Oceania refugee needs advice on Grand/Royal suites on Spirit.

LaCroisiereS'amuse

Good evening all!

I've strayed from Silversea in recent years, having cruised mostly with Oceania in higher suites, mostly Vistas on Marina, enjoying the smart casual dress code & the high spend per head on food in particular. Following today's announcement that NCL is to buy Prestige Cruise Holdings, owners of Oceania & Regent, I can't help thinking that these 2 lines will suffer in terms of product.

My partner & I are seriously considering moving back to SS next spring as we have found a like for like voyage, with more convenient dates on Silver Spirit. We have been booking Vista Suites on Oceania which are the equivalent to a Grand on SS. Has anyone here sailed in both? And if so, can you give a comparison? Just spending the last hour or so surfing the net I've been able to find few pictures other than the SS corporate shots.

It's been 8 years since our last SS cruise, and I only have the Cloud as a point of reference, so I would be grateful if anyone who has sailed both lines could compare, particularly where the cuisine is concerned.

Thanks in advance :)

Miss Lynn and I have done several cruises in Grand 1 BDR suites aboard Silver Spirit. We've actually stayed in all 4 of them. We like 801 the best, because it and 802 have a bit larger balconies than 901 and 902. We haven't cruised Oceania, nor would we, since I am a smoker. That's why we left Regent after 250 days on all of their ships when Apollo took over. Needn't worry about the location of the suites for open ocean cruising, because Silver Spirit is very stable in rough seas. The balcony is great for arriving and departing port and the suites provide a wonderful place for parties. We've hosted several for as many as 50 people plus ship's officers and the ship does a wonderful job of it. I'll see if I can dig up some pics to post. The private bedroom and the bath are extra nice. We actually like the Grand suites better than the Owners Suite. GO FOR IT! You won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the reply!

My partner and I have no issues with the ships movement, and I would wager that you feel it just as much, if not more in the higher, more forward Silvers. Any pictures would be much appreciated! You mentioned cocktail parties being easily organised - is there any issue with having guests for dinner?

As a 'reformed' smoker myself I understand you avoiding the PCH lines.....I feel sorry for the smokers that do brave Oceania as some guests are really quite hostile towards them, despite the smokers sticking to their two areas.

Don't know if I'll be able to post pics, but there are some of the suite during one of our cocktail parties on the 2010 maiden crossing thread for Silver Spirit; also on the 2011 and 2013 crossings east to west; all Fall crossings. The table in the suite living room is set for 4, but it can be expanded and there is plenty of room. For cocktail parties and/or a dinner party I have just gone thru the HD; usually Paolo Percevale. Very easy guy to work with. Just give the ship a day or two and they'll do a great job. Your butler will do much of the work, but we've often had 3-4 butlers and a bartender at the larger parties. There is no charge for any of this, by the way.

Edited by dougburns

Don't know if I'll be able to post pics, but there are some of the suite during one of our cocktail parties on the 2010 maiden crossing thread for Silver Spirit; also on the 2011 and 2013 crossings east to west; all Fall crossings. The table in the suite living room is set for 4, but it can be expanded and there is plenty of room. For cocktail parties and/or a dinner party I have just gone thru the HD; usually Paolo Percevale. Very easy guy to work with. Just give the ship a day or two and they'll do a great job. Your butler will do much of the work, but we've often had 3-4 butlers and a bartender at the larger parties. There is no charge for any of this, by the way.

Thank you, once again, for your insight. The veranda certainly looks comparable to what we have had on Marina, and the layout looks like a good use of space.

Thank you' date=' once again, for your insight. The veranda certainly looks comparable to what we have had on Marina, and the layout looks like a good use of space.[/quote']

This might be an answer to a question you haven't asked with respect to your choice of suite between Royal and Grand suites on SS. But I'll try to help just the same.

If you are pretty "private" and want more of "your own private yacht" experience then I cannot emphasise how wonderful the Grand Suites are. They are at the end of the corridor (so no other passneger passes) and once you lock yourself in you feel much more in your own private haven than any other suite. I only have experience of 801 on both Whisper and Shadow (but not Spirit) - they even have an entrance hall and additional toilet to the lounge/bar/dining areas to preserve privacy to your private sleeping area - and it is perfectly possible to be really self-contained. We even once added 802 for an office on a work trip. You can also stare out foreward and see where you are going ... a bit like 1A or 1K on a Jumbo flight.

Turning the lights down low, and putting the music on and having the food delivered to you lovely dining area is really special. I'll never forget one waiter being absolutely overcome when he deilvered the food and said ......"Ohhhhh ... how wuuuunderful .... and romanticcccccc...... low lights .... romantic music ...... champagne ..... and lovely food ......" With all due respect to all .... if you enjoy the company of your perfect partner it doesn't get better than that even if only for the odd night when the rest of the ship is formal and all dressed up as penguins and partners. :D I'll hunt out piccies if you ask very nicely ......;)

If the budget allows I cannot say how unique the grand suites are if you are that type of person that wants the best of all worlds ie a private and public experience.

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Good evening all!

I've strayed from Silversea in recent years' date=' having cruised mostly with Oceania in higher suites, mostly Vistas on Marina, enjoying the smart casual dress code & the high spend per head on food in particular. Following today's announcement that NCL is to buy Prestige Cruise Holdings, owners of Oceania & Regent, I can't help thinking that these 2 lines will suffer in terms of product.

My partner & I are seriously considering moving back to SS next spring as we have found a like for like voyage, with more convenient dates on Silver Spirit. We have been booking Vista Suites on Oceania which are the equivalent to a Grand on SS. Has anyone here sailed in both? And if so, can you give a comparison? Just spending the last hour or so surfing the net I've been able to find few pictures other than the SS corporate shots.

La Terrazza is too small. It is difficult to walk between the tables. Most other venues (lounges, etc.) are also too small for the amount of passengers. Often they have to have the two Captain's Receptions since everyone cannot fit in any one room.

Rumor has it that even the crew prefer not to sail on the Spirit (just a rumor, however, after sailing on the ship, I have no doubts that this is true).

The Spirit was our first Silversea cruise. If it were not for the excellent service, food and general attitude of the everyone onboard, we would never have returned to Silversea. We decided to give it one more chance....... we sailed on the Whisper and loved it. It is our favorite ship of any we have sailed on (including Regent which we have sailed 18 times).

It's been 8 years since our last SS cruise, and I only have the Cloud as a point of reference, so I would be grateful if anyone who has sailed both lines could compare, particularly where the cuisine is concerned.

Thanks in advance :)[/quote']

IMO, nothing can compare to Vista or Owners suites on Oceania's Marina or Riviera. Having said that, we have sailed on Silversea three times (once on the Silver Spirit) - in Silver Suites but have been in the upper suites on the Silver Spirit. While lovely, again, no comparison to what you can get on the new Oceania ships.

I have posted on the Silversea board several times about our wonderful experiences on the Silver Whisper (our favorite) and Silver Shadow but rarely discuss our personal feelings of the Silver Spirit (probably because they are not positive). While I recommend Silversea to friends, I do not recommend the Spirit.

I am sure there will be much disagreement - perhaps bashing from Silversea regulars but here it goes. The ship was built during the downturn of the economy and it really shows. Most of the ship is plastic. In The Bar (quite a nice area), even the wood-looking tables are plastic. In the suites, the furniture, for the most part are laminate - made to look like wood. It reminds me of what I had in my very first apartment. The desk in the Silver Suite lacked drawers on the "desk" and "make-up" area (did not check the Grand Suite).

There is no restroom on the top deck for use by people in the lounge -- it was suppose to be built but I have not heard that it has been. La Terrazza is so cramped that it is difficult to walk between tables. All other venues are also too small to accommodate the number of passengers. Usually the Captain's Reception has to be held at two different times as there is no place that can accommodate all of the passengers.

Our first Silversea cruise was on the Spirit. Had it not been for the excellent service and food, we would never have returned. We decided to give it one more try -- on the Whisper. We loved it and still find it the nicest ship we have sailed on - even nicer than any of the Regent ships that we have sailed on 18 times. Apparently Silversea recognizes that this is their best ship since it is the one they use to go around the world.

Just one more comment...... if you have looked at the deck plans for the Spirit, the Grand Suite is in the very front of the ship where you feel the motion of the ocean the most. The Owner's Suite is mid-ship. Although we are happy with the Silver Suite, we would book the Owner's Suite over the Grand Suite if we were going to upgrade.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Travelcat2

UKCruiseJeff......you've just summed up precisely why we have booked the Grand on Spirit, and why we would always choose a Vista on Marina or Riviera.

Travelcat2.....you've just reassured me a little re. food! If an Oceania fan says the food was good on the Spirit then that is praise indeed. My most recent cruise SS was 7 years ago and, in line with previous voyages, food ranged from stellar to underwhelming, i.e. a little inconsistent (the best meal I have ever had at sea was in Safety (now Le Champagne) on the Cloud), whereas on Oceania I have rarely had anything outside of the very good to excellent range.

UKCruiseJeff......you've just summed up precisely why we have booked the Grand on Spirit' date=' and why we would always choose a Vista on Marina or Riviera.

[/quote']

Great. You've chosen wisely then!

This was 801 on Whisper which will give an idea of the experience but Spirit will be more "up to date". Can't find a picture of the bedroom ... other than wifey doing her "dog" impression. Enjoy your first SS cruise.

05240008X.jpg

05240007X.jpg

05240006X.jpg

05290017X.jpg

05290018X.jpg

05290004X.jpg

Thank you for the pictures.....I love the bar! I don't think I'd ever leave the suite' date=' hic![/quote']

To be honest ... we didn't really leave it that much ....tee hee! We had booked that suite because I'd been threatening to buy my own boat and keep it at Beauliue-sur-mer. However, we borrowed a boat from a friend for a few days - it was based up the road in Monaco - and it was so noisy we decided to look at saving ourselves a heap of cash and try creating our own environment within an SS cruise. Hence my earlier post about the 801 experience.

We used 802 as an office and SS were really good at allowing our guests on at each port as long as we supplied them with passport numbers in advance. They put some great seafood buffets on in our suite and supplied a butler and they guested our visitors all day for drinks and food and everything and much to my suprise didn't make any charge even though we were obviously expecting a hefty one. One of our clients based in Barcelona brought his partner and enjoyed their day so much they joined us on a later cruise that year and we had some real fun. My relationship with them is an odd friend/client relationship and our banter confused all our fellow passengers somewhat!

I just had another look and found some extra piccies of the suite of the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom had a seperate room with toilet, seperate full size shower and a full size bath. The suite also had a large entrance lobby with guest toilet and an entrance into 802. As you can see ... we always bring with our own pillows!

I do so hope you enjoy your cruise and you'll come back and tell us about it.

05290009X.jpg

05290010X.jpg

05290011X.jpg

05290008X.jpg

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Good evening all!

I've strayed from Silversea in recent years' date=' having cruised mostly with Oceania in higher suites, mostly Vistas on Marina, enjoying the smart casual dress code & the high spend per head on food in particular. Following today's announcement that NCL is to buy Prestige Cruise Holdings, owners of Oceania & Regent, I can't help thinking that these 2 lines will suffer in terms of product.

Thanks in advance :)[/quote']

My partner and I have been on Regent a few times, but mostly cruised on SS (getting close to 500 days) and really enjoyed Regent. I do not think you need to worry about the NCL move, the three companies were essentially owned by Apollo Management an hedge fund, perhaps one of the largest in the world. It would seem the move might be more of an equity consolidation than anything else. Of course when you own it all, it becomes harvest time, especially in the fall.

My first question would still be whether or not the Grand Suite on the Spirit is plastic rather than real wood. The wood on the Whisper and Shadow is beautiful. IMO, it really does not matter because the ship is not designed as well as the other ships.

Isn't it possible that Silver Spirit has little real wood and more laminate because of updated maritime building codes requiring less wood to reduce combustable materials on board?

Isn't it possible that Silver Spirit has little real wood and more laminate because of updated maritime building codes requiring less wood to reduce combustable materials on board?

Yes - this is definitely part of it. However, there are different qualities of laminate. I have been on Oceania's Riviera - newer than the Silver Spirit. It was obviously built to code but it was almost impossible to tell wood from laminate. It is obviously high quality. Unfortunately, the quality of laminate on the Spirit seems cheap. Again, the areas I really examined was the desk and make-up area of the Silver Suite and the little tables in The Bar. Perhaps if the Whisper and Shadow were not so beautiful, I would not have noticed the lack of quality and detail that went into the Spirit.

The Grand suites aboard Silver Spirit have wood; not plastic or laminate. It's just a lighter color than the Whisper and Shadow. Also, the furniture is more modern European than the other ships, but it is of good quality. Don't confuse the above pics of the Whisper with Spirit Grand suites; not nearly the same. To me the best feature of the Spirit Grands is that wonderful front balcony. Not usable at sea, but great entering, leaving and in port.