Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

For those who do intend on tipping- I just don't see the point. Why waste the 15 minutes? You could get right on the ship, have a drink and take a selfie to post to FB instead of standing in line :cool: or you know, whatever it is that you enjoy.

I mean we "always" deposit our paychecks in the bank on Fridays.....until we didn't anymore because everyone had direct deposit!

I understand where you're coming from. For me and my family, we've been cruising since the 90's with Royal and just feel more comfortable this way. We have many old friends that were and are crew members and cash is just better for them. So we will continue to do that for as long as we're comfortable with it. The 15 minutes makes no difference for us as we've been doing this for years...it's part of the tradition!

I understand where you're coming from. For me and my family, we've been cruising since the 90's with Royal and just feel more comfortable this way. We have many old friends that were and are crew members and cash is just better for them. So we will continue to do that for as long as we're comfortable with it. The 15 minutes makes no difference for us as we've been doing this for years...it's part of the tradition!

We agree i tip the way i want.We don't need royal to collect our money,and give it to who they want.We decide who to tip.:)

Hi OP,

I always remove the auto tips and pay with cash. I just let the steward and waitstaff know up front not to worry they will get the full amount in cash if they see them removed so they are not left wondering all week. I've also given the steward the choice the first few times for us to leave them on if they prefer just to make sure they were ok with it, and every time they said that cash was better for them, but they are not supposed to say that (I stopped asking after a while and just go ahead and do it now). Never had an issue with service at all.

I appreciate your response. We will tell the steward up front that we removed them and they will get the cash at the end. That is a good idea!!! Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Forums mobile app

I tend to agree with the theory that a lion's share of the passengers that remove the autotip, only to end up giving the EXACT amount in cash, are few. It dawned on me that there could only be a couple reasons why someone would bother doing this and tip the same amount.

It could be a generational thing. Once in a blue moon, I see someone writing out a check. Granted, these folks are at least 70 years old and technology still makes them queasy. It's a control thing and many people feel an overall sense of loss of control, that any opportunity to have it is taken.

The other is likely an ego thing. There are just those folks that feel grander when handing someone cash. Nothing wrong with that, but that desire to be the cash giver probably has nothing to do with age....more where they are in their community, status in family, and of course, family history. I bet these folks rarely leave the envelope in room, etc., because that would defeat the purpose and they would be robbed of the feeling THEY get when giving tips (yes, this action is about the way it makes THEM feel and has little or nothing to do with the server).

Or why else would someone bother (if they really are going to GIVE JUST AS MUCH)? It doesn't make any sense. There is always emotions tied to what people do and the act of handing cash....person to person.....is filled with lots of various emotions--the good, the bad and the ugly.

I agree, removing the auto tips means you are a cheapo.

Totally disagree!! We always do cash tips. We do not use credit cards at all and don't even own one. We do have debit cards but after having someone else's onboard cruise booking accidently charged to our debit cards we no longer put a card on our account. It actually took about 2 weeks and many phone calls to RCCL for that cruise charge to be removed.

We no longer trust RCCL or any cruiseline with our debit card info!!

I realize that we can still pay cash to settle up our onboard account but we just prefer to cut out the middle man and hand cash to our servers and attendants.

It is a bit rude to just assume that anyone who doesn't handle tips the same way as you do is a CHEAPO.

Just another side to the coin here lol !

On my last Rccl cruise we joined a large trad dinning table (our own was empty first 3 nights) and over a 14 night cruise the other table guests were mentioning that they would leave a good tip because waitstaff were so great, this was usual to us with trad dinning anyway as we always have a table whip around last night, until we found out all the other guests on our table had removed daily autos:(

Both my wife and I decided to remove our autos on day 12 and pay in cash along with the other table guests.

I mentioned this in a post just after the cruise and was flammed:confused:

You see I felt uncomfortable with leaving autos in place and not leaving a substantial last night tip on top as other table guests were hinting would happen to the waitstaff everynight.

OK other peoples tip option should not affect me but they did! and it was a pain in the Butt splitting cash to all intended and I will never do it again.

All got their full grats from us but I would have preferred to leave them as is and tip a bit extra if I felt the need, my usual $20 last night extra may have seemed paltry if other guests had handed over much more at the table thus my pre thought embarrassment.

In the end though last night their tips were not even close to the recommended anyway:mad:

I still believe that many who remove autos for cash only do it to pay less in the end but that is entirely up to them because its none of my business how others choose to spend their money.

All Cruiselines should just add the grats into the fare price and be done with it, like its now done in Australia:)

I find this a bit odd as how would you even know what is in the envelopes others give out, or they know how much is in yours? We leave autos in place and give additional if warranted, usually in the range of $20 to $50. It is in the envelope which we hand to our servers with a sincere thank you. Never has a server opened it at the table to see how much is it, nor has any other guest asked us how much we gave.

Unless people at your table are just handing over wads of cash with no envelope??

We also do not auto-tip and have always received great service. In fact, last year on the MS Zuiderdam (HAL) we did pre-pay due to some confusion in the booking of the cruise and we received the worst room steward service in our 5 cruises.

A lot of people will jump down your throat and call you cheap for not auto-paying, but it's your money and until the cruise industry finds a way to pay their staff properly without hidden charges to the customers they'll need to deal with them not being paid a fair wage. Working on a cruise ship is a choice.

So, do you tip? Or are you just contributing to the cruise lines not paying their staff an unfair wage?

I just read on here a post about having the tips removed and paying at the end may cause not so great of service by the steward. Really??? Has anyone actually experienced that? I would feel to be the opposite honestly. Do a great job and get a wonderful tip at the end. If they do a not so great job then I would think at that point people would try to stiff them. Im wondering if anyone has actually experienced this??

i do prefer to leave the automatic tips in place and give a little extra at the end.

I find this a bit odd as how would you even know what is in the envelopes others give out, or they know how much is in yours? We leave autos in place and give additional if warranted, usually in the range of $20 to $50. It is in the envelope which we hand to our servers with a sincere thank you. Never has a server opened it at the table to see how much is it, nor has any other guest asked us how much we gave.

Unless people at your table are just handing over wads of cash with no envelope??

Simple answer to your question! our grats were the only ones handed over in envelopes, envelopes that we had to get from GS when we removed the autos, the other table guests handed over small amounts of cash in no envelopes, given the other 6 table guests had already told us they had all removed auto grats then it is obvious the cash they handed over was all they gave.

Envelopes are no longer freely distributed as a norm and

remember also this was a 14 night cruise so not hard to do the math.

Not all money is one colour like in USA in fact I think you are the only ones in the world! Most money denominations can be recognized by colour and size and do not rely on a number and Past president to identify its denomination.

I love how others doubt another's fact because they are unable to think outside the square they live in! lol

Have you stopped to think how many cruise critic threads would result should the cruise lines adopt your suggestion? The internet would melt down.

Tipping threads are now almost non existent on Australia New Zealand boards so what leads you to believe it would be any different for USA passengers given almost 100% profess to pay over and above grats even when they remove auto grats in favour of cash tips? lol

You may believe it just another of your Rights being taken away by adding the grats to your fare? But it is in fact not your Right to take away a service charge and tip individuals as you please in any other country you visit so why so on a cruise ship?

A service charge is a fixed amount charged for service irrespective of the quality of that service. It is quite different from a gratuity which is not a fixed amount and is supposed to be based on the quality of the service provided. "Suggested" gratuities amounts are not a service charge. Neither a service charge nor a gratuity really represent an employers paid salary.

What an individual decides to do with awarding a gratuity is a right solely up to that person.

Simple answer to your question! our grats were the only ones handed over in envelopes, envelopes that we had to get from GS when we removed the autos, the other table guests handed over small amounts of cash in no envelopes, given the other 6 table guests had already told us they had all removed auto grats then it is obvious the cash they handed over was all they gave.

Envelopes are no longer freely distributed as a norm and

remember also this was a 14 night cruise so not hard to do the math.

Not all money is one colour like in USA in fact I think you are the only ones in the world! Most money denominations can be recognized by colour and size and do not rely on a number and Past president to identify its denomination.

I love how others doubt another's fact because they are unable to think outside the square they live in! lol

Erm,I'm Australian (clearly listed on my name block). How awkward for you to look foolish and be such a smarta%*& with your assumption.

Giving cash without the envelope is definitely an anomaly, which is why I posed that question. On every cruise we have been on, whether in Australia or the US, the envelopes have been provided and everyone used them. So I continue to think this is odd.

Edited by BekkaW

Tipping threads are now almost non existent on Australia New Zealand boards so what leads you to believe it would be any different for USA passengers given almost 100% profess to pay over and above grats even when they remove auto grats in favour of cash tips? lol

You may believe it just another of your Rights being taken away by adding the grats to your fare? But it is in fact not your Right to take away a service charge and tip individuals as you please in any other country you visit so why so on a cruise ship?

You may be correct if you're saying that over time tipping threads would disappear. I was imagining the instantaneous effect of changing to a mandatory service charge. This board would melt down if that happened.

As long as RCI continues to call them 'gratuities' it remains the right of the passenger to remove them. Just because you choose to call it a 'service charge' does not make it so.

Erm,I'm Australian (clearly listed on my name block). How awkward for you to look foolish and be such a smarta%*& with your assumption.

Giving cash without the envelope is definitely an anomaly, which is why I posed that question. On every cruise we have been on, whether in Australia or the US, the envelopes have been provided and everyone used them. So I continue to think this is odd.

I have never been given envelopes on US cruises Carnival or RCI so not such an anomaly except your closed thoughts on the issuing of envelopes which is now a thing of the past:)

You may be correct if you're saying that over time tipping threads would disappear. I was imagining the instantaneous effect of changing to a mandatory service charge. This board would melt down if that happened.

As long as RCI continues to call them 'gratuities' it remains the right of the passenger to remove them. Just because you choose to call it a 'service charge' does not make it so.

The problem is RCI call them Tips for you and A service charge for me? "Not Me just saying it" Its written in my RCI AU terms and conditions that Gratuities are a service charge or tips and are one and the same thing.

Same company same ships different T&C wording for the same thing:confused

Its either a service charge or not a service charge in which case RCI are either lying to its Australian customers or lying to its US customers:)

How many passengers do you think retain the right to remove pre paid gratuities in their entirety for MTD? Pre paids for MTD are also only called "Gratuities" in USA so therefore must be able to be removed under the exact same onboard conditions as auto grats are unless they are a service charge:)

A service charge is a fixed amount charged for service irrespective of the quality of that service. It is quite different from a gratuity which is not a fixed amount and is supposed to be based on the quality of the service provided. "Suggested" gratuities amounts are not a service charge. Neither a service charge nor a gratuity really represent an employers paid salary.

What an individual decides to do with awarding a gratuity is a right solely up to that person.

So what are your though on compulsory pre paid gratuities for MTD being a "Suggestion" but must be paid? and RCI calling gratuities "A service charge" in Australian T&C,s?:)

If Royal Caribbean offers different payment methods as options, why does anyone deserve to be pilloried for selecting any of the available options?

If someone were trying to circumvent the system, that's a different story.

I fully support the crew and feel they deserve these tips. However, what I do not support is paying a company 2.5 months in advance for service, only for them to dole it out .5 to 1 month AFTER I have received the service. I also find it off putting that for my last 5 cruises Royal basically forced me into My Time Dining (the pay early part) when those in traditional dining had the ability or option to use OBC to cover gratuities.

If Royal wants to treat all guests fairly and add the auto-charge to the onboard account, I am generally supportive of that. My front door doesn't say "Bank of LMaxwell". Why should they treat me differently than other guests?

I am not mollified by paying months ahead of something so I no longer have to think about it. Frankly, I don't understand that line of thought when it purchases me exactly zero value.

I could not agree more. Booking a cruise 12 months in advance, bring told that only MTD is available and being required to prepay the tips is nothing more than a money grab.

And this had nothing to do with the tips themselves.

I tend to agree with the theory that a lion's share of the passengers that remove the autotip, only to end up giving the EXACT amount in cash, are few. It dawned on me that there could only be a couple reasons why someone would bother doing this and tip the same amount.

It could be a generational thing. Once in a blue moon, I see someone writing out a check. Granted, these folks are at least 70 years old and technology still makes them queasy. It's a control thing and many people feel an overall sense of loss of control, that any opportunity to have it is taken.

The other is likely an ego thing. There are just those folks that feel grander when handing someone cash. Nothing wrong with that, but that desire to be the cash giver probably has nothing to do with age....more where they are in their community, status in family, and of course, family history. I bet these folks rarely leave the envelope in room, etc., because that would defeat the purpose and they would be robbed of the feeling THEY get when giving tips (yes, this action is about the way it makes THEM feel and has little or nothing to do with the server).

Or why else would someone bother (if they really are going to GIVE JUST AS MUCH)? It doesn't make any sense. There is always emotions tied to what people do and the act of handing cash....person to person.....is filled with lots of various emotions--the good, the bad and the ugly.

It doesn't have to make sense to you.You worrying about what other people do, doesn't make sense to other people.:)

Edited by caribbean sailor

So what are your though on compulsory pre paid gratuities for MTD being a "Suggestion" but must be paid? and RCI calling gratuities "A service charge" in Australian T&C,s?:)

By voluntarily selecting MTD, a passenger agrees to pay for services rendered in advance and irrespective of the quality of services rendered. It is thus a service charge and not really a gratuity despite the cruise lines calling it such. To me, the cruise line can call it what it wishes but that does not change what it is. I also believe that there are valid arguments for both sides of the issue and thus these boards beat the subject over and over.

I have never been given envelopes on US cruises Carnival or RCI so not such an anomaly except your closed thoughts on the issuing of envelopes which is now a thing of the past:)

There are two envelopes placed on my bed on the last evening on EVERY SINGLE CRUISE. More are available at Guest Services.

They look like this:

Scan0001_zps0e61c46b.jpg

Edited by Merion_Mom

You never write a check? Ever? I ordered 250 checks 5 years ago and am only through the first 100, but sometimes you have to. And I'm well under 70.:p

But to your other point, I'm guessing (pure speculation) that the majority of those who remove the auto-tip but still pay the full amount think that they have somehow provided an incentive to their stateroom attendant or waitstaff to do a better job. I think that, if anything, the reverse would be true, but I don't see any difference in service whether we prepay or not.