Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

No, because we always leave the autotips in place and tip extra in cash at the end if warranted which is the best of both worlds. If I were a room steward and knew someone had removed the tips from their account (yes, they know), I'd be thinking, uh oh, this cheap yahoo is gonna stiff me no matter what I do. Since it takes some effort to remove he tips, why else would someone do it unless they wanted to pay less? With our way, they know they will not be stiffed and might try harder to get something more at the end.

This.

If someone wants to quibble over $12 a day, they shouldn't be on a cruise. $12 a day to keep your room up is cheap. Now, if they don't do a good job, you can address that on the ship, up to and including removing tips at that time.

So far, every room steward I've met has been very nice and helpful, and I'm happy to give them (and all of the other people you don't see, auto-gratuities are not just for the room) the $12 a day, and something extra at the end. I make sure to have a few $20s on the last day. Room steward, MDR waiter, assistant, and last cruise I also tipped the steward for my brother's room since I was there a lot and saw him more than my own :-D