Help with a couple of questions sailing from Tampa

Baby Jayne

Hi We are going to Orlando for 9 nights and going to hire a car to get around theme parks and shopping Malls and also to get to the Port at Tampa (sail 8th November) We fly in and out of Orlando airport and was wondering is it best to pick up another hire car for one day to take us from Tampa to airport on the 16th November or to get a transfer? I know NCL only do a trip that incorporates a drop off at Tamp airport but we need Orlando.

There would be 4 adults and a baby.

Does anyone know if we get to Tampa early on the departure day is there any good shopping malls near by the port?

Has anyone any recomendations for scuba diving without Paddi certificate that the other family members could do while I look after the baby as its not my thing?

Can anyone post the menus please as I can't find any?

Is this Ship similar size and lay out of the Spirit? We have sailed on the Spirit, Jewel and Epic.

Thank you and sorry to post so many Q's... getting exciting now yeyyyyyy :)

NCL offers a Discover Scuba excursion that doesn't require being certified. I would recommend diving in Honduras or Belize(in that order). Currents in Cozumel are really strong and the dives are normally drift dives. :)

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Let me give this a try, there are shuttle services from Orlando to Tampa, But, you say you want to shop around here in Tampa,so you will need a vehicle I would come here 1 day early or 2 even, stuff to here as well, Busch gardens, Clearwater beach, etc, etc . You can rent a car and drive here, its only a 1.5 hr drive or less ...there is a motel that alot of people use here -- Tahitian Inn .. and you can call your rental car agent to pick up car there, Tahitian Inn has a free shuttle service to cruise port from motel ... also there is the aquarium where "dolphin tale" was filmed and now there is a dolphin tale 2 .... yjere id Brandon square mall, approx 10 miles from port .. big mall ... we live in Brandon..

now, that i forget the rest you asked ... i will post again ..lol :)

Wow, looking at your cruise, we are on that cruise ...we have a roll call.. i will give you link ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1970116

join roll call :)

also here is a link about the Sun, everyone here has been packing it full of info, pics, etc ... based all on their experiences :) :) :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2077120

You can get a taxi or bus outside the cruise terminal to the airport and rent a car there or you can rent one at the hotel as previously advised also hertz rent from the marriot at the waterside with a free shuttle bus

I would do a pvt excursion for diving any of the places you vist will do scuba diving without PADI though you will have to do some basic safety first do a little research and check out the dive shops on trip adviser for reviews

By "for hire", I assume you mean a rental car.

The Marriott and Embassy suites are within a few blocks of the Tampa cruise port and both offer rental car services. I would suggest using them vs. dealing with going to and from the airport.

If the pricing or availability indicate that the airport is better, do a taxi and not transfers. Cruiseline transfers are often more expensive than a taxi.

For as long a period as you are renting a car, you will likely be able to get a decent rate picking up in Orlando and dropping off in Tampa. As others have said, the rates will likely be for airport pick up/ drop off. Since you are travelling with a large party and a baby, here's what I'd recommend:

• Arrive in Orlando, rent car at Orlando airport, enjoy your stay.
  • Early morning day of cruise, drive rental car to Tampa port (very easy 1.5-2 hrs drive from Orlando)
  • Drop family and luggage off at the port. They can enjoy the Florida Aquarium right at the port.
  • Driver returns rental car to Tampa airport and then takes a taxi back to the port.
  • Cruise!
  • On your return to Tampa, the driver should select walk-off departure. Leave the luggage with the family
  • Driver takes taxi to Tampa airport to pick up rental car, then returns to port to pick up family and drive everyone back to Orlando to fly home.
  • Optional: stay an extra day or 2 in the Tampa Bay area. You'll have a car, so you can stay anywhere. The beaches are over on the St. Petersburg side of the bay. The "Dolphin Tale" aquarium is in Clearwater which also has great beaches and is a nice faily destination.

Thank you everyone, I have been reading some great ideas and showdown I think that is a great idea.:)

Happy to help! We've done similar plans when travelling with a larger group/ kids and it works very well. Enjoy your cruise. I'm doingthe same one a few weeks later.