Sea Princess September cruise cancelled

MMDown Under

Or, they continued while waiting for a crank shaft to be

fabricated and delivered. (assuming that a crank shaft was

actually a problem)

Do you think the manufacturer told them "OK, we will make the part, but we have absolutely no idea when it will be delivered, so don't schedule any work until we tell you at the last minute"? And now the part happens to be available just when this other malfunction appears, and it just happens to be in Sydney, where there just happens to be dry dock space right now?

I find the pronouncements about what princess should have done

-- rather empty, given the people making them don't know the

details of the situation.

I don't know the details either, so I will avoid any pronouncements.

You are doing the same as I am, speculating about what may be happening behind the scenes and about Princess's motives based on what they have said and what we have observed. You are more willing to give Princess the benefit of the doubt (good for you), I am more suspicious in this case, neither of us is making any "pronouncements", just contributing to the idle, empty discussion that this board is in part designed for.
But, somehow I doubt it was princess' goal to keep running

the ship at reduced speed hoping to annoy as many people as possible.

I think we can all agree this was not their goal. But they seem to have achieved it anyway. :rolleyes:

Do you think the manufacturer told them "OK, we will make the part, but we have absolutely no idea when it will be delivered, so don't schedule any work until we tell you at the last minute"? And now the part happens to be available just when this other malfunction appears, and it just happens to be in Sydney, where there just happens to be dry dock space right now?

Actually, I have no idea if the crank shaft is an issue, or if it is being

replaced in this dry dock.

Apparently you do, as you told us princess should have made the

decision to go to dry dock two months ago. As you told us this,

I'm curious how I could reasonably arrive at this conclusion?

And, no I don't think the part magically arrived. If you can believe anything written

on cruise critic ... the claim is that a problem with the propeller shaft necessitated

the dry dock.

Edited by pablo222

Actually, I have no idea if the crank shaft is an issue, or if it is being

replaced in this dry dock.

I'm going by Princess's statement, which was reproduced above. I consider this to be more reliable than the run of the mill anecdotal information people typically provide on CC. It mentions both the existing crank shaft issue, and the new propeller shaft bearing issue, and it seems to say that both issues will be addressed now in Sydney.

But you are right, maybe they will only fix the new propeller problem, and put the Sea Princess back into service still unable to sail at full speed. I really hope not, for the sake of the passengers.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Salty Sea Dog']This ship is still in Dry Dock with another cruise cancelled - 424[/quote]

Bad news for the people that have that cruise booked. Good news that they are trying to fix it right and be done with it.