Cruise "cancelled" even though deposit paid

TasKaz

Thanks Yggdrasil98 - yes all in good time, it's all a process. As long as we do get our money back all is good :) I do remember the APT insurance was mentioned by my TA but it was marketed as being for if we changed our mind not APT as I recall. Fantastic that you could change your trip to something that suited you better :)

Thanks for your good wishes - the Baltic region is new to me so I'm very excited :D

Sense APT changed their mind and cancelled your cruise they should be reimbursing you the cost of your out of pocket expenses.... Like the cost of your travel insurance!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sense APT changed their mind and cancelled your cruise they should be reimbursing you the cost of your out of pocket expenses.... Like the cost of your travel insurance!?!

"Since" not spelling to well today ;)

Just a further update everyone and a very positive one which was not expected :D I posted on social media to APT that I was not happy with our treatment and they got in touch with our TA. They are now fully aware of our circumstances according to our TA and they have gone out of their way to make things right. We sincerely appreciate APT's efforts in resolving this matter and we're looking forward to cruising with them in 2016 :D Thank you all for your support/comments/help. I appreciated everyone's input immensely :)

• 1 month later...
We have had a call from our TA this morning to state that APT has "cancelled" our Amsterdam to Budapest cruise. I use the term "cancelled" loosely as the cruise is actually still sailing. All the TA could tell us was that "the boat has been charted by another company" and he believes that, although it appears that APT could have left us on this cruise, they probably had few cabins booked and it is easier for them to "offload" us to another sailing.

APT has offered us the 19th September 2015 sailing which is a week prior to our original sailing of the 25th September 2015. That sailing now shows up as "no availability" on APT's website along with another in August and also May that I noticed they had originally had trouble filling. APT has "kindly" offered us a "complimentary upgrade" from an "E" to a "D" cabin. Firstly I do not consider this an upgrade as the cabins seem identical and are on the same deck (in fact our "E" cabin was next to a "D" cabin. And APT would not have a choice on this sailing but to give us a "D" cabin as all the "E" cabins are booked! I think APT were banking on the fact that we would be clients who don't do research.

Another factor for us is Amsterdam's International Broadcasting Convention is held mid-September annually. Accommodation prices shoot up and availability becomes scarce. The sailing we have been offered would probably put us right at the tail end of that. We chose the date we did due to wanting an "E" cabin and there were limited sailings left in that category, plus it dovetailed nicely with my son's school holidays and also with my birthday. Plus it also avoided (for the most part) that "busy" time in Amsterdam.

I have not read the T&C's again to check re this sort of situation but I presume it it is covered. Surprising I am not upset but more stunned that you can pay your deposit for a cruise, have your actual cabin assigned, and then be told the boat is still sailing but APT want to move you (and presumably any other passengers booked for that sailing) onto other sailings. It has really shaken our faith in the company and what's to say (although unlikely) that they won't do it again?

We chose not to use Scenic due to their response to last year's floods and APT were the only other company we were looking at as we wanted to take advantage of the included airfare. We will ponder over this for the next day or so but are seriously considering just accepting the "cancellation" concentrating on a Baltics cruise (see my signature) that came up unexpectedly and seemed to good a deal to pass up. I have no idea how long APT would take to refund our money.

I'm sure we are not the only passengers this has ever happened to but can't recall reading anything along these lines on the board. As mentioned earlier, the thing I that has left me gobsmacked (perhaps I'm just naive) is that you can pay a deposit and book a cabin and then be told that the boat is still sailing but you're not on it :(

APT is liable for all expenses as a consequence for offloading you. They should pay for your hotel at one of their hotels and any extra charges to change your airfare. If you need to fly Business Class and your ticket is in Coach APT has to pay for that. You need to stand your ground and ensure that you get what you want not what they want.

In business when the corporation cancels or does not adhere to their end of the bargain then the customer has the upper hand. You have to be kind but firm at the same time.

I've had a travel vendor cancel my reservation without me knowing. So when I arrived at the hotel I was bemused and told them that I had never cancelled. I asked to speak to the manager and told him that I need to stay here and that you have a nice resort. I asked about an upgrade and got one of their nicest suites plus a gift basket with fine wine and other goodies.

Another time the rental car agency gave us a car that was not what we had reserved. Again I stood my ground being nice but firm and they gave us one of their luxury models.

Yet another time I was checking in for my flight and they could not pull up my reservation. I provided them with my ticket# and again I was nice but firm and stood my ground. The next thing I know the manager comes out and profusely apologizes as the agent was new and somehow cancelled my reservation so he promptly reinstated it and upgraded me to First Class on an international ticket. No hard feelings.

So in the end you need to do whats right for you not whats right for the company.

Edited by travelplus

APT is liable for all expenses as a consequence for offloading you. They should pay for your hotel at one of their hotels and any extra charges to change your airfare. If you need to fly Business Class and your ticket is in Coach APT has to pay for that. You need to stand your ground and ensure that you get what you want not what they want.

In business when the corporation cancels or does not adhere to their end of the bargain then the customer has the upper hand. You have to be kind but firm at the same time.

I don't believe the above to be true. In the cruise contract, APT reserves the right to cancel:

If We Change or Cancel Your Holiday Before Your Departure - APT endeavours to provide you with all the services confirmed to you at the time of your booking. However, we plan arrangements a long time in advance of your departure date using independent suppliers such as airline, hotels etc., over whom we have no direct control. On occasions changes do have to be made, and APT reserves the right to cancel or amend holiday packages/excursions accordingly.

All they have to do is refund your deposit.

Just a further update everyone and a very positive one which was not expected :D I posted on social media to APT that I was not happy with our treatment and they got in touch with our TA. They are now fully aware of our circumstances according to our TA and they have gone out of their way to make things right. We sincerely appreciate APT's efforts in resolving this matter and we're looking forward to cruising with them in 2016 :D Thank you all for your support/comments/help. I appreciated everyone's input immensely :)

This is the OP post regarding the outcome of their cancelled cruise and they are satisfied with arrangements made with APT...

Yes nana541 is correct. I complained on social media with no expectation whatsoever of a positive outcome. I just wanted to let people know that this could happen and to be aware.

I was aware of the "fine print" to a degree but thought that, as APT appears to advertise the dates as "guaranteed departures", it would go ahead. I guess nothing in life is guaranteed hey :o Yes, all they had to do was refund our deposit which they did with no problem.

As per my last post, APT has pleasantly surprised us with their response in trying to make amends and we have greatly appreciated what they have offered us. We are hoping to rebook as soon as dates come out for 2016.

In saying all that, I admire that you stood your ground on all those occasions travelplus and did so with aplomb by the sounds of it. It has certainly paid off for you :D

Edited by TasKaz
missed some words