Sea Princess September cruise cancelled

MMDown Under

Current Sea Princess cruise, scheduled to depart 14th September, from Freemantle to Brisbane, Australia has been cancelled. Princess is offering full compensation.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/fremantle-to-brisbane-cruise-cancelled-on-board-virus-vessel-sea-princess-because-of-technical-problems/story-fnhocxo3-1227058185412?nk=0878dbb991e4de4273040eea07b91fdd

This was just posted on FB

Breaking news!

Due to ongoing mechanical repairs, Sea Princess, which was due to depart Fremantle today (Sept 14), has had to cancel its northern Australian itinerary. All guests are currently onboard and have been notified. Full refunds plus future cruise credits and travel expenses are being given as compensation. We hear the bar is a very popular place right now!!

Feel sorry for all those onboard.

From Aust and NZ Thread

This ship has been limping along slowly and arriving late to ports/missing ports for months. Princess handled this situation badly.

Edited by MMDown Under

Current Sea Princess cruise, scheduled to depart 14th September, from Freemantle to Brisbane, Australia has been cancelled. Princess is offering full compensation.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/fremantle-to-brisbane-cruise-cancelled-on-board-virus-vessel-sea-princess-because-of-technical-problems/story-fnhocxo3-1227058185412?nk=0878dbb991e4de4273040eea07b91fdd

Breaking news!

Due to ongoing mechanical repairs, Sea Princess, which was due to depart Fremantle today (Sept 14), has had to cancel its northern Australian itinerary. All guests are currently onboard and have been notified. Full refunds plus future cruise credits and travel expenses are being given as compensation. We hear the bar is a very popular place right now!!

From Aust and NZ Thread

This ship has been limping along slowly and arriving late to ports/missing ports for months. Princess handled this situation badly.

Glad to hear something is being done. We have considered this tour for the future, with reading of all the problems of late did not book.

Breaking news!

From Aust and NZ Thread

Good!! It took them long enough!! :mad:

Really disappointing. All summer long people have been saying that Princess should just bite the bullet and cancel a couple of cruises down the line and fix this ship. People would have had at least a couple months' notice. Instead, they now have 1900 passengers kicked off on the second day of a cruise that never left port. What a mess.

Has anyone heard anything about the following cruise?

Hmm, I wonder if the bean counters at princess factored in how many "happy" customers they generated this summer limping along at 8 knots, missing or short stays at ports vs the bottom line?

Bob

The bean counters may have had something to do with it.

Additionally, it finally could have degenerated into a safety issue. If they could only do 8 knots, what happens if one more thing goes wrong. Dead in the water? If I were a Captain (which I'm not) and responsible for the safety of all those passengers, I'd be pushing hard to make corporate fix my ship and make it safe again. Potentially going to the point of refusing to take it out of port.

All Princess needs now is the publicity similar to Carnival's "Poop Cruise."

Edited by beg3yrs

Here's a thought- with all the problems that have been reported about the Sea Princess,why did customers continue to book a cruise on the ship or why weren't people cancelling.?

Maybe folks who do not read the CC boards were not aware of the situation?

Bottom line-if the product is not good, why should a customer purchase it?

Here's a thought- with all the problems that have been reported about the Sea Princess,why did customers continue to book a cruise on the ship or why weren't people cancelling.?

Maybe folks who do not read the CC boards were not aware of the situation?

Bottom line-if the product is not good, why should a customer purchase it?

1. Princess wasn't honest about the real situation with cruisers.

2. We loose our deposit, if we cancel. Australian travel insurance doesn't cover cruisers costs if they cancel for these reasons.

3. Many cruisers would have already paid for accommodation and non-refundable air fares from East Coast Australia, because this cruise ended in Brisbane, on the east coast.

Really disappointing. All summer long people have been saying that Princess should just bite the bullet and cancel a couple of cruises down the line and fix this ship. People would have had at least a couple months' notice. Instead, they now have 1900 passengers kicked off on the second day of a cruise that never left port. What a mess.

Has anyone heard anything about the following cruise?

From Aust & NZ thread -

"We received notification today that it is unknown how long repairs will take, and they are unsure when sea princess will sail again. We have been advised this will likely affect future c424 voyages. __________________"

C424 Brisbane - NZ - 29/9 - 13/10.

1. Princess wasn't honest about the real situation with cruisers.

2. We loose our deposit, if we cancel. Australian travel insurance doesn't cover cruisers costs if they cancel for these reasons.

3. Many cruisers would have already paid for accommodation and non-refundable air fares from East Coast Australia, because this cruise ended in Brisbane, on the east coast.

Totally understandable.

Princess should have made other decisions about this ship in all fairness to would -be passengers who stood for heavy losses if they became aware of the situation and wanted to cancel.

They were on the ship and then kicked off? Imagine how frustrating that must have been.

I have friends on that ship so I will hear first hand how well it was all handled by Princess. They left Brisbane on 9th September for Perth.

Princess has a team to make arrangements for passengers.

It will be a nightmare trying to get flights from Perth in Western Australia for so many passengers. I guess they will have to put some up in accommodation, in the meantime.

Princess had to make that call.

From what I had been reading here on Cruise Critic that ship was having horrendous problems. Princess was not only watching out for themselves but the passengers as well.

Granted, I would not like it if the cruise I had selected had to be cancelled because of mechanical issues but I know I sure of would not have wanted to be floating out in the ocean without electricity for days! :eek::eek:

So between a cancelled cruise with full refund or getting on a vessel that needed serious repairs, I'll take the cancellation.

That's for sure!

:D

People complained that Princess was not doing anything. Princess are now doing something and people are complaining.

Can't please everyone.

Sent from my iPhone. Please excuse tryping orrers.

But you would think they could have made the decision to cancel during the previous cruise, before people started flying in.. It's not like the problems the ship is having are new.

The decision process was flawed, but a full refund + 100% cruise credit and travel expenses sounds fair if the article is indeed correct.

This is the very least they could do...and even then I would be pissed!! A lot goes into planning a vacation...time and energy and sacrifice AND PLANS!!.. Ugh, there is really no excuse good enough to explain this. They knew the ship needed work..LONG before this.

Edited by zephyrella14