Level platforms or up steps to board trains in Venice and in Rome?

SevenSeas70

My ability to lift luggage is compromised (no overhead racks in planes, for example) and lifting even my light luggage up 3 or 4 steps from platform to trains is very difficult, as I discovered in Florence. I found that Pisa Centrale had train entrances that were level with the platform. What's the situation in Venice and Rome?

WOW! Not sure you can get a definitive answer. There are all kinds of different "rolling stock" on the Italian Railroad system (Trenitialia) and the boarding situation can vary from train to train. Our experience is that, more often then not, we have to climb a few steps to get into a train car almost anywhere in Europe. As to lifting luggage, you would not be the first person we have seen asking for help. There always seems to be a friendly passenger who will help, but we do understand this is not the way folks want to travel.

The other problem you would have is where to put the luggage on a train. With smaller pieces that contain valuable stuff, must want it right at their seat...generally on the overhead. But this is a long lift (over your head) which means you would probably need some help. There is also luggage space at the end of most cars, but this involves a security issue when you leave your luggage unattended (we have a retractable cable lock system for such situations).

Hank

In June we were in all of those stations (Rome, Pisa, Florence, Venice) and the step up was the same in all...2 or 3 steps.

It can matter what type of train you are on. Some local trains, like Rome to FCO have no steps, it is just walk on. It depends on the type of train, NOT the station. In other words, some short runs, like less than 90 minutes in the urban setting, may be walk on.

In most of our trips we were doing InterCity (IC), Regional or high speed.

Not sure where you really had less than that...

Thanks Hank, Euro, and Bruce for your comments and information.

Last summer we went from Florence to Civitiavecchia by train, changing in Pisa Centrale. Up the train steps in Florence, but across platforms with no steps, and elevators at each platform in Pisa. So far not bad. Civitavecchia was another and dreadful story. Unloaded 2 large and 2 carry-on bags down train steps, then down a long platform staircase to a connecting tunnel, then up the same length of steps to a grade-level platform and exit. I struggled carrying the second big (42#) case up the staircase and was relieved (no pun) when a man took the case the rest of the way, and disappeared without my having a chance to say "grazie!" (As it most Italian train stations, there are no porters at Civitavecchia and, if I understand the link, none can be arranged.)

This year I have serious rotator cuff issues that limit my lifting to 20#. I'm afraid I'll need more than an anonymous angel coming to my rescue. Perhaps I'll limit my travel to stations where I can pre-arrange porter assistance so that I don't always have to rely on the kindness of strangers.

We agree that the Civitavecchia station is awful for both those with disabilities and those who are quite able. Hauling luggage through that station when you have to deal with the steps (they have no elevator to some of the platforms) is no fun! And unfortunately, since we are talking about Italy (and Trenitalia) we would not put a lot of faith in pre-arranging assistance. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. Sad...but all too true. The reality is that Europe lags horribly behind North America when it comes to making accommodations for the disabled.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner