Is Dining Really That Bad?

Raxter54

I'm just hoping that the food on the Serenade is *better* than Golden Corral. :o

I'm sure DW and I will enjoy our meals, and we plan on being somewhat adventurous. Just need to take some of these negative food reviews with a grain of salt....

True. Very true.

I never had a bad experience with food in either MDR or Windjammer. There were some things I did not like, but most of it is good food.

Get ready to enjoy. All of RCI's restaurants are an experience.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Forums mobile app

The one thing that a MDR is able to offer is a different menu every night along with the always available -- keep same dining time, table and same table mates.

With DD to get different food, you have to go to a different dining room -- different times, table, wait staff and possibly dining with only with your companion(s).

Plus, you also need to schedule around show times and activities.

Eating at 9:45 PM is not very desirable if you have to take medication or are a diabetic. Eating at the buffet is also not very desirable to be able to eat at a reasonable time.

When I go on vacation I do not want to have to work to make decisions on show times, meal times, etc. I go to relax and be waited on.

MARAPRINCE

The one thing that a MDR is able to offer is a different menu every night along with the always available -- keep same dining time, table and same table mates.

With DD to get different food, you have to go to a different dining room -- different times, table, wait staff and possibly dining with only with your companion(s).

Eating at 9:45 PM is not very desirable if you have to take medication or are a diabetic. Eating at the buffet is also not very desirable to be able to eat at a reasonable time.

When I go on vacation I do not want to have to work to make decisions on show times, meal times, etc. I go to relax and be waited on.

MARAPRINCE

That is our feeling too.

MARAPRINCE

============================

I completely agree with Maraprince. After cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway from September 7-14, 2014, my first taste of "freestyle" isn't a good one. I prefer eating in one main dining room, having a choice of vegetarian items, having the wait staff know us and our likes or dislikes. I cruised in January on the Carnival Splendor where every meal was wonderful. The waiter knew I was vegetarian and that I liked yogurt in the morning so each evening after dinner he brought me a couple of yogurts for me to put in the cabin refrigerator. He would recommend menu items or bring samples. It just made a positive difference in our dining experience on board that ship. On the Norwegian Breakaway earlier this month, having different dining rooms, having to reserve around show times and other activity times, having different wait staff each meal, was frankly a chore. As a vegetarian, it annoyed me greatly that each menu on board the Breakaway had ONE vegetarian item and if I didn't like it I was out of luck. Fortunately on the first day I met the Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager at the Cruise Critic Luncheon after having an inedible vegetarian fajita at that lunch. The Exec Chef offered to prepare meals for me if I contacted him beforehand and I did so on just two occasions, both The Manhattan Room on the Breakaway. My meals were delicious. But should I have to do that for every meal? This was my 12th cruise and the first time I can remember having just ONE selection on the dinner menu. It's true that dining isn't the only thing done on a cruise and I did find the buffet decent but I don't like buffets. I'm not happy that for me to eat a decent vegetarian meal I had to visit the buffet, which unfortunately caused me to overeat (something I actually never do on a cruise. I think I was fueled by hunger from the lack of choices). Bottom line is that my September 2014 cruise was a learning experience. I now know that I don't like "free style" and it won't surprise me if other cruise lines follow suit and institute "free style" as a cost cutting measure. Maybe demographics makes a difference. I've spoken with much younger people who actually like "free style" because they like eating at different venues. For me "free style dining" is the way to go on land, not at sea. And I certainly expect more vegetarian options. As far back as the late 1990s and the early 2000s, most ships I cruised on actually had a separate vegetarian menu. I would have thought that in this day and age, when more people are vegetarian or even vegan, things would at least be the same or better than back then.

Edited by Nisky18

Honestly, my gf and I went on a cruise together (liberty of the seas) in march and had a blast, we thought the cruise food was great, then we decided to try a all inclusive resort in punta cana...and the food there was ....nothing compared to the cruise. So we booked another cruise (oasis) for next year.

I have learned over the years that in the MDR when the Head Waiter asks if there is

anything that I can get you I request things not on the menu ( within reason and a 1 day notice.)

My wife (a vegetarian) and myself are very,very picky. We dont eat anything we cant

pronounce.

On our last cruise last month, I asked for spaghetti and meat sauce and black-bean soup

Not on the menu- no problem. My wife got assorted vegetables, any one's she wanted. She

also had salmon 3 nights (only on the menu once). If its on the ship, they will try and accommodate you.

============================

I completely agree with Maraprince. After cruising on the Norwegian Breakaway from September 7-14, 2014, my first taste of "freestyle" isn't a good one. I prefer eating in one main dining room, having a choice of vegetarian items, having the wait staff know us and our likes or dislikes. I cruised in January on the Carnival Splendor where every meal was wonderful. The waiter knew I was vegetarian and that I liked yogurt in the morning so each evening after dinner he brought me a couple of yogurts for me to put in the cabin refrigerator. He would recommend menu items or bring samples. It just made a positive difference in our dining experience on board that ship. On the Norwegian Breakaway earlier this month, having different dining rooms, having to reserve around show times and other activity times, having different wait staff each meal, was frankly a chore. As a vegetarian, it annoyed me greatly that each menu on board the Breakaway had ONE vegetarian item and if I didn't like it I was out of luck. Fortunately on the first day I met the Executive Chef and Restaurant Manager at the Cruise Critic Luncheon after having an inedible vegetarian fajita at that lunch. The Exec Chef offered to prepare meals for me if I contacted him beforehand and I did so on just two occasions, both The Manhattan Room on the Breakaway. My meals were delicious. But should I have to do that for every meal? This was my 12th cruise and the first time I can remember having just ONE selection on the dinner menu. It's true that dining isn't the only thing done on a cruise and I did find the buffet decent but I don't like buffets. I'm not happy that for me to eat a decent vegetarian meal I had to visit the buffet, which unfortunately caused me to overeat (something I actually never do on a cruise. I think I was fueled by hunger from the lack of choices). Bottom line is that my September 2014 cruise was a learning experience. I now know that I don't like "free style" and it won't surprise me if other cruise lines follow suit and institute "free style" as a cost cutting measure. Maybe demographics makes a difference. I've spoken with much younger people who actually like "free style" because they like eating at different venues. For me "free style dining" is the way to go on land, not at sea. And I certainly expect more vegetarian options. As far back as the late 1990s and the early 2000s, most ships I cruised on actually had a separate vegetarian menu. I would have thought that in this day and age, when more people are vegetarian or even vegan, things would at least be the same or better than back then.

I also do not want to end up with a 9:45 PM dining time either! I sail with 2 or sometimes 3 diabetics who could not handle dining this late. So, I guess that is why the WJ is open 24 hrs. on the Quantum. By the time you would finish dinner it is close to midnight. While I may stay up late, I do not eat that late!:confused:

MARAPRINCE