Underwater Camera/Phone Case

nrain02

Anyone have experience with a good underwater camera? Or have experience with an underwater case for their iphone to use for taking pictures/video underwater? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money just wanted to see what was out there.

We bought a Pentax WG-3 in advance of our cruise in March as we wanted to use it snorkelling. We have been very happy with this camera. No functionality problems and lots of settings and options on the camera. Is a really fun camera to use. Our snorkelling guide really enjoyed using it and he took a lot of great pictures and videos for us during the excursion. We also used it a lot at the cottage this summer and got some great footage of the fish in the lake and everyone playing in the water. We are really happy with this purchase.

You can also get a version with GPS capabilities but we just got the plain version.

I think the WG-4 is the new version and from what I can see, you can get the "plain" version for about US$270.

I have an Olympus Tough 850 that I purchased here in Canada for under $200 at BestBuy and am very pleased with the photo and video quality both in and out of the water. If you have read any of mitsugirly's reviews and liked the quality of her photos then this might be a good option for you as this is the brand of camera she uses.

Personally I would not risk using my iPhone as an underwater camera. That would be a very expensive loss if it somehow got water damage.

Rochelle

Anyone have experience with a good underwater camera? Or have experience with an underwater case for their iphone to use for taking pictures/video underwater? I'm not looking to spend a lot of money just wanted to see what was out there.

GoPro. You should be able to find a Hero2 for a good price; unless you want the latest one.

Edited by azappraiser

GoPro. You should be able to find a Hero2 for a good price; unless you want the latest one.

I have a GoPro as well but that would not take the place of a regular digital camera. There is no viewfinder and the optional back LCD panel would make it hard (it's rather small) to frame the picture.

The GoPro is great, I just would not use that as my main camera.

wasiii

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Forums mobile app

Are you looking the camera for just snorkelling or for diving

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, just looking for a camera for our cruise for snorkeling. Outside of cruising once a year, I wouldn't see it getting much use as we already have a good setup for everyday photos. Thanks guys. :)

we bought this one a year ago, they had a sale , its a dive camera, good to like 130 ft deep, as long as you put a good battery in it it works well

http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-535/Cameras-Our-Most-Popular-Digital.html

we bought it last year on sale though for 109.00

now its on sale this year for 159.00 i see... new year model i guess

but has alot of extras and free shipping ... just uses a standard sd card

we had to use it on land last year cause our good camera drowned at Mr Sanchos :)

we use it alot when we take the seadoo out here in Fl.

Edited by griz400

We use both an underwater camera - I have a canon that is great - and an iPhone case called Sea Shell. DH uses the iPhone case. It works great, but is a battery drain because you have to turn off sleep mode while it's in the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I went white water rafting recently and decided to try one of the store's $10 waterproof smartphone cases out on my S3. Mind you, this was with no intention of ever submerging it with my phone inside without thoroughly testing it with a piece of paper or something inside, first.

Well, long story short I did not manage to stay in the raft very well, backflipped out with my phone in its case, completely submerging it several feet under. Turns out the case works fine! Can't find the brand just now, but if I do I'll post it.

ETA: Found it! My $10 miracle: http://www.coghlans.com/products/load-n-lock-4inX6in-1350

Edited by adivineeternity

Wow! These are all great ideas. Thank you:) has anyone used these types of cases and been successful with underwater picture-taking? http://www.coghlans.com/products/load-n-lock-4inX6in-1350

I didn't get a chance to try it underwater, given that I was busy trying to get out of said water, but I may test it out a bit before I leave on my cruise on the 21st.

I didn't get a chance to try it underwater, given that I was busy trying to get out of said water, but I may test it out a bit before I leave on my cruise on the 21st.

Darn! I was really hoping to see those pictures of you falling out of the raft.:eek:;)