4J Question Scratching My Head!

junglecat

Ok, I still don't understand this 4J room we booked. It's considered an interior with obstructed view. There are only a limited type of rooms on the ship (ours is deck 7) available. I've done the mock booking and have looked for days/weeks for a price change and can never even find this category listed. I'm wondering and I'm guessing that the ONLY way we'll see a price change is if this particular "special category" type of room is cancelled by someone and it becomes available. I know they are sold out or so our PVP told us. Am I correct in my thinking? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? :confused:

Ok, I still don't understand this 4J room we booked. It's considered an interior with obstructed view. There are only a limited type of rooms on the ship (ours is deck 7) available. I've done the mock booking and have looked for days/weeks for a price change and can never even find this category listed. I'm wondering and I'm guessing that the ONLY way we'll see a price change is if this particular "special category" type of room is cancelled by someone and it becomes available. I know they are sold out or so our PVP told us. Am I correct in my thinking? Am I doing something wrong? Any suggestions? :confused:

Which ship & date of sailing?

You've got it right. the 4J's are so few that it is hard to find a price drop

Agreed. If you Google search "cruise price drop" you may find a handy service that you can setup an alert if your category comes back.

We used it for upcoming glory cruise and have $266.66 in OBC currently. However, with 4J's being super popular, not sure if it would be around long enough for them to discount it.

Best wishes and have a great vacation!

You are correct. You can only get a price drop if your cabin category is not sold out. Due to the limited amount of 4J cabins they sell out quickly.

They same issue happens with other categories alos.. like Aft Balconies. Don't book these type of limited inventory cabin categories and expect to have much a of chance at a reduction. It may happen but then again it may not. You may see some inventory right before/after the final payment date as people make their final decision on whether to take a cruise or not, but most likely once booked, these cabins stay booked.

Have u ever stayed in a 4J before??

Thanks to all! We have not stayed in this type of room before. It came highly recommended by our daughter. We called and it was the last one available. I thought this was the case. Our only chance for a price reduction is if there is a cancelation. Thanks again to all that replied. Oh yes, we are on the Conquest , sailing February 7th!

Thanks to all! We have not stayed in this type of room before. It came highly recommended by our daughter. We called and it was the last one available. I thought this was the case. Our only chance for a price reduction is if there is a cancelation. Thanks again to all that replied. Oh yes, we are on the Conquest , sailing February 7th!

We have a 4J booked on the Glory next October. We have never stayed in one either. We typically will book a balcony or a port hole room on the older ships. From what I've read I think they will be a great cabin. It's a "ocean view" room at a great price. Sounds good to me!

I had a 4J on Victory (when she sailed RT from San Juan and it was a port every day).

Interesting cabin, but I'd never book that particular cabin again. This was 7205, one of the end cabins on Empress. Small, beds don't go together (which was fine because I was sailing with DD); modified bathroom, so very large shower with seat.

My problem was with the repeated door slamming every night and early morning. Good grief people. Just how hard is to NOT let a door slam? When both doors are open, there's a "wind tunnel" effect and they slam very loudly. Being that my bed was against the hull and the headboard against the cabin hallway, I was awakened multiple times every night. Having booked excursions for every morning, this wasn't a lot of fun.

There is also more motion the higher and more forward you are, so bear that in mind.

About the only thing I really enjoyed was going out early (I was awake thanks to the door slammers) and standing at the rail watching us dock every morning. Other than that, I just don't see that paying more for those cabins is something I'd do again. I actually didn't pay more - I booked mine because it was a free upgrade from a 4A.

Not my favorite cabin, for sure. I'll stick to my nice, dark inside cabins.

Yes you definetly want one of the 4Js that are not on the ends. Probably same thing goes for the last balcony cabin up against the door in the more hallway. When we use that door we do our best to not let it slam.. but for someone that is using it the first time ever, the amount of wind tunnel force can come as a surprise...

Also.. if you go out there at night.. be aware that many couples go out there thinking that NO ONE else will go out there because so few people know about those decks... give them fair warning by talking loudly when you go out there... :-)

I had this room on the conquest in July and I loved it, the only draw back is you will have people trying to see in your room so in the daytime its difficult but PLEASE make sure you close your curtains when the sun goes down because they will be able to see you in your all togethers. I actually had a grown man with his face pressed against the window it was in the day so I walked out on the deck and in a Loud voice told him it was rude to try to look in peoples windows, and told him he was a pervert, and turned and walk back inside. he was very embarassed and frankly I did not care.

I'm in the same boat (pun intended! :D). I have a 4J booked for the Freedom repo and have not seen a price drop yet. We have never had this type of room before and I really hope we end up liking it because it is a 12 day cruise! My biggest worry is seasickness as this room is so high up (Deck 6) and forward. But I'm hoping our preventive care of taking Dramamine daily will work like it has on our previous five cruises.

Does anyone know if those doors to the secret deck get locked at a certain time of night? I also have this irrational fear of being trapped out on the secret deck. Lol.

I had a 4J on Victory (when she sailed RT from San Juan and it was a port every day).

Interesting cabin, but I'd never book that particular cabin again. This was 7205, one of the end cabins on Empress. Small, beds don't go together

When both doors are open, there's a "wind tunnel" effect and they slam very loudly. Being that my bed was against the hull and the headboard against the cabin QUOTE]

We are in 7106 on the Sunshine which is a H/C. By any chance to you happen to have pictures of your cabin? I've learned I need to take pictures of various H/C ones to share as it is so hard to find any.

We had a 4J once, on the Triumph, I believe, and it was great - spacious and we loved the little outdoor area just outside our window - we could go sit outside without having to walk too far, and there were rarely any people walking by.

Interesting cabin, but I'd never book that particular cabin again. This was 7205, one of the end cabins on Empress. Small, beds don't go together

When both doors are open, there's a "wind tunnel" effect and they slam very loudly. Being that my bed was against the hull and the headboard against the cabin QUOTE]

We are in 7106 on the Sunshine which is a H/C. By any chance to you happen to have pictures of your cabin? I've learned I need to take pictures of various H/C ones to share as it is so hard to find any.

We had room 1002 on the Trimuph last July..I posted pictures on cruizr dot com..

I'm in the same boat (pun intended! :D). I have a 4J booked for the Freedom repo and have not seen a price drop yet. We have never had this type of room before and I really hope we end up liking it because it is a 12 day cruise! My biggest worry is seasickness as this room is so high up (Deck 6) and forward. But I'm hoping our preventive care of taking Dramamine daily will work like it has on our previous five cruises.

Does anyone know if those doors to the secret deck get locked at a certain time of night? I also have this irrational fear of being trapped out on the secret deck. Lol.

I did trans-Atlantic on Sunshine deck 7 bow. I loved it and it was really smooth sailing....surprised me.

Loved the deck. I was sailing solo so it didn't matter that beds didn't go together...but that's only on the end rooms.

Only downside...it was so far from any food. Had to have room service in the morning just to get coffee and juice.

We love the 4j's. Have stayed in them on the Freedom, Glory, and Liberty. We have one reserved for our next cruise on the Victory. We have not stayed in the handicap rooms on either end of the row, but have always had one of those in the middle. I think the rooms are the same size as the regular inside rooms, but with the bonus of a large window making the room seem bigger. Love having access to the front deck. It's a great quiet place to sit and read.

Unfortunately, my old review photos were hosted on Webshots, which went to a pay site so all my older reviews now have little red x where the photos used to be. I haven't gotten around to re-uploading them all to Flickr.

I recall saying at the time that if they would at least replace the tv with a flat screen, there'd be more room in the cabin. It really is a tight squeeze.

For me, the fact that it was a LONG walk to the food is a good thing. I almost always book a cabin on one of the lower floors and take the stairs the entire cruise. That's a lot of stairs.

I had 2217 (1A with portholes) on Glory and have booked that cabin for my Splendor to Bermuda. You come out of those bow cabins and look down the hallway, and it seems like the little "exit" signs extend off into infinity. :p

The good news is, I rarely gain weight when I cruise, despite eating about 4x as much as I normally eat. :D

I had this room on the conquest in July and I loved it, the only draw back is you will have people trying to see in your room so in the daytime its difficult but PLEASE make sure you close your curtains when the sun goes down because they will be able to see you in your all togethers. I actually had a grown man with his face pressed against the window it was in the day so I walked out on the deck and in a Loud voice told him it was rude to try to look in peoples windows, and told him he was a pervert, and turned and walk back inside. he was very embarassed and frankly I did not care.

It is possible that this man wasn't expecting windows to a public deck to be those of someone's private cabin. He may have been expecting to see an interior walkway or other public area when he peeped.

I can understand how the extra windows and great "interior" price of these cabins make them attractive, but I don't see the point of having the window if you can't leave the curtains open and I value our privacy too much to leave them open ;). Also the motion from being at the front and top of the ship puts them out of the running for me as I'm prone to motion sickness. I'm one less cruiser you have to compete with for these :D

So are you saying these beds will have to be two twins????? If so PvP didn't mention that!!

I am also interested to know this. I booked the 4j on the Dream and I can't edit to put the twin beds together when I access my booking. My pvp says the stewards will take care of it-certainly hope so!

So are you saying these beds will have to be two twins????? If so PvP didn't mention that!!

The 4j rooms on either end of the row are designed to be handicap accessible. Therefore, just the two rooms at either end have beds that do not convert to a king.