Emerald "sideways" interiors question.

TLC535

I wanted to see if any of you have stayed in any of the "sideways" interior cabins on the Emerald, and if so, your thoughts on them or if you have any photos...specifically R407, R403, R514, R515, R507 or R508.

We are considering trying one out but wanted to try and get a little more info. if possible...one of the main things we were wondering is if they have the second (besides the vanity chair) "barrel" chair in them like in the ocean view cabins.

Thanks for any info....:)

I wanted to see if any of you have stayed in any of the "sideways" interior cabins on the Emerald, and if so, your thoughts on them or if you have any photos...specifically R407, R403, R514, R515, R507 or R508.

We are considering trying one out but wanted to try and get a little more info. if possible...one of the main things we were wondering is if they have the second (besides the vanity chair) "barrel" chair in them like in the ocean view cabins.

Thanks for any info....:)

A quick search with "sideways" brought up numerous threads and pictures,

Here is one....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314375&highlight=sideways

A quick search with "sideways" brought up numerous threads and pictures,

Here is one....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314375&highlight=sideways

Thanks ;), I had found that one searching...but didn't answer my question about the chair and the photos are from the Diamond...hopefully there will be someone out there to get a correct answer from on the Emerald :)

I just took a look at some sideways cabin photos on cruise deck plans. The site is free but you have to buy a subscription to see the photos and I don't think I can share the photos here. No pictures for the Emerald Princess, but several on the Ruby Princess and one on the Crown Princess. None of them had barrel chairs at all, just a desk chair. The cabins have a bit more room and maybe more storage. I would take one if available and I was traveling solo. Not sure what's directly above them, I would make sure it wasn't something noisy like the buffet area or the pool seating area.

Terri, I just saw your email last night. Sorry I didn't get back with you. I only check that email account once a week or so while we're home.

Yes, we've had R515 on the Emerald for B2B cruises one time. Setting aside the fact that the cabin was smokier than an ashtray when we first arrived (these were the days when smoking was still allowed in cabins), we were able to settle in on day 2. There were things I loved about the cabin and things I didn't like at all.

Loved:

The extra counter space (I once called it a second vanity and someone emailed me saying it ISN'T a vanity, it's a counter). Well, whatever it is, it's nice. I used the one with mirrors and it stayed nice and neat and DH cluttered up the other one. It was a very civil 20 days. ;)

The extra few square footage of room. If you want an inside and want your bed configured as a queen, these rooms can't be beat. You can do that and still have enough room at the foot of the bed to move around each other.

Hated:

The doors on the closet. I don't like keeping my water shoes closed in with my formal clothing. It didn't help that our closets never de-smoked, but, even setting that aside, I prefer the open closet in the regular inside cabins.

The amount of noisy foot traffic outside the cabin. This is a centrally located cabin, and there were people passing by all the time, except for the wee hours of the morning. And they didn't do it quietly either, even at 2am.

There is no "buffer" between the corridor and the cabin. It would be fine for a single, but for a couple, we had to devise a signaling system after DH opened the door on me getting dressed while others passed by him at the same time.

I would never book these cabins again, and also won't book a sideways cabin on the Royal/Regal because of the same privacy issue. Actually, on those ships the issue is compounded by the fact that, when the beds are set up as twins, one of them is directly against the corridor wall. Mine is almost a lone dissenting voice on the desirability of these cabins, but these are my opinions.

There was not a second barrel chair in R515 on the Emerald in 2010.