Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

I am throwing this fact into the mixing bowl of gratuity discussion:

I just paid off my Quantum cruise.

As we all know, there is no "traditional" dining on QOS. I expected that they would put gratuities on my bill.

Nope.

So I am thinking that they have finally figured out that they don't have to charge in advance anymore, since they add the charge daily to your SeaPass account.

:)

By voluntarily selecting MTD...

I have never voluntarily selected MTD. I have always requested late seating, have never been accommodated (last 5 cruises). Some of them were booked more than a year in advance.

I like what MM had to say in the post above mine that it seems RCI will just be adding to onboard spending accounts, which at least is treating guests all the same and equally.

You never write a check? Ever? I ordered 250 checks 5 years ago and am only through the first 100, but sometimes you have to. And I'm well under 70.:p

Haven't written out a check since I can't remember when. I work with a bunch of 20-30 year olds. Not a single one of them has ever ordered a box of checks.

A couple of them told me that if they HAVE to use check, they have their bank/credit union issue for them for free.

It doesn't have to make sense to you.You worrying about what other people do, doesn't make sense to other people.:)

You are funny.

I'm not worried about what you or anyone else does....

Did you accidentally stumble on a MESSAGE BOARD that is littered with various views and opinions? Because that's what this is....

Just as helpful and/or as useless as what you added.

:/

We have only cruised three times, but the first was before the automatic gratuities were in place. What a hassle to divide up the slips, track everyone down and get them their gratuity.

The second and third cruise, we paid the auto gratuity and then tipped an extra $100 between the steward, head waiter, waiter and assistant waiter. I also tipped on bar purchases throughout the weekend.

Even though some of the people listed in the auto gratuity are behind the scenes, what they do is integral to having a wonderful cruise vacation.

As we all know, there is no "traditional" dining on QOS. I expected that they would put gratuities on my bill.

Nope.

So I am thinking that they have finally figured out that they don't have to charge in advance anymore, since they add the charge daily to your SeaPass account.

Mom,

I bet that is true. Next Time we see you on board. We enjoyed your company on the IOS TA this spring.

Don

So, do you tip? Or are you just contributing to the cruise lines not paying their staff an unfair wage?

Of course, in amounts that we believe are fair for the service provided, just like we do in a restaurant, a taxi and so on. I've never paid a server at a restaurant a tip before I see what the service is like. I just don't understand why cruise employees deserve different treatment.

The wages employees on ships are paid are part of a broken system, no doubt. Going along with the cruise lines ninja-wage-subsidies is only contributing to the problem.

On each of our last four cruises (I didn't know any better on our first cruise), I've asked the cabin steward what happens to the cash I give him if we take the auto-tips off. On one (a HAL cruise) the steward didn't seem to understand what I was asking, but on the other three (one RC, one CCL and one HAL) the stewards' eyes lit up and they laughed, each one saying they very much prefer cash.

Nope.

Thanks. Will keep that in mind for my Anthem cruise.:)

Of course, in amounts that we believe are fair for the service provided, just like we do in a restaurant, a taxi and so on. I've never paid a server at a restaurant a tip before I see what the service is like. I just don't understand why cruise employees deserve different treatment.

The wages employees on ships are paid are part of a broken system, no doubt. Going along with the cruise lines ninja-wage-subsidies is only contributing to the problem.

On each of our last four cruises (I didn't know any better on our first cruise), I've asked the cabin steward what happens to the cash I give him if we take the auto-tips off. On one (a HAL cruise) the steward didn't seem to understand what I was asking, but on the other three (one RC, one CCL and one HAL) the stewards' eyes lit up and they laughed, each one saying they very much prefer cash.

:):rolleyes:

If I want to tip extra on top of the automatic gratuities do, I need to bring my own envelopes or does the cruise provide those?

Also, do the waiters and stewards know who had auto gratuities on their account and who had them removed? So when I give waiters and steward the extra money, should I clarify that it is extra ON TOP of the auto gratuities or will they know that I kept the auto gratuities on the bill? I don't want them thinking I'm giving money because I had auto gratuities removed because the cash will not be enough without the auto gratuities.

Some posts said they get a list but others said they have no idea so I'm curious.

If I want to tip extra on top of the automatic gratuities do, I need to bring my own envelopes or does the cruise provide those?

Also, do the waiters and stewards know who had auto gratuities on their account and who had them removed? So when I give waiters and steward the extra money, should I clarify that it is extra ON TOP of the auto gratuities or will they know that I kept the auto gratuities on the bill? I don't want them thinking I'm giving money because I had auto gratuities removed because the cash will not be enough without the auto gratuities.

Some posts said they get a list but others said they have no idea so I'm curious.

They usually give a couple of envelopes, and you can get more at Guest Services.

The crewmembers know who has removed tips.

No, because we always leave the autotips in place and tip extra in cash at the end if warranted which is the best of both worlds. If I were a room steward and knew someone had removed the tips from their account (yes, they know), QUOTE]

Interesting, do you know for a fact if they know? I just booked my cruise and they added the tip in. I was told that is because I chose MTD. If I didnt do MTD would the tips not be added in until the end?

Interesting, do you know for a fact if they know? I just booked my cruise and they added the tip in. I was told that is because I chose MTD. If I didnt do MTD would the tips not be added in until the end?

I've seen the sheets that the stateroom attendants get that shows who's in each room and who has prepaid gratuities. They get new copies every day.

It became mandatory tipping when cruise lines were pressed by the IRS to report ALL income for employees,

I find it hard to believe that the cruise ships are concerned about the IRS! They are based from foriegn ports to avoid all those issues including liability and crew behavior

Royal requires prepaid tips only if you choose My Time Dining. If you choose traditional dining, tips are "automatic" now, but can be removed by visiting Guest Services.

so I can't remove them if I am signed up for MTD?? What is the diferance?

I don't mind the "auto" gratuities while we are cruising, I just mind RCI making you pre-pay the gratuities before final payment. My TA said that since first and second seatings were unavailable, we had to sign up with MTD and be waitlisted on first seating. With MTD, gratuities had to be pre-paid. A couple months later, first seating became available. I've read from other boards about this happening to others and feel this is RCI's way of making sure they get gratuities. We have always given more than the minimum, but we would rather use our OBC to pay the gratuities than have to pre-pay months before we even step on board!

I read that they are not compulsory, how can a gratuity be given with out knowing if the service was over that that is expected from the price already paid for the cruise?

I await to be heckled, but this is a genuine post.

I think the staff actually LIKES the 'autopay", as many folks forget how much they've already paid in tips...so many people will tip much more than they normally would, if they had to divy up the cash in envelopes, like in the old days!

We asked our waiters this and they preferred the envelopes.

I read that they are not compulsory, how can a gratuity be given with out knowing if the service was over that that is expected from the price already paid for the cruise?

I await to be heckled, but this is a genuine post.

Because it's called "gratuity" out of habit and tradition, but it's really a daily service charge. Eventually, they will title it correctly. The "gratuity" or "tip" is what you would add at the end of the cruise, or during each day, for exceptional service.

Because it's called "gratuity" out of habit and tradition, but it's really a daily service charge. Eventually, they will title it correctly. The "gratuity" or "tip" is what you would add at the end of the cruise, or during each day, for exceptional service.

Is not the cost of the cruise not covering the salaries of the staff that provide the service?:cool: