LHR Terminal 5 Help

ssawjo

My DW and I are traveling to Cape Town, South Africa, from Phoenix, AZ to meet the Ocean Princess next May 2015. We are flying British Airways because they have a nonstop from PHX to LHR to CPT. So, two flights. The problem is that, not having lounge access privileges with BA, we have a lay over of almost eight hours (depending when the flight from PHX arrives) at Heathrow in Terminal 5. We arrive at approximately 1330 Hours, London time, on May 2, a Saturday. So, my question is, what can I do while I am there for this long layover? We will probably have two carryon bags, a CPAP machine, and my DW's rather large purse.

Any suggestions will be great.

Thank you, Bill

If you are flying economy, you won't have lounge access in T5. It's a reasonably comfortable terminal for sitting in public areas coupled with shopping and leisurely eating.

Actually flying World Traveller Plus, aka premium economy. Just wanted something more "spacious".

My DW and I are traveling to Cape Town, South Africa, from Phoenix, AZ to meet the Ocean Princess next May 2015. We are flying British Airways because they have a nonstop from PHX to LHR to CPT. So, two flights. The problem is that, not having lounge access privileges with BA, we have a lay over of almost eight hours (depending when the flight from PHX arrives) at Heathrow in Terminal 5. We arrive at approximately 1330 Hours, London time, on May 2, a Saturday. So, my question is, what can I do while I am there for this long layover? We will probably have two carryon bags, a CPAP machine, and my DW's rather large purse.

Any suggestions will be great.

Thank you, Bill

Hi Bill,

We are on the cruise with you but flying out for an independant 2 week pre cruise tour so won't be on the flight with you.

It doesn't appear that there are any lounges available to us 'ordinary' travellers in Terminal 5 but, as your checked luggage will go directly on to your SA flight so you won't have to drag that with you, have you considered going to one of the other terminals and paying to use one of the Lounges there? It is easy to get from one terminal to another. You can see what is available on the Heathrow web site.

We are really looking forward to this cruise as the itinerary is so interesting and unusual. Hope to meet up with you on board.

Best wishes

Isabel

... have you considered going to one of the other terminals and paying to use one of the Lounges there? It is easy to get from one terminal to another.
Sorry, this can't be done - except for any arrivals lounges in the other terminals that you can pay to enter, for example the American Airlines arrivals lounge in Terminal 3, which the AA website says you can get into for USD 90 + VAT (but I don't know whether that gets a guest in with the person paying).

With 8 hours between flights, one option would be to ditch all the bags at left luggage (the Excess Baggage Company's office is on the arrivals level of T5, at the northern end near the exit from domestic arrivals) and go into town for some walking around, unencumbered by any bags (which makes the Tube easy to do).

If you just want to stay in T5, then one option would be to have a looooong lunch at Plane Food.

I agree with previous poster. You can go to other terminals which have the facility for you to book private space for a sleep over for a few hours in the terminal but that would mean retrieving your bags, clearing UK customs and then taking them with you. We flew BA from Vancouver WTP and had access to the BA lounge land side but I think that's down to peculiar ticket arrangements. We were flying on from LHR to EDI on a plane that didn't have a WTP cabin so we were 'upgraded' to business and I think it was that scenario that gave us the lounge access.

I think you should check with BA to see what is available in-transit and what they could offer you for a supplement but I don't think there is a lounge in the transit area. This link may help a little:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections

The lack of a lounge that can be accessed other than through BA's loyalty scheme or premium ticket is my biggest gripe about the otherwise excellent T5. Much as I like the terminal I wouldn't want to spend 8 hours landside there.

I second Globaliser's suggestion of landing in the UK and doing something for a few hours - either in London or a tour of Windsor, perhaps. T5 security is a breeze so no need to worry too much about getting back very early.

If you wish to rest, an airport hotel is an option. There is a Sofitel at T5, which is lovely but generally expensive (I do not know if they do a day rate). Other end of the spectrum is the Yotel at T4, a capsule hotel booked by the hour if you think you will want to sleep - I haven't quite worked out your timezone issues! Or there are any number of off-airport hotels a short bus ride away, with varying facilities. Again for all these options you will need to land in the UK, i.e. clear immigration.

Edited by Cotswold Eagle

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions. By the looks of things, we will play it by ear, that is, if we are up to it, take the Tube into London for a pub lunch or something, walk around, etc. I thought about a hotel room to sleep for a few hours and freshen up but I will have to justify the cost based on how many hours we have to wait if the flight is delayed. I also thought about going to a different terminal and use either the United lounge or US Air lounge for which I have passes. I realize that I will have to clear customs/immigration to go to a different terminal, go into London town, or use a hotel. This is the one time I have NO worries about the flight from Phoenix being late and missing a connection.

If we go into London, can I purchase an Oyster card at LHR? We will be spending a few days in June after the cruise in London, so I can continue to use the card.

Thanks again for your suggestions. Or, as Globalizer suggested, a looooong lunch at Plane Food may be the trick.

Bill

Edited by ssawjo
add a word

Hi Bill,

We are on the cruise with you but flying out for an independant 2 week pre cruise tour so won't be on the flight with you.

It doesn't appear that there are any lounges available to us 'ordinary' travellers in Terminal 5 but, as your checked luggage will go directly on to your SA flight so you won't have to drag that with you, have you considered going to one of the other terminals and paying to use one of the Lounges there? It is easy to get from one terminal to another. You can see what is available on the Heathrow web site.

We are really looking forward to this cruise as the itinerary is so interesting and unusual. Hope to meet up with you on board.

Best wishes

Isabel

Isabel,

Hope to see you in Cape Town. Only a few short months away. Hopefully the Ebola business will be short lived and it will not affect us visiting some countries. Got some good suggestions and information about LHR. Will play it by ear as to what we will do once we arrive.

Regards,

Bill

I also thought about going to a different terminal and use either the United lounge or US Air lounge for which I have passes. I realize that I will have to clear customs/immigration to go to a different terminal ...
Sorry, you can't expect to be able to do this.

US Airways has no lounge at Heathrow. I don't know if your membership or pass allows you entry to the Admirals Club where there's no US Airways Club, and I also don't know whether there's a rule that you must be flying AA or US in order to get in. You'd have to look this up.

More importantly, although it is theoretically possible that you might somehow be able to get to the airside departures area of the terminal where these lounges are, it is not easy to do so - you are likely to be discouraged at every turn if not positively prevented from getting there. And even if you get as far as the door of the lounge, if you are not departing from the terminal in which the lounge is (which, in relation to the AA and UA lounges, is the case for your itinerary), the lounge is supposed to refuse you entry on that ground. This is an airport rule, applied to all lounges.

That's why I said above that the only lounge that you can expect to be able to get into is a pay-per-use arrivals lounge, like the AA lounge in T3.

If we go into London, can I purchase an Oyster card at LHR?
Yes, no problem. There is a London Underground help desk near Excess Baggage, and I think ticket machines too, and ISTR that there is also a ticket desk downstairs at platform level.

Sorry, you can't expect to be able to do this.

US Airways has no lounge at Heathrow. I don't know if your membership or pass allows you entry to the Admirals Club where there's no US Airways Club, and I also don't know whether there's a rule that you must be flying AA or US in order to get in. You'd have to look this up.

More importantly, although it is theoretically possible that you might somehow be able to get to the airside departures area of the terminal where these lounges are, it is not easy to do so - you are likely to be discouraged at every turn if not positively prevented from getting there. And even if you get as far as the door of the lounge, if you are not departing from the terminal in which the lounge is (which, in relation to the AA and UA lounges, is the case for your itinerary), the lounge is supposed to refuse you entry on that ground. This is an airport rule, applied to all lounges.

That's why I said above that the only lounge that you can expect to be able to get into is a pay-per-use arrivals lounge, like the AA lounge in T3.Yes, no problem. There is a London Underground help desk near Excess Baggage, and I think ticket machines too, and ISTR that there is also a ticket desk downstairs at platform level.

Well, that idea is out. It was just a thought. I will continue to consider the other three options, going into London, staying at T5, or getting a hotel room for a few hours. I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Well - we just came back from Istanbul, having flown both ways on BA's world traveller class. I can say that there is definitely a lounge in T5 as we spent a couple of hours there before we left. There is also one at Istanbul Ataturk.

If you go here http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/airport-information/london-heathrow-t5 and scroll down to 'Lounge Information' you will see. Free drinks and food were provided, also wifi.

Well - we just came back from Istanbul, having flown both ways on BA's world traveller class. I can say that there is definitely a lounge in T5 as we spent a couple of hours there before we left.
There are definitely plenty of lounges in Terminal 5. I don't think that was ever in doubt. Off the top of my head, there are the following available to departing passengers:-
  • Concorde Room
  • Galleries First
  • Galleries Club (South complex)
  • Galleries Club (North lounge)
  • Galleries Club (T5B)

The question is whether any particular passenger is entitled to use any of them, and if so, which.

It also says at the top of the lounge info only available if travelling First, Club World or Club Europe or if you are a Gold or Silver Executive club member

The OP says "Actually flying World Traveller Plus, aka premium economy. Just wanted something more "spacious".

T5 has no lounges to which one can gain access via membership of Priority Plus / Airport Angel or by paying.

The bottom line is that all the lounges in T5 are operated by BA and World Traveller Plus does not get one access to any of these lounges unless the person is silver or above in the BA Executive Club or the equivalent in One World.

I do not dispute that Bob had access to a lounge when travelling in World Traveller to Istanbul but, unless he is Silver or above in the Executive Club, he was very very fortunate.

Whatever, given the OP is travelling in World Traveller Plus he is extremely unlikely to get into any of these lounges.

Well - we just came back from Istanbul, having flown both ways on BA's world traveller class. I can say that there is definitely a lounge in T5 as we spent a couple of hours there before we left. There is also one at Istanbul Ataturk.
The OP says "Actually flying World Traveller Plus, aka premium economy. Just wanted something more "spacious".
This is still unhelpful to the OP. You do not get access to the lounges if simply flying World Traveller or World Traveller Plus.

And in any event, World Traveller is not operated between London and Istanbul, so it remains unclear what class you were flying and how you got into the lounges.

I can only speak from my own experience two weeks ago, when as a World Class passenger between T5 and Istanbul, I was given the use of a lounge. The same facility was there on the return journey at Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

I don't remember the actual name - the ticket says 'business'. There were only two classes on that flight, no first class seats, but we certainly turned left when we boarded. We also had priority check in ans additional luggage.

Edited by Bob++

I can only speak from my own experience two weeks ago, when as a World Class passenger between T5 and Istanbul, I was given the use of a lounge. The same facility was there on the return journey at Istanbul Ataturk Airport.

I don't remember the actual name - the ticket says 'business'. There were only two classes on that flight, no first class seats, but we certainly turned left when we boarded. We also had priority check in ans additional luggage.

It can't have been "World Class" because BA doesn't have a product called that.

You weren't flying World Traveller (economy) because that is not operated between London and Istanbul.

You weren't flying Euro Traveller (economy) because your ticket or boarding pass said "business", you had lounge access, priority check-in and additional luggage, and Euro Traveller does not come with any of that.

You must therefore have been flying Club Europe (business class).

So none of that is going to help the OP, who (as you point out) is flying World Traveller Plus (premium economy), which does not get you lounge access or priority check-in. (It does, however, come with an additional baggage allowance.)

You are probably right. As I said, I do not remember the exact description. All these similar sounding 'classes' are not helpful at all.

At least the OP will not be misled, but it may still be worth contacting BA to see if there is anything they can offer.

At least the OP will not be misled, but it may still be worth contacting BA to see if there is anything they can offer.
FWIW, I think that this will almost certainly be a complete waste of the OP's time (especially with the reported 1h+ wait times, sometimes, to get through to an agent on the phone).

You can't pay to enter any BA lounge at T5 if you're not already entitled to access. There are no non-BA lounges at T5.

And there seems to be nothing extraordinary about the OP or the OP's travel that would give BA any reason to make an exception. BA has many thousands of passengers every day in exactly the same position as the OP.

The OP's best chance of getting into a BA lounge would probably be to pay to upgrade one sector to Club World (business class). If there's a special offer available at LHR, upgrading the LHR-CPT sector for example would probably be something like £500-600 per person one-way.

Bob,

In your signature you have the quotation:

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.”

In this context, I would make the following observations:

1. I fly BA regularly, but, since retiring, not frequently enough to maintain my Silver status in the BA Executive Club.

Depending on the deals I can get for Club World, on long haul flights, I elect to fly in either World Traveller Plus or Club World.

I have, however, NEVER gained access to any BA operated airport lounge when travelling in World Traveller Plus, even when I been ticketed in Club World for the other half of a return journey.

The only benefit I get, when travelling Club World in one direction and World Traveller Plus in the other, has been that, when both flights were on the same locator code, I received the Club World baggage allowance of three checked bags on the World Traveller Plus flight.

To be fair, I have to admit that I have never tried to gain access when travelling on World Traveller Plus, but if you are correct then I also have to admit that the reason I have never had access to the lounges when travelling on a World Traveller ticket, will be because this experienced BA customer "believe(s) what isn't true".

2. Whilst I would claim to have a pretty good customer's viewpoint of flying BA, and would claim to be able to answer questions on all aircraft seating configurations, including the many subtle differences within the 777-200 and 747 fleets, one thing I am absolutely certain of is that Globaliser is totally au fait with all matters related to what happens on the ground.

As a result, in all matters relating to what happens on the ground, I would always defer to his/her statements.

To do otherwise would, I am convinced, be a case of me "refusing to believe what is true".

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I thought I already admitted my confusion with BA's many different classes.

I will say though, that having previously travelled 'cattle class', we really appreciated the benefits of the higher class, whatever they called it.