Passport Required on closed loop cruise

suznjune

Giving birth does not make you the "legal guardian" of a child. To be a "legal guardian" there is a court order naming you such.

If parents truly need to prove they are the "legal guardians" of a child, then they would need that court order. In most instances of daily life such is not necessary, but when traveling to other countries it's important that parents learn, and follow, the rules of the countries they are visiting.

What would be absolute proof which would be safe in all cases?

Are you suggesting that all biological parents should go to a Family or Probate Court and get a court order because they will be traveling with their children outside the country? Talk about back up in courts. :eek:

It would be years before they could all get a court date to accommodate their common travel activity.

While it might be ideal, practicality has to play a role, doesn't it?

Take a day off work, hire an attorney maybe (?), probably take the kids out of school for the day and taxpayers get to pay for all these court dates. :eek: In the process, other urgent matters that should be heard by the court could well be delayed.

I don't mean to be argumentative but am pointing out the obvious. I know you personally are a most practical person but not everyone is.

This is interesting. We have visited Costa Rica a couple of times on cruises and never were aware of this. We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise this Oct and were never advised of this requirement. I mean, we have passports, but you would think it would have been made clear on the booking that they were required?

This is interesting. We have visited Costa Rica a couple of times on cruises and never were aware of this. We are booked on a Panama Canal cruise this Oct and were never advised of this requirement. I mean, we have passports, but you would think it would have been made clear on the booking that they were required?

Is your upcoming Panama Canal cruise stopping in Costa Rica?

my daughter went on a closed loop cruise with us from ft lauderdale and was told she didn't need a passport a few years ago, was never written on the cruise lines site.

They would not let her board, said she had to have a passport. We sat and waited till everyone was on the ship before a customs agent came out and said she could go on,

BRING A PASSPORT!!!

Time for a reality check. In this day and age, and given world events, if you travel, get a passport. if anyone does not have a passport, they should. You simply cannot rely on a birth certificate - and that includes parents travelling with children. Just get a passport and then there is no need to stress.

I've also been to Costa Rica twice since 2012, and not needed to show my passport. But I think it is a safety and security issue for the cruise line, to have each passenger be in possession of one. I simply cannot understand why anyone would not make the effort to get a passport.

Time for a reality check. In this day and age, and given world events, if you travel, get a passport. if anyone does not have a passport, they should. You simply cannot rely on a birth certificate - and that includes parents travelling with children. Just get a passport and then there is no need to stress.

I've also been to Costa Rica twice since 2012, and not needed to show my passport. But I think it is a safety and security issue for the cruise line, to have each passenger be in possession of one. I simply cannot understand why anyone would not make the effort to get a passport.

Travel outside your own country = passport. It really should be a no brainer.

We did the Zuiderdam partial Canal transit in Feb/March this year. I do not remember getting any notice of needing a Passport. I know ours were not checked in Costa Rica. In October we are doing a complete transit from FLL to San Diego, stopping in Costa Rica and in December we are returning to FLL, again stopping in Costa Rica. To date we have not received any notice of needing Passports.

With that said ... we do have Passports :) and I wonder if HAL knows that because of our "on-line check in" (which I do as soon as I book a cruise). Maybe that's why we don't get the notices?

In our case, we recently booked an Oct PC cruise (stop in Costa Rica). First, we were told by the PCC agent at booking that we had to have a passport, then on our booking receipt it had a separate page telling us that we had to have a passport and finally, about 2-3 weeks after booking we got an email from HAL reminding us that we had to have a passport.

We did book directly with a HAL PCC, so perhaps this is the difference?

We are on the same Veendam cruise as you. See my post above. We also have not been advised about a required Passport for any PC cruise this year ... and we will have done 3 by year end. We booked all thru HAL PCC. We do have Passports, so no problem - just strange.

Edited by Linda&Vern