How Good is the "House Wine" on QM2?

Captiveguru

My father poured gravy over EVERYTHING and he made it to 91, so I'm not too worried. I don't eat a lot of gravy, and I do "penance" with lots of veggies. A friend jokes that we grew up on "a brown, a white, and a green," meaning meals consisting of meat, a starch and a veg.

Cheers for your Dad. Sounds like he lived life on his own terms, an surpassed the Goal Line. Nicely done.

I'm not sure how a discussion of house wine evolved into house gravy and pudding, but I'm all over anything that has to do with food and wine! In August, we were in the Cotwolds post-QM2 crossing, and while I adored the Sunday roast meal, I found the gravy rather blah. The Yorkshire pudding, OTOH, was sinfully delightful--like an American popover or any French pâte à choux pastry. And blood or black pudding for breakfast is an absolute treat! The whole "pudding" culture intrigues me, as it means something so different to the Brits as it does to we Yanks. There is a village called Mickleton that hosts a Pudding Club--we didn't time it right to try (I think it is on Friday nights), but it sounded like a delectable thing to do! As for Italian-American "gravy," that is another delicious Sunday tradition, which I've enjoyed in Boston and Philly, but not in NYC...Salacia or other residents, any recs?

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Artemis, thank you jogging my memory regarding the American Pop 0ver! As result of your post, I was able to find this recipe...http://enthusiasts.ciachef.edu/popovers/

Regards,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Oh, my goodness, that sounds wonderful, brigittetom! And thanks for the recipe, Salacia. There's just a touch of fall in the morning air--perfect for pastry making!

Well, not so perfect for pastry making where I live - record high temperatures and high humidity - nothing to complain about, and a good excuse for my baking failures :)

Artemis, thank you jogging my memory regarding the American Pop 0ver! As result of your post, I was able to find this recipe...http://enthusiasts.ciachef.edu/popovers/

Regards,

Salacia

That is almost identical to the recipe for Yorkshire Puddings. I have made these all my adult life, being a Yorkshire lass and living in Gods own County They are delicious made correctly and eaten straight out of the oven with seriously good gravy on their own before the Sunday roast. In Yorkshire they were made to 'fill them up' so they would not eat too much meat. You mix them the night before and put them in a cool place. I always put red wine in my gravy as it adds depth like posters have said the same as we are going to drink.

5 oz Plain Flour

5 eggs

Salt to taste just a good pinch

Full fat Milk (mix until it resembles the thickness of cream) it looks like a pancake batter.

This normally serves approximately 4 people increase for more people. Do not stint on the eggs you will end up with something more stodgy.

Your pan needs to be spitting hot use dripping or oil place in a hot oven 220c for approximately 20 mins. Eat straight away with gravy made with the juices of roast beef. I also use a little bit of pudding mix to thicken the gravy.

We used to eat this every Sunday but we bow now to a healthier lifestyle and only eat this now and again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm not sure how a discussion of house wine evolved into house gravy and pudding, ! There is a village called Mickleton that hosts a Pudding Club--/QUOTE

I must plead guilty there. My mother had a good friend, a Yorkshire lady who made just the finest Yorkshire puddings ever.

I wonder if the alternative meaning for "pudding club" has crossed the water as well?

David.

That is almost identical to the recipe for Yorkshire Puddings. I have made these all my adult life, being a Yorkshire lass and living in Gods own County They are delicious made correctly and eaten straight out of the oven with seriously good gravy on their own before the Sunday roast. In Yorkshire they were made to 'fill them up' so they would not eat too much meat. You mix them the night before and put them in a cool place. I always put red wine in my gravy as it adds depth like posters have said the same as we are going to drink.

5 oz Plain Flour

5 eggs

Salt to taste just a good pinch

Full fat Milk (mix until it resembles the thickness of cream) it looks like a pancake batter.

This normally serves approximately 4 people increase for more people. Do not stint on the eggs you will end up with something more stodgy.

Your pan needs to be spitting hot use dripping or oil place in a hot oven 220c for approximately 20 mins. Eat straight away with gravy made with the juices of roast beef. I also use a little bit of pudding mix to thicken the gravy.

We used to eat this every Sunday but we bow now to a healthier lifestyle and only eat this now and again.

Spitting hot is exactly the right description for the fat. One of the problems I have is getting enough drippings to make both gravy and YP. Roasts are sold with almost no fat on them. (Americans are TERRIFIED of fat on meat, but they eat all sorts of fats/oils in fast food!) When I buy a roast beef I have to ask the butcher for pieces of suet to put on top.

Yorkshire is beautiful. My grandparents came from the Leeds-Bradford area and the branches of the family kept in touch. We still visit relatives and tour around Yorkshire when we visit England. Where in Yorkshire are you?

I wonder if the alternative meaning for "pudding club" has crossed the water as well?

David.

David, I had to Google it to find out! I was expecting to find it was used to describe a type of night club.... Based on what I saw, though, I'd say, "No, Americans don't say a pregnant woman is in the pudding club." Of course, I'm past childbearing years, so it's possible that the 20-somethings having babies say it! But it did take a bit of digging, so I don't think it's common. Do you also use it as a way to suggest someone has eaten one too many puddings ala beer belly?

Lady49Monet, thanks so much for sharing your Yorkshire pudding recipe. I'm going to work up the conversions (including full fat milk--yours has a slightly higher butterfat % than ours, so I will have to get creative) and give it a try!

Lady49Monet, thanks so much for sharing your Yorkshire pudding recipe. I'm going to work up the conversions (including full fat milk--yours has a slightly higher butterfat % than ours, so I will have to get creative) and give it a try!

I keep the odd combination of skim milk and 1/2 and 1/2 on hand. Skim for drinking, 1/2-1/2 for coffee. You can play with mixing them to get the full fat milk. I've varied it over the years and I don't see a lot of difference with varying the milk.

My grandmother's proportions for YP are 1 egg, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt (I guess that's what I use, I ballpark the salt)

This makes four small side-dish YPs in a 4-well YP pan. It will also make a large single YP if you use a standard round cake pan, which is what Mom used until your Yorkshire relatives gave us proper YP pans.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Apologies to OP to hijacking this thread.

You are very welcome I will probably be drummed out of a Yorkshire for revealing the recipe lol

Sorry I haven't worked out to do multiple quotes as yet.

I come from Bradford, I now live just a couple of miles from Haworth (Bronte) we live overlooking the Moors Kathy and Heathcliff Territory😀

Our full fat milk which I still have delivered to my door in a bottle (green considerations) is about 4% you can get Channel Island milk which is 5%. I tried the skimmed and semi-skimmed but gave them up when I discovered the chemicals that are used to get the fat out. Since then there is numerous research both here and the US about how diary fat helps to reduced weight as part of a healthy diet. My philosophy is everything in moderation.

I shop at my local butchers whose lad keeps cattle which are grass fed in the Yorkshire dales and it is properly marbled with fat so does produce fat. As you say always ask for extra and they will oblige. If you don't have enough I would sacrifice the Yorkshire pudding and make gravy as it provides good flavour, use any type of oil or lard if you have some.

Edited by Lady49Monet

I keep the odd combination of skim milk and 1/2 and 1/2 on hand. Skim for drinking, 1/2-1/2 for coffee. You can play with mixing them to get the full fat milk. I've varied it over the years and I don't see a lot of difference with varying the milk.

My grandmother's proportions for YP are 1 egg, 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt (I guess that's what I use, I ballpark the salt)

This makes four small side-dish YPs in a 4-well YP pan. It will also make a large single YP if you use a standard round cake pan, which is what Mom used until your Yorkshire relatives gave us proper YP pans.

Not quite sure what a cup is lol. Try the extra eggs and see how it turns out. Ah you have the 4 part Yorkshire Tin? Tbh any tin will do I use all sorts if I am making a big one I will use the meat roasting tin. Ballpark???

Hi, Captiveguru, that may be their kosher wine source, but I don't think Carmel Valley is their standard house. I located a brochure identifying their private label, now an Italian. I am guessing this is the "house" pour. See http://www.cunard.com/documents/gifts%20and%20special%20occassions/wine%20packages%20(pdf).pdf

Not quite sure what a cup is lol. Try the extra eggs and see how it turns out. Ah you have the 4 part Yorkshire Tin? Tbh any tin will do I use all sorts if I am making a big one I will use the meat roasting tin. Ballpark???

Over here, We measure by volume rather than weight. A cup is 8 fluid ounces. Ballpark means to estimate. We say something that is close to correct is "in the right ballpark." From that we have the expression "to ballpark" meaning to do something close enough to the measurement we need.

Yes, I have the 4-well tin. I love it, the YPs really puff nicely in it. When (if?) cooler weather comes, I will experiment with extra eggs.

As for using the meat roasting tin, somewhere in a very old cookbook, I read that you should put the meat directly on the oven rack and put the roasting tin on the rack below. The drippings collect in the tin and you pour the batter into there. But then you have no drippings for making gravy, so I've never tried that. Plus, I really don't want to be scrubbing the oven rack.

A cup is a little less than 250 ml. 4 cups in a US quart, which is a little under a liter.

Serious cooks weigh flour when it matters (it doesn't matter in a popover). A cup of flour weighs around 4 1/4 ounces (I know - what's an ounce? 28 grams).

I may have found the answer to my quesiton. According to this site:

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/drink_cost

"We also serve Kosher wine, Carmel Ridge (white and red @ £16.50 a bottle)."

Well done, Capiveguru, in answering your own question. My fault no doubt, but I didn't read that you were asking specifically about Kosher wine. From my limited experience, Carmel Ridge is a popular mid-priced Kosher wine. But it is not the 'House wine' served on Cunard - passengers need to specifically request Kosher wine, just as we select any other specialty wine - including non-alcohol wine .

I remain unclear as to whether or not there is currently a "Cunard House Brand". Perhaps recent passengers would give us some guidance. Please, and thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Salacia

Edited by Salacia