise on that date and ship. Harsh? Maybe. Just know that so many say "yes you will be moved if needed" yet I know personally that does NOT always happen. I am booked in a 4J on another cruise that is accessible and YES, the form was filled out and is in our file. Would I love to not have to book this type room? You bet as there would be so many more options for cabin types for me. Just wanting an accessible cabin due to the "extra space" is very selfish, IMHO.

Problem is, Carnival allows you to book this room freely. By calling, through your PVP, or using the website. They do have a warning for booking it if you are doing so online that you could be moved, but they will allow you to book it. That's not the case with every accessible room but this one freely allows you to book it. I have heard of people being moved before. I can understand your position swampbaby. I just think the OP made a mistake posting this, because your reply wasn't harsh IMO. You made a valid point. I've seen other threads like this go South real quick.

I certainly hope that Carnival sends you, and requires it to be on file, the form on WHY the accessible room is needed. If you do NOT need it, then you may well be preventing someone that NEEDS an accessible room from being able to cruise on that date and ship. Harsh? Maybe. Just know that so many say "yes you will be moved if needed" yet I know personally that does NOT always happen. I am booked in a 4J on another cruise that is accessible and YES, the form was filled out and is in our file. Would I love to not have to book this type room? You bet as there would be so many more options for cabin types for me. Just wanting an accessible cabin due to the "extra space" is very selfish, IMHO.

Totally agree with your opinion here -- I should have clarified -- we did not PURPOSELY book the accessible room -- I found out it was handicapped accessible AFTER we booked it - hence the question as to whether or not we would be moved. I will not mind one little bit if we are moved to accommodate someone who needs this room - and I'm certain Carnival will notify us if that happens.

I work for Disney - my husband and I sailed the Wonder with my employee discount. The discount is great, to be sure - but as an employee using this discount, you cannot pick either your cabin or type of cabin - you get what is available - sometimes you don't even know until you check in what type of cabin you'll be sailing -- we ended up in an oceanview "accessible" room since apparently no one needed it on that sailing.

So...before you rush to judgement, please give someone the benefit of the doubt before calling them "selfish" - I had no idea as the deck layout does not specify.

Also - just to clarify a bit more - I DID actually book this room over the phone. I had to cancel/rebook our Splendor cruise that was scheduled for January due to a work trip that will interfere. The PVP was clearly very new -- he had to put me on hold several times to question his supervisor on different things - we were able to re-book at the $50/pp penalty for our ES reservation - I was just looking at the deck layout on line when I chose the room - we wanted an oceanview spa cabin and there are not that many.

I really hope this thread does not "go South" since we honestly did NOT realize we were choosing the accessible room and the PVP did not tell us this either -- I only realized it while searching for pictures or videos of the cabin on line and saw a video tour of a similar room on the Dream -- the videographer mentions that it is a handicapped accessible room in the video...so I then realized ours probably was too....

Again, as previously stated, if we are moved, I will move happily as long as we are still in a spa cabin. I'd prefer oceanview but if they are all that same accessible layout, if we get bumped down to interior, so be it.

Actually I totally blame CARNIVAL PVP for booking the room as it plainly shows on the Breeze deck plans as a handicap room for 3. The shame goes on them but I really don't feel you will be moved unless someone pushes the issue. That would NOT be me doing the pushing. Worse yet, it appears all four of the ocean view spa cabins are either 3 or 4 person handicap. Didn't find any others so maybe that is all that class ship has. SHAME on Carnival for not planning better all the way around.

Edited by Swampbaby

Do you think they would charge me a fee if I called and said "hey, are you aware I am in a handicapped-accessible room and the PVP did NOT specify this last night when I called - I will be happy to move to another room as long as I am not charged!"

I seriously would move - I will feel badly if I'm taking a room from someone who needs it.

I honestly did NOT notice this when I was looking at the rooms - I just noticed it looked bigger. :confused:

I booked 2 cabins on the Breeze back in February for this coming September, through a PVP. I booked an 8E cabin (BAL) on the LIDO (for me & DH) and a 4H (INT)cabin on LIDO (for DD & her BF). It was not until after I had cabins booked that I saw online they had her cabin was handicapped accessible. I would have understood if they needed to move her, however I was not warned of that when I originally booked.

That being said, with major price drops since then, we've changed her cabin twice and now she is now in an 8E on LIDO beside me with a $ 240 OBC. :)

I booked 2 cabins on the Breeze back in February for this coming September, through a PVP. I booked an 8E cabin (BAL) on the LIDO (for me & DH) and a 4H (INT)cabin on LIDO (for DD & her BF). It was not until after I had cabins booked that I saw online they had her cabin was handicapped accessible. I would have understood if they needed to move her, however I was not warned of that when I originally booked.

That being said, with major price drops since then, we've changed her cabin twice and now she is now in an 8E on LIDO beside me with a $ 240 OBC. :)

23 more days.... WOOHOO!!!!! :D

YEPPERS !! Can't wait - Counting the days :D:D

We're bleeding over to the regular forums lol.

As far as the room. If someone calls and they have a need for that room, you'll be moved. Don't feel bad, because there may not be anyone who needs the room. I would however not unpack the first night, some people are moved that day as someone realizes that they need the room, but booked a regular one.

They will always allow it to be freely booked so people who need it can see it available, and also because if they don't, and no one needs it, it goes unsold. Even though you didn't mean to book it, plenty of people do, knowing the risks of being moved, and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with it as long as they know, and don't throw a fit at being moved.

As far as the room. If someone calls and they have a need for that room, you'll be moved. Don't feel bad, because there may not be anyone who needs the room. I would however not unpack the first night, some people are moved that day as someone realizes that they need the room, but booked a regular one.

They will always allow it to be freely booked so people who need it can see it available, and also because if they don't, and no one needs it, it goes unsold. Even though you didn't mean to book it, plenty of people do, knowing the risks of being moved, and to be honest, there's nothing wrong with it as long as they know, and don't throw a fit at being moved.

Steve - thanks! that is GREAT advice about not unpacking!

Actually I totally blame CARNIVAL PVP for booking the room as it plainly shows on the Breeze deck plans as a handicap room for 3. The shame goes on them but I really don't feel you will be moved unless someone pushes the issue. That would NOT be me doing the pushing. Worse yet, it appears all four of the ocean view spa cabins are either 3 or 4 person handicap. Didn't find any others so maybe that is all that class ship has. SHAME on Carnival for not planning better all the way around.

Swampbaby - I got curious so I did a little online research and discovered that the Breeze has over 30 accessible cabins - two of them are spa interiors - so that's a bit better news! I think they still should have informed me when I booked the room but at least we know these are not the only 4 rooms on the ship!

23 plus 9 hours!! YAYYYYY!!! :D

Do you think they would charge me a fee if I called and said "hey, are you aware I am in a handicapped-accessible room and the PVP did NOT specify this last night when I called - I will be happy to move to another room as long as I am not charged!"

I seriously would move - I will feel badly if I'm taking a room from someone who needs it.

I honestly did NOT notice this when I was looking at the rooms - I just noticed it looked bigger. :confused:

It sounds like you are booked ES ( since you said you had to pay $50 to change the booking???). If you are, then you can upgrade but not downgrade. If you are not ES, then you can make any changes without penalty up until final payment.

My understanding is if they move ( on the ship ) you because someone else needs it, they will not downgrade you to an interior but maybe to another OV but still give you spa privileges since you paid for spa. Maybe you will even get a balcony. If they notify you prior to your cruise that you need to move, you will probably have choices.

My advise to you is to keep the cabin until you are notified that it is needed.

I think it is a little harsh for people to always jump in on threads saying that people are selfish for booking a handicap accessible cabin when they don't need

It. As we saw in this case, the OP did not know.

Having said that, yes there are people who purposely book those cabins to have a larger room but one cannot always assume that is the case.

We once got upgraded to a handicap accessible cabin on Princess on the day of the sailing. The one next to us was empty for the sailing. Obviously no one needed these cabins on this sailing. We did not book it, ask for it or knew it was this type of cabin until we first entered it. We even asked the cabin steward if we were in the right cabin. She checked her list and we were.

During the cruise, people may have seen us going in and out of our cabin and thought we purposely booked it when we did not need it. No one said anything to us or gave us looks but who knows what they were thinking....lol.

Swampbaby - I got curious so I did a little online research and discovered that the Breeze has over 30 accessible cabins - two of them are spa interiors - so that's a bit better news! I think they still should have informed me when I booked the room but at least we know these are not the only 4 rooms on the ship!

Agree, they are not the only 4 rooms but they are the only 4 OV Spa cabins so anyone wanting a OV Spa one really has no choice but those 4. That is where I feel Carnival messed up as either all regular or all accessible is not really fair to either group of people.

Enjoy the cabin if you get to keep it and like someone said, you won't be downgraded - at least downgraded in the eyes of Carnival - so a balcony may be in your future. Personally I am not one wanting a balcony but if you are moved to one, I hope you truly enjoy it.

Thanks, Swampbaby - and now I get what you were saying about the OV Spas -- I think it's because the spa decks are all the way forward and are the top two decks so they end up being all balconies or interiors other than the cabins towards the very front of the ship -- which are these four. Odd, but it's the layout, I think.

Thanks for the input everybody - we'll hang in there with this cabin and see what happens since we DID book ES :D

Hi Winterstale :)

After reading your post & your replies to your post I understand 100% where

you are coming from and appreciate your concern & willingness to relocate.

I do believe this falls directly on Carnival, not you. Other cruise lines

do this as well and I really wish they would discontinue doing so.

My wife & I have been cruising for 31 years now & have only had to deal with

this issue once. However, I am the one that had to do the bumping. I have

Multiple Sclerosis and require a handicap cabin. I'm on a handicap cabin

medical requirement file with Carnival, Princess, Royal & Celebrity.

I can only describe how things went on my end, during my one & only encounter.

Because cruise ships have so few handicap cabins aboard, we book our

voyages far in advance.

However when booking our last Princess voyage, the handicap cabin I picked

out was taken.

The agent asked me if I had another cabin choice, and I said, "No I do not,

do the passengers in that cabin have a medical need for the cabin & do you

see a medical form listed"..

The agent said no medical claim is listed on their account. I was put on hold

for a few minutes, when the agent returned, the previous passengers were

bumped & we were booked.

In regards to me personally, its all about the bathroom. The shower bench,

grab bars and toilet bench. Many people such as myself cannot shower unassisted

and require a handicap cabin for the bathroom itself.

I can get out of my wheelchair & stand on forearm crutches so cabin door

width is a non issue with me. Slightly larger cabin space is also

a non issue concerning myself, except of course if I am wheelchair bound

at the time. My chair folds so my wife can get it in & out of a cabin.

A handicap shower & bathroom is vital. I am certain it is vital for many

that are disabled. For that reason alone, I wish cruise lines would not allow

these cabins to be reserved without a medical need.

No need for me to elaborate further, I am certain you get the idea, I

rarely discuss my disability here on Cruise Critic.

You received some sound advice so far. Especially concerning the aspect

of being bumped the day you embark. That actually occurs quite often.

There are so many scenarios that can arise. From a person getting hurt

just prior to their voyage & needing a handicap cabin, to passengers doing

a late booking that require a handicap cabin, & so on...

Yes of course these cabins sometimes sail unoccupied. However the bigger

picture is the scarce amount of these cabins per cruise ship mixed with

the amount of passengers per ship and sailings per week. The cycle never

ends until the ship is in dry-dock, so in the end it comes down to luck

of the draw if you will be bumped or not.

The stories you hear on Cruise Critic are very helpful, however it does

not compare to the thousands of passengers that sail on ships per week.

If a member states that they always book a handicap cabin and never

got bumped, does not mean it does not occur often.

I am looking forward to the Breeze as well. The Breeze has 35 handicap

cabins aboard. But to me, a disabled passenger, my view is, there are

only 35 cabins for me to choose from out of 1,845 cabins. Very difficult

when you want a specific section of the ship. Reason we book far in advance.

But yes, as the others have stated, you will be relocated if a passenger

with a medical necessity requires that cabin.

Oh my, so sorry I rambled & babbled on...

Have a terrific voyage!

:)

Edited by PortSideCruzan