Sea Princess September cruise cancelled

MMDown Under

All your money back plus a free cruise and travel expenses?

I would be interested to know what you think Princess should give you.

Mike:)

Its not about what princess gave...

There were people who planned and saved probably bfor years, people who may have been celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and maybe marriages. This may have been the only vacation for the entire year for some people. Yea they got reimbursed, but jeez what a disappointment...

This may have been the only vacation for the entire year for some people. Yea they got reimbursed, but jeez what a disappointment...

And you think Princess is not disappointed to lose a few million?

It's not like they planned this to happen.

No doubt so many people were disappointed. And it is too bad Princess couldn't have made that call earlier. But as people have said, much rather cancel the cruise than end up with one of those "nightmare" cruises.

As for the compensation, having two upcoming cruises to replace the one cancelled would go a long way to making me feel mollified.

Oh please. They earned losing a few million...

Their ships are their business! do not tell me they "didn't plan this"...they had to have known what condition the ship was in!

Clearly they still wanted to sail the piece of crap ship, Why else would you board 1900 people and sit in port until the next day...they were hoping to get away with one more 14 day cruise.....someone probably stepped up and gave them their choices once and for all; cancel or risk 1900 lives at sea and lose more than a few million!

Edited by zephyrella14

I have friends on that ship so I will hear first hand how well it was all handled by Princess. They left Brisbane on 9th September for Perth.

Princess has a team to make arrangements for passengers.

It will be a nightmare trying to get flights from Perth in Western Australia for so many passengers. I guess they will have to put some up in accommodation, in the meantime.

They will have to charter special planes.

Perth is not a through route , or a stopover destination.

No doubt so many people were disappointed. And it is too bad Princess couldn't have made that call earlier. But as people have said, much rather cancel the cruise than end up with one of those "nightmare" cruises.

As for the compensation, having two upcoming cruises to replace the one cancelled would go a long way to making me feel mollified.

Yea, easy for you to say, you weren't the one sitting in the ship only to get kicked off...

Whatever , like I said the compensation was good but the whole event was still ridiculous...Princess blew it! Big time!

Its not about what princess gave...

There were people who planned and saved probably bfor years, people who may have been celebrating birthdays and anniversaries and maybe marriages. This may have been the only vacation for the entire year for some people. Yea they got reimbursed, but jeez what a disappointment...

I know it was a disappointment for all concerned.

So what do you think they should have done??

Canceled a few years back before people started saving for the cruise?

Since they have been having problems for awhile, perhaps the decision to cancel could have been made two days ago.
Or two months ago! The ship has been limping along for several months now.
The decision process was flawed, but a full refund + 100% cruise credit and travel expenses sounds fair if the article is indeed correct.
Full refund and 100% future credit, yes, but are you sure they are covering everyone's travel expenses? As in refunding their original plane tickets (even if booked independently) and flying them home now? And flying them to wherever their next cruise leaves from when they eventually book it?

However, I think Princess should have cancelled a week before the cruise with the same compensation. This would have prevented most passengers from even traveling to the cruise ship to board.

I agree; but then again we are not privy to the information which led to the cancellation.

Who knows what happened in the last couple of days?

Oh brother....

Really? What should they have done?...oh I don't know maybe take the ship in for repairs back in the beginning of summer when it first started to act up. Cancel cruises or move ships/ people around, maybe folks could have made other travelling plans...Oh yea or, they could have maybe canceled before everyone TRAVELED INTO PORT, BOARDED THE DANG SHIP AND SAT THERE FOR A DAY AND A HALF!!!

It's about time! From what I've read this ship has been needing a dry dock due to mechanical issues.

However, I think Princess should have cancelled a week before the cruise with the same compensation. This would have prevented most passengers from even traveling to the cruise ship to board.

They should have canceled it several months ago.

Should have cancelled a couple of cruises when the problems started happening a couple of months ago. Instead of allowing the ship to limp around the Pacific and Australia on a go slow, missing ports etc.

I read that Princess was waiting for a part and was hoping that the ship would limp through until the part arrived.

These ships are getting a little bit long in the tooth.

Edited by icat2000

It's about time! From what I've read this ship has been needing a dry dock due to mechanical issues.

Happy now?

Everyone who reads Cruise Critic has known that; but "Coulda, woulda, shoulda" has already passed and Princess and its passengers have to deal with the present.

I would be just as disappointed as any passenger but given the circumstances what more could I ask for than the return of my money, plus a free cruise and transportation arrangements?

No one has offered any alternative other than "They should have done this months ago" and no one has disputed that, me included.

It's about time they did this. The ship needs repairs. The ship needs noro cleanup procedures.

Princess gave the people a full refund plus the entire cost of the cruise as a future cruise credit.

Good job, Princess.

Yes, they should have made the decision sooner and let the passengers know well in advance. That didn't happen but they did come up with a darn good compensation plan despite that shortcoming.

I wonder if they don't have some sort of insurance to cover their losses here?
That is exactly the problem! People have been saying for months that they should plan a dry dock, and instead they let it fall on their heads and now they have an emergency on their hands. I wonder though, if they maybe needed to let it become an emergency before their insurance would cover it…

Thats what I would try to do. See if another cruise line was leaving within a few days to anywhere and take that. Not sure if Fremantle has alot of ships going or if there is any vacancy. anyone on the ship try this?

Or book a nice hotel somewhere. There are always alternatives, especially when you are getting a full refund and a free cruise. It would be disappointing but I could live with that.

Thats what I would try to do. See if another cruise line was leaving within a few days to anywhere and take that. Not sure if Fremantle has alot of ships going or if there is any vacancy. anyone on the ship try this?

Or book a nice hotel somewhere. There are always alternatives, especially when you are getting a full refund and a free cruise. It would be disappointing but I could live with that.

There isn't any cruises going out of Fremantle until November so that option is out.