should I try the Breakaway?

14cruisegirl

I have been on 15 cruises and have not been on NCL in a long time. I am really debating about booking the breakaway after reading many reviews. Wondering if anyone thinks I should do this over the Rccl Quantum? Any help would be appreciated.

That's a pretty vague question to answer. Who all is going? Ages? What is important to you? Do itineraries matter? When are you looking at going? etc, etc.

In other words if you give more info you'll get better answers that will help you make a decision. :)

Edited by Cole Thornton

Thanks. I'm going with my 13 and 14 year old boys and my husband. We would be going in december. The Breakaway is more affordable but I'm nervous about all the reviews about the food and crowding and lack of pools. I have nothing to compare with because the Quantum sails in November and we would be going with friends so we would need to book sooner rather than later.

I have been on 15 cruises and have not been on NCL in a long time. I am really debating about booking the breakaway after reading many reviews. Wondering if anyone thinks I should do this over the Rccl Quantum? Any help would be appreciated.

.....yes, I think you should book the Breakaway.

Hope this helps.

wasiii

No

Yes

Maybe

only YOU can make the decision. None of us know you and what your wants, needs, likes, dislikes are. Take all "bad" reviews with a grain of salt as many posters just seem to have axes to grind when they post negative reviews. and the "issues" they have are either of their own doing or something totally subjective. (i.e. the quality of the food or shows). As well as be wary of the overly positive reviews as there are many "fan boys" on here who think NCL (and other cruise lines depending on which section you are reading) can do no wrong.

I am in a similar position as you. Having been away from NCL for over 20 years and having equal concerns about the food, I have lowered my food expectations considerably for my upcoming Sept 20th cruise aboard the Getaway.

I am very much looking forward to trying NCL again. My approach to this cruise:

(1) Relax, have fun, and observe.

(2) With the lowered food expectations, I am sure I will find "something to eat". As a point of reference, I do not do specialty dining as I want to see what each cruise ship/line offers in their base price (also makes comparisons easier).

(3) If I don't like it, I chalk it up to a current experience and I won't go on NCL again for another 20 years and take my business somewhere else next time.

Did I mention I am excited about my upcoming cruise.....

We had the opportunty to sail the breakaway for 12 nights this past January. We've traveled many lines over the years and had a wonderful time on the Breakaway, so much, that we purchased a next cruise certificate.

Having that said, if there was a choice between Breakaway and Quantum I wouldn't think twice and choose Quantum in a second. All I can say is you will feel nickle and dimed on Breakaway, but that's NCL's knock.

Here's a link to the quick review i shared from my trip (last week) on Breakaway: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1883591&page=26

We had a blast and the kids that traveled w/us were 14, 13, 11, 8 - though no one did a single day at camp (much to my chagrin). If you have questions, please post back and I'll answer them.

Would I do the BW again? Probably not bc I like to try different ships and NCL really does not have an upcoming itinerary that appeals to me, and we had booked the RCL Liberty out of Bayonne for next summer prior to sailing her.

I was on the Breakaway to Bermuda, August 2013. A beautiful ship and wonderful crew. The food in both the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants is comparable to most 5 star ships. Yes, the main problem is the number of passengers.... 4,500 plus. Lines everywhere. The main caveat is don't book over a holiday or when school is out.

The "boardwalk concept" is great. On the promenade deck the restaurants, bars and some club venues are both inside and out. The comedy club and blues/jazz bar are special and fill up fast. You really need reservations for EVERYTHING!!!!!! Whether dinner or a show or you may not get in. The main theater is beautiful and not ca bad seat in the house. Btw the Cirque Dinner show was terrific and worth the basic price. Dinner was quite good.... Surf & turf Very intimate as we'll as entertaining. If you have kids they will love it .

The water park and slides at the top deck were great for all ages and somewhat of a spectacle to watch.

Don't miss Moderno, the Brazilian churrascaria steak and chops restaurant. They have a spectacular salad bar..... Great selection of cheese, seafood, salad fixings And The meats are top notch. The servers continually bring selections of grilled steak, lamb, pork, etc Until you tell them to stop. Also wonderful desserts. It was really one of the best dinners I've had at sea or on land.

We had a standard balcony and the size was quite adequate for the time you spend in it.

Personally I don't plan on sailing on another mega ship when school is out. I will be sailing on the Royal Princess in October to New England and on the NCL Gem for Thanksgiving to the Carribean.

Except for the crowds it was a delightful cruise. Have fun and enjoy every minute.

After the very poor "complimentary" food on Breakaway last year I have decided not to sail NCL again without allowing the extra money for specialty restaurants each night. If the price for Breakaway including the Unlimited Dinning Plan is still less than Quantum, only then would I consider the NCL ship.

According to the Cruise Critic member reviews, the Breakaway is currently at only 61%. The RCL ships range fron 70% up to 89%.