Fort Lauderdale or Miami Airport?

We are looking to book a cruise on Oasis in November. Could anyone please advise which would be the best airport to depart back to Australia from as there are available flights from both Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports.

Fort Lauderdale flight departs at 4pm and Miami at 2pm. Flight from Miami is the cheapest option by $50.

As the price difference is only slight which airport would be the easiest?

If your plane is already at the gate at Fort Lauderdale International, you can see it from the top deck of Oasis. The airport is that close.

Miami is considerably further away.

Thank you very much. As the flight would not be until 4pm is there somewhere near the airport that we could store luggage or alternatively does RCI have an extended time to stay on board program for a fee?

Thanks

Royal offers some excursion options for people with later flights - they get you off the ship, take your luggage and you see something in the Fort Lauderdale area and then they take you to the airport.

There is no place I know of to privately store your luggage. Royal wants you off the ship by 10:30, 10:45 ish.

Another option is to rent a car and do a little touring around yourself and return the car to the airport. Of course your luggage can be in the trunk then.

Miami airport is always a nightmare. I live in Miami and I usually opt to drive the 30 miles north to Fort Lauderdale when I need to fly.

Royal offers some excursion options for people with later flights - they get you off the ship, take your luggage and you see something in the Fort Lauderdale area and then they take you to the airport.

There is no place I know of to privately store your luggage. Royal wants you off the ship by 10:30, 10:45 ish.

Another option is to rent a car and do a little touring around yourself and return the car to the airport. Of course your luggage can be in the trunk then.

Miami airport is always a nightmare. I live in Miami and I usually opt to drive the 30 miles north to Fort Lauderdale when I need to fly.

I am just a little concerned that the Fort Lauderdale connection time in Dallas is a little tight, arrives at 18.50 departure time for the Sydney flight is 18.10.

I have spoken to Qantas who assure me that if we were to miss the connection they would have to either put us on another flight or pay accommodation until the following day. The Miami flight has a longer connection time, 4 hrs.

Are there a number of shuttle services from the cruise port to Miami airport and what would be the approximate cost?

Thank you

Yes, there are a number of shuttle services. I don't know the "best" one, but a search of these boards will get you a few options. A taxi is going to be $70-$80. There are private car services that offer the ride for about the same price.

I have very little experience with Dallas airport, so can't help you there. But an hour and twenty minutes does seem like a reasonable connection time.

All I can say is that if you are flying American to Dallas from Miami, give yourself plenty of time at Miami airport. Security lines are often ridiculous unless you are flying first class or have some other priority access, and the American terminal is extremely long and you often have a very long way to go to get to your gate.

By the way, for the rent a car option I suggested, you can pick up a car at Fort Lauderdale and return it to Miami with no drop off charge from almost all of the major car rental companies.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Yes, there are a number of shuttle services. I don't know the "best" one, but a search of these boards will get you a few options. A taxi is going to be $70-$80. There are private car services that offer the ride for about the same price.

I have very little experience with Dallas airport, so can't help you there. But an hour and twenty minutes does seem like a reasonable connection time.

All I can say is that if you are flying American to Dallas from Miami, give yourself plenty of time at Miami airport. Security lines are often ridiculous unless you are flying first class or have some other priority access, and the American terminal is extremely long and you often have a very long way to go to get to your gate.

By the way, for the rent a car option I suggested, you can pick up a car at Fort

Lauderdale and return it to Miami with no drop off charge from almost all of the major car rental companies.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you very much Matt, you have been a great help. We have decided to take your advice and leave from Fort Lauderdale. We can apparently clear customs there so the connection time should be ok though a total of 24hrs and 15 minutes flight time is not something I look forward to!

On the disembarkation day on Oasis, FLL was jam-packed. I personally feel it is an understaffed airport and has nothing to do. Miami can be crowded but there is more to do there (Better Shops, Restaurants to name a few. FLL didn't even have a Starbucks or a single seat at our gate.

FYI. Used them both this summer on my Oasis cruise

Have a great trip, Oasis is a wonderful ship

I live in Miami and avoid the MIA airport like the plague

FLL is the airport of choice for me, customs is far more human.

I had a really bad experience coming back from Costa Rica last year. Two hours standing with more than a thousand other passengers from different flights. No clear lines no sense of order. I will never land in MIA from an international flight again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We used the valet luggage on Independence when we disembarked last year from Port Everglades to FLL and and it worked great. We then were able to catch a cab and go to the beach for a few hours knowing that our luggage was safe at the airport terminal. We didn't see our bags until we arrived back at our home airport. I don't know if international flight would impact using this option but it would be worth checking into. Also, definately FLL for an airport out over MIA.

I live in Miami and avoid the MIA airport like the plague

FLL is the airport of choice for me, customs is far more human.

I had a really bad experience coming back from Costa Rica last year. Two hours standing with more than a thousand other passengers from different flights. No clear lines no sense of order. I will never land in MIA from an international flight again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll agree as even though MIA & MCO are about the same for me I always use MCO for international flights.

We used the valet luggage on Independence when we disembarked last year from Port Everglades to FLL and and it worked great. We then were able to catch a cab and go to the beach for a few hours knowing that our luggage was safe at the airport terminal. We didn't see our bags until we arrived back at our home airport. I don't know if international flight would impact using this option but it would be worth checking into. Also, definately FLL for an airport out over MIA.

The service cannot be used for international flights or domestic flights that have segments of different airlines.

OP, that $50.00 cheaper flight is going to more than offset by the cost to get to MIA vs. Ft. Lauderdale. MIA is a zoo. Ft. Lauderdale is a very easy airport to use and with your flight time you won't have to rush to get off of the ship on the final morning and you ceertainly don't have to worry about missing your flight.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Why do people like FLL Airport????????

The only good thing about it is that it is near the port.

Otherwise it is understaffed, very busy and has barely any shops/restaurants.

I will avoid it like the plague next time.

MIA was nice but I imagine there is more I haven't saw.

Why do people like FLL Airport????????

The only good thing about it is that it is near the port.

Otherwise it is understaffed, very busy and has barely any shops/restaurants.

I will avoid it like the plague next time.

MIA was nice but I imagine there is more I haven't saw.

You answered your own question. When just returning from the Caribbean on a cruise ship the last thing most people need is more shopping and more food. I'll take the 10 minute cab ride.

Since you are from another country.......be aware that English is spoken at the Fort Lauderdale airport. At Miami, it can be miss or hit.

Take a tour. Get on the Water Taxi and see some sights. Lauderdale can be a fun place. I've been banned from most of the bars on the Intercoastal Waterway in the 70's.

Might try a tour to the Sawgrass Mall.

Edited by redwasp59
Spelling, but that's not new!

I am just a little concerned that the Fort Lauderdale connection time in Dallas is a little tight, arrives at 18.50 departure time for the Sydney flight is 18.10.

I have spoken to Qantas who assure me that if we were to miss the connection they would have to either put us on another flight or pay accommodation until the following day. The Miami flight has a longer connection time, 4 hrs.

Are there a number of shuttle services from the cruise port to Miami airport and what would be the approximate cost?

Thank you

I am hoping there is a typo in your times, otherwise you are arriving at DFW 40 minutes after your flight for Sydney leaves!

DFW has five terminals connected by a Skylink train service. Most international flights leave from Terminal D. American uses A,C and part of B and part of D; the other airlines share what's left! If you land and leave from the same terminal, no problem! If you have to change terminals, it may be tight.

We are looking to book a cruise on Oasis in November. Could anyone please advise which would be the best airport to depart back to Australia from as there are available flights from both Miami and Fort Lauderdale airports.

Fort Lauderdale flight departs at 4pm and Miami at 2pm. Flight from Miami is the cheapest option by $50.

As the price difference is only slight which airport would be the easiest?

No matter which airport that you use, I hope that you have a truly wonderful cruise because you have come so far for it. November is my favorite cruising month because the weather is great in the Caribbean.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by jcg4550