Hotel Close to Port Everglades for Cruise

mellon1

This was posted over the weekend. It happened Monday. As of today, this message is found here: http://www.porteverglades.net/

"IMPORTANT MESSAGE

close

gate relocation notice

Gate 6, located on Eisenhower Blvd. south of the Convention Center, will be closed permanently on Monday, Sept. 8 at 6AM as part of the Seaport and Convention Center Security Improvement Project. Port users that previously used Gate 6 will access the docks in Northport and the west side of Midport by using the newly constructed Gate 13, which is just south of Spangler Blvd. on Eisenhower, beginning Monday morning."

I assume that this means that you won't be able to access the port through 17th St, as the main Princess pier is between 17th St and the new gate, and you have to go through a security gate to get to the docks.

Edited by royalcruz

No, it certainly is not good news and likely makes the hotels on 17th a little less appealing. We pay a premium to stay on 17th and now we will incur a higher taxi fare. Oh well 17th still has the restaurants, the shopping and Total Wine.:D

Even as a local resident coming from north Fort Lauderdale we prefered the 17th St gate. I know it's going to be a big change for everybody. I started a new thread to alert people.

17th St is still a much finer neighborhood than S.R. 84 or Stirling Rd, and there is more dining there/grocery/wine store, so I think it is still going to be a very desirable place to stay for most cruisers. You'll still be able to see all of the ships from the bridge too. :)

• 3 months later...
All the current Trip Advisor reports rate the Comfort Suites at 1800 Federal Hwy at near excellent. When did you last stay at this hotel or are you speaking of Comfort Inn at 3551 Commercial Blvd?

Federal Hwy in June, and like I said it was nasty.

We wanted to give an update concerning this hotel at 1800 Federal Hwy. We stayed at this hotel on Nov 5th and was very pleased with this hotel. Our room was very clean, front service excellent and the breakfast had enough variety to fill us up. Places to eat at within walking distance & very close to the Port. Just wanted to inform people on CC that this hotel is great to stay at which agree with the reviews given on Trip Advisor. Not disputing what the previous poster commented on but wanted to give accurate info regarding this hotel when we stayed there.