Downgrade in Cabin Category with extra charge...

jr_ewing_dallas_texas

Hi everyone,

We're booked on a Celeb Cruise in a C1 stateroom and have now figured that a FV Corner Balcony opened up. Both C1 and FV are more than a 1'000 USD more expensive incomparison to what we have paid 10 month ago.

While despite the price increase I could freely switch room numbers within the C1 category at no extra cost. Celeb wants to charge me for the category dwon grade to FV althoug the FV is cheaper priced than the C1 today (but still higher than what we've paid for).

Did anyone experience the same thing and do you also have an explanation for that - to me they would make the better deal if they just switched me and sold the C1 for an even higher price afterwards...?

Thnx for your comments and opinions on that.

JR

You can only switch within your current cat. For no charge. When changing

Cat. You will have to pay the current rate. This is how it has always been.

Gail

Yes, that's the case. We have switched from a C1 to an FV on 2 occasions. One time we paid no difference and the next time we got a refund.

The thing is that the cabin will sell for the price it is at the time you change. Unfortunately for the OP the cabin price has significantly increased. Just in the way that if it had gone down the OP would have had a refund, since it's gone up they would have to pay extra.

Unfortunately, our experience has been that when changing cabin classes you do not get the benefit of any appreciation in the selling price of your cabin. A change is generally priced at the current selling price of the new cabin and you only get credit for actual cash paid on the old cabin.

And while the FV seems to be in a lower cabin class, since it is originally marketed as a 5 berth cabin with each berth creating income, selling to a couple lowers the amount the cabin generates. Would you want the line to tell you that you could switch at the same per berth price you paid for your current cabin, but time 5 ? Corner FV's on M class ships are booked because the demand is high; if you want it you bite the bullet

I guess this is one of those situations where those of us watching pricings and cabin availability can't have our cake, and eat it too (Hopefully that's not too American).

There may be logic in the fact that you could give up your C1 room, and they'd make "more money" selling it, than the FV, and the fact the C1 especially if it is aft, is more (subjectively) desirable. I would guess there is a lot more to it than that, though I can't provide a list, or reason why except to say, can you imagine all the cabin swapping that would take place?

I do wish Celebrity handled this more like a hotel, where in a situation like this, you could call someone besides the TA or Reservation line, and negotiate. Like a front desk manager, or revenue manager, and they had the power to assist. The big difference is, we usually pick specific rooms on a cruise ship, when at a hotel, except in rare circumstances, we pick a room type, and are assigned the room.

In the end, this is a policy I don't think you'll find flexibility on.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks to all of you for your responses and confirmation that this seems industry standard. Now I at least know that another Agent wouldn't give me another answer.

Still look very, very much forward for my C1 Aft - and instead of the even bigger balcony in FV finally climb up to Elite ;-).

JR

And just for completeness...,.

After final payment, you can still change cabin class as long as the cabin class you want to move to costs at least $1 more than you have already paid for your current cabin. (reiterating....current paid, not current price). If you are in a C2 and an aqua cabin is offered at the exact same price, you will not be allowed to change to aqua* Similarly, if the aqua class cabin is priced lower than the C2 you will not be able to move to the aqua cabin**.

* This is the "official" policy...however there doesn't seem to be great consistency in following it...so if this comes up, tray calling a few different agents and maybe you'll find one that will allow the change.

** See the * above however if you do find someone who will allow the change, it is very rare that they refund (or OBC) the difference between what you paid and the reduced fare for the new cabin.

Edited by ghstudio