Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

Why not?

Because every cruise line in the business since the mid-1960's (at least) have consider the tips/gratuities/service charge about 95% of the service staff's wages. Why not just consider it part of the cost of cruising like the rest of us?

Edited by pcur

Because every cruise line in the business since the mid-1960's (at least) have consider the tips/gratuities/service charge about 95% of the service staff's wages. Why not just consider it part of the cost of cruising like the rest of us?

I like to know what the cost is of a service, rather than have it hiked up as you go through the booking stages. Is it a tax avoidance thing? I know I am not alone with this thought. The numbers of people removing the auto added fees just proves this.

One ouch incident. Spa treatments were advertised as "Only $xx" with small print stating that 18% would be added to the final bill. !!! Why not price it right to start with?

I don't understand the logic myself, but that's Royal's rule.

thanks clarea, can I change to MDR dining when I get on the ship and then get them reversed? It doesnt make a lot of sense why one dining preferance is differant than the other regarding tips?

like the rest of us? why follow like lemmings and not ask legitmate questions

Excuse me, but I WAS asking a legitimate question. I've been on CruiseCritic for 12 years, and the vast majority of people posting here consider the tips/gratuities/service charges part of their cruise cost.

Also, I do NOT like to be referred to as a rodent.

You might want to read up on the board etiquette policies, or someone might be ringing that little red triangle in the upper right hand corner of each posting when you make statements like the one above.

Edited by pcur

I like to know what the cost is of a service, rather than have it hiked up as you go through the booking stages. Is it a tax avoidance thing? I know I am not alone with this thought. The numbers of people removing the auto added fees just proves this.

One ouch incident. Spa treatments were advertised as "Only $xx" with small print stating that 18% would be added to the final bill. !!! Why not price it right to start with?

How many people do this?

We are doing MTD for the first time and the Gratuities are part of our Cruise price. On our Invoice, it shows Cruise price PP, Govt Fees & Taxes, Gratuities and Insurance. We either pay at the beginning or the end. In doing Main dining we see the daily gratuity on our Sea Pass Acct

Edited by Desert Cruizers

How many people do this?

Is there a poll that could be started to find out.

I was queuing to query why a mini bar item was added when I had not taken any thing from it, three people ahead of me were removing the auto added gratuities to their daily bill that they never knew about. Found that I was being charged for taking 2 Evian bottles from the fridge which I had not of course, tap water is just fine and saves the waves from the plastic.

I was queuing to query why a mini bar item was added when I had not taken any thing from it, three people ahead of me were removing the auto added gratuities to their daily bill that they never knew about. Found that I was being charged for taking 2 Evian bottles from the fridge which I had not of course, tap water is just fine and saves the waves from the plastic.

Remember where you are asking this question. You are asking it to a community of people obsessed with cruising. That's not a bad thing of course, because I am here too, but the majority of people here are traditionalists and enjoy the tradition of cruising. They wish to feel like they "belong" on the high seas and seem to be in agreement with the paltry salaries the cruiselines pay their employees, because they can feel important by topping up the poor pay with tips.

Don't for one minute believe that you must pay these gratuities. The cruiselines have set this program in place to make the fares seem cheaper and to put the emphasis on fair salaries on the cruiser via hidden fees applied after the cruise is priced out. If we all stopped this ridiculous charade, employees would leave and the cruiselines would be forced to implement honest pricing and fair salaries in short order, improving the entire industry. But no, you're a cheapo because you cancel the tips and give out to those you feel deserve it and the problem perpetuates.

Cruise Critic members make up less than 1% of cruisers, probably something far less than 1%. The opinions heard here are those of an exclusive club.

thanks clarea, can I change to MDR dining when I get on the ship and then get them reversed? It doesnt make a lot of sense why one dining preferance is differant than the other regarding tips?

Possibly, if they have room in traditional dining, but I'm still not sure you can remove or reduce prepaid tips.

thanks clarea, can I change to MDR dining when I get on the ship and then get them reversed?

I was originally assigned Select/My Time/Any time dining and had prepaid tips. When I got onboard I was able to be switched to traditional as there was room in late dining; and there was no "reversal". I assume that would have to be given as an OBC and that's probably not happening. Perhaps I misunderstood the question.

Remember where you are asking this question. You are asking it to a community of people obsessed with cruising. That's not a bad thing of course, because I am here too, but the majority of people here are traditionalists and enjoy the tradition of cruising. They wish to feel like they "belong" on the high seas and seem to be in agreement with the paltry salaries the cruiselines pay their employees, because they can feel important by topping up the poor pay with tips.

Don't for one minute believe that you must pay these gratuities. The cruiselines have set this program in place to make the fares seem cheaper and to put the emphasis on fair salaries on the cruiser via hidden fees applied after the cruise is priced out. If we all stopped this ridiculous charade, employees would leave and the cruiselines would be forced to implement honest pricing and fair salaries in short order, improving the entire industry. But no, you're a cheapo because you cancel the tips and give out to those you feel deserve it and the problem perpetuates.

Cruise Critic members make up less than 1% of cruisers, probably something far less than 1%. The opinions heard here are those of an exclusive club.

Most fairminded and savvy cruisers realize there are gratuities to be added to the price, and really don't want to deny the crew their compensation just because they don't like the policies.

It's the un-fair minded who will go on a cruise and deliberately withold the gratuities.

It's a product. I buy it. This is part of the price. Period. No feelings of belonging, or superiority, or feeling important. Just paying for the cruise.

Edited by pcur

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "is there a poll that could be started". Cruise Critic provides the ability to create a poll, if that's what you are asking. Look for the poll option when you create a new thread.

Edited by time4u2go

Have you stopped to think how many cruise critic threads would result should the cruise lines adopt your suggestion? The internet would melt down.

:D Hilarious! :D

Its about removing tips for babies:rolleyes:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43078614#post43078614

Actually, babies is not the word I would use. OP's children are 3 and 10.

:D Hilarious! :D

Actually, babies is not the word I would use. OP's children are 3 and 10.

In the link I posted, the OP referred to having to pay 12$ a day for babies , I have no idea how old they are

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43078614#post43078614---from post above

Edited by setsail

Possibly, if they have room in traditional dining, but I'm still not sure you can remove or reduce prepaid tips.

Found this on the website, although that does not mean that it is accurate.

Gratuities

Print This Page

Q:* Is there a deadline to modify or remove my prepaid or automatic gratuities?

A:* Any modifications or adjustments to your gratuities are required to be requested before you depart your cruise.

Thank you so much for this reply.

The same is not only in the cruise industry alas, most "service" industries are becoming this way where "tips" are deemed to be the wages.

Because it is unfair and the fact that you believe it is does mean it is.

Not sure how you calculate the percentages, do you know the base salaries of the staff.

Seven seas, Swan Hellenic and Royal Caribbean are advertising in the Blue Horizons November 2014 brochure to fully include these gratuities in their base price.

Royal Caribbean must be aware of the issue it poses in imposing gratuities as is has been having an offer where these are included along with the overpriced drinks packages.

Excuse me, but I WAS asking a legitimate question. I've been on CruiseCritic for 12 years, and the vast majority of people posting here consider the tips/gratuities/service charges part of their cruise cost.

Also, I do NOT like to be referred to as a rodent.

You might want to read up on the board etiquette policies, or someone might be ringing that little red triangle in the upper right hand corner of each posting when you make statements like the one above.

I also have been on cruise critic for more years than that but don'y have the 5000 posts status.

Nothing was flaming at all, simply a conversation, so there will be no red flags, good day!!

We prepaid tips last year and went with MTD however for this years transatlantic I will be removing my tips at guest services and paying in cash. My reason for this is simple our waitress last year only got an extra $50 when for us she was outstanding and I would have distributed my tips differently however with only $200 extra for tipping on top of our auto tips by the last night this was down to $50 so this year I will remove and distribute as I see fit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We prepaid tips last year and went with MTD however for this years transatlantic I will be removing my tips at guest services and paying in cash. My reason for this is simple our waitress last year only got an extra $50 when for us she was outstanding and I would have distributed my tips differently however with only $200 extra for tipping on top of our auto tips by the last night this was down to $50 so this year I will remove and distribute as I see fit

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I'm glad you thought your waitress was outstanding, but if you intend to 'redistribute' then it begs the question who are you going to remove them from? Who did you think gave service that was poor such that you wouldn't want to give them the suggested gratuity?