Removing auto gratuity and paying at end.....question

TandK0826

If you are on 1st seating your tips will NOT be included on your final payment invoice...you may want to remind your TA that you switched from MTD and make sure they are removed...

I just think it is wrong to have to pre-pay gratuities just because the first and second seatings are supposedly filled when booking several months in advance. I've read several complaints from others that this is now the norm... Perhaps RCI has to do this to make sure grats. are paid. Liked I said I don't mind them adding them to my account while I am on board and deducting them from my OBC (we don't drink and go on our own excursions). It's just a matter of principle:)

Can't wait to go on IOS in Dec. Just found out Tim Connor is going to be our CD? Anyone heard of him? Supposedly he was/is Activiites Director with Joff Eaton.

Tell us all how you know that. :)

7 years experience working on a Cruise Ship between 2 different lines ! Thats how I know that!

And the crew knows who's pre-paid their auto grat's, who has them added daily on your folio , who's removed them ,who's complained and who's complimented!

Edited by vacation_junkie

I remove the tips from my account on the first day. I tip with cash to my room steward and those who have displayed excellent service towards me. It appears that they like that its personal. I also leave great reviews as well. I say do what you feel is right for you.

Dynomite

7 years experience working on a Cruise Ship between 2 different lines ! Thats how I know that!

And the crew knows who's pre-paid their auto grat's, who has them added daily on your folio , who's removed them ,who's complained and who's complimented!

I hear this over and over the crew knows who cancel the royal money grab.You throw this around to threaten people to auto tip.Who cares that they know. My state room attendant will know because i tell them i will tip in cash.Again i don't need royal to take my money to pay the crew.They should pay them with their money.And i should tip who i want to. Tips are given not taken.And yes i will stand in line to remove this money grab,i don't see this as a problem.Some of you people act like you own the Company.Funny Goldstein does not care why should you.ALSO THE REASON YOU HAVE TO STAND IN LINE TO REMOVE THEM.THEY KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE WILL NO DO THIS. THEY TAKE WHAT THEY CAN GET.the bottom line is i will do what i want when it comes to my money.You do the same.ALSO I NEVER WORRY ABOUT MY TOOTHBRUSH. The only people stiffing the crew is Royal Caribbean.Feel free to tip as much as you like. :)

Keeping in mind that the room steward receives only a fraction of the pre-paid gratuities, but is only the most visible of the employees, you would be doing a disservice to the wait staff, kitchen help and everyone else who receives part of that pool for their work aboard the ship. It became mandatory tipping when cruise lines were pressed by the IRS to report ALL income for employees, or the line could be liable to pay income tax on the unreported tips, the same as restaurants. When you pay a certain employee a cash gratuity for exemplary service, they are technically "required" to add that to the pool of tips. Not sure at what level they do, or on ships whose brands are not headquartered on US soil, but that's what I heard from an insider when the gratuities changed from envelopes and cash to the new system.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

Common sense. Why would you go through the hassle of standing in line to remove the grats just to turn around and track down all these different people to pay them the same amount (or more)?

Huh? Because that it how it was always done. For years. We do this, every single cruise, we step foot on the ship and go right to the Pursers Desk to remove them so we can pay cash directly on the last night of the cruise. Takes literally 10-15 more minutes then auto.

I see where people think removing them means you're not paying, and I'm sure that does happen too - quite frequently - however there are probably a good amount of people like myself and my family.

Who knows - someday we might change our minds - but for now, we like to pay the crew in cash.

It became mandatory tipping when cruise lines were pressed by the IRS to report ALL income for employees, or the line could be liable to pay income tax on the unreported tips, the same as restaurants. When you pay a certain employee a cash gratuity for exemplary service, they are technically "required" to add that to the pool of tips. Not sure at what level they do, or on ships whose brands are not headquartered on US soil, but that's what I heard from an insider when the gratuities changed from envelopes and cash to the new system.

Non-US employees on ships not registered in the US, owned by holding corporations not in the US are required to report tips to the IRS? What is the source of information for this? You may well be right but I'd like to see the source to see how accurate that is. And how does that pertain for employees on ships flagged in the Bahamas and sailing in Europe or Asia?

I personally believe that the cruise line has created another revenue stream, and if they charge you months before your cruise, that is even better for their cash flow. Imagine how much money RCI makes on all those prepaid tips they hold for 3 months before distributing them?

Edited by LMaxwell

Huh? Because that it how it was always done. For years. We do this, every single cruise, we step foot on the ship and go right to the Pursers Desk to remove them so we can pay cash directly on the last night of the cruise. Takes literally 10-15 more minutes then auto.

I see where people think removing them means you're not paying, and I'm sure that does happen too - quite frequently - however there are probably a good amount of people like myself and my family.

Who knows - someday we might change our minds - but for now, we like to pay the crew in cash.

For those who do intend on tipping- I just don't see the point. Why waste the 15 minutes? You could get right on the ship, have a drink and take a selfie to post to FB instead of standing in line :cool: or you know, whatever it is that you enjoy.

I mean we "always" deposit our paychecks in the bank on Fridays.....until we didn't anymore because everyone had direct deposit!

For those who do intend on tipping- I just don't see the point. Why waste the 15 minutes? You could get right on the ship, have a drink and take a selfie to post to FB instead of standing in line :cool: or you know, whatever it is that you enjoy.

I mean we "always" deposit our paychecks in the bank on Fridays.....until we didn't anymore because everyone had direct deposit!

You have no complaints about the current automatic system and it works for you. That is fine.

Your assertions about others are based on assumptions and limited exposure to cruising. That is to say you have no factual basis for the assertions you have made. It's disingenuous for you to claim one thing but then present no facts with which to back it up.

In over 20 years of cruising I have never heard anyone's conversation at guest services or made any attempt to determine the nature of their discussion. I also have never been privy to the tipping amounts, manner, or time of dispersal of the other 1,500 - 6,000 people on the ship. I make no grand generalizations about how other people handle their business. If they want to tip 10X recommended, that is at their discretion. If they want to tip 0X recommended, that is at their discretion.

Also, I am a contract worker and consultant. I have checks mailed to me and on whatever day they happen to grace my mailbox I take them to the bank. So that was another broad generalization that applies to you, but not to all. Also, I do not drink alcohol before muster and I don't do "selfies". So much for speaking in generalities.

As long as the cruise line continues to treat guests inequitably I will be against the current system. It does not benefit the guest. I would be likely to say it does not benefit the crew / staff to the maximum amount possible. It is VERY beneficial for cash flow of the corporation though.

Edited by LMaxwell

If Royal Caribbean offers different payment methods as options, why does anyone deserve to be pilloried for selecting any of the available options?

If someone were trying to circumvent the system, that's a different story.

I fully support the crew and feel they deserve these tips. However, what I do not support is paying a company 2.5 months in advance for service, only for them to dole it out .5 to 1 month AFTER I have received the service. I also find it off putting that for my last 5 cruises Royal basically forced me into My Time Dining (the pay early part) when those in traditional dining had the ability or option to use OBC to cover gratuities.

If Royal wants to treat all guests fairly and add the auto-charge to the onboard account, I am generally supportive of that. My front door doesn't say "Bank of LMaxwell". Why should they treat me differently than other guests?

I am not mollified by paying months ahead of something so I no longer have to think about it. Frankly, I don't understand that line of thought when it purchases me exactly zero value.

So exactly how much does paying those gratuities 2.5 months in advance cost you? A dollar? Maybe? Why is that such a big deal?

So exactly how much does paying those gratuities 2.5 months in advance cost you? A dollar? Maybe? Why is that such a big deal?

It is a matter of principle. Royal does not treat its guests equally. I believe they should treat all guests equitably and subject them all to the same terms. It's really that simple.

I don't mind the "auto" gratuities while we are cruising, I just mind RCI making you pre-pay the gratuities before final payment. My TA said that since first and second seatings were unavailable, we had to sign up with MTD and be waitlisted on first seating. With MTD, gratuities had to be pre-paid. A couple months later, first seating became available. I've read from other boards about this happening to others and feel this is RCI's way of making sure they get gratuities. We have always given more than the minimum, but we would rather use our OBC to pay the gratuities than have to pre-pay months before we even step on board!

I thought unused OBC (something mythical, akin to a unicorn) was refunded at the end of the cruise as a credit to the same credit card you used to pay the pre-paid gratuities. I would be interested in hearing why this is such a big deal.

You have no complaints about the current automatic system and it works for you. That is fine.

Your assertions about others are based on assumptions and limited exposure to cruising. That is to say you have no factual basis for the assertions you have made. It's disingenuous for you to claim one thing but then present no facts with which to back it up.

In over 20 years of cruising I have never heard anyone's conversation at guest services or made any attempt to determine the nature of their discussion. I also have never been privy to the tipping amounts, manner, or time of dispersal of the other 1,500 - 6,000 people on the ship. I make no grand generalizations about how other people handle their business. If they want to tip 10X recommended, that is at their discretion. If they want to tip 0X recommended, that is at their discretion.

Also, I am a contract worker and consultant. I have checks mailed to me and on whatever day they happen to grace my mailbox I take them to the bank. So that was another broad generalization that applies to you, but not to all. Also, I do not drink alcohol before muster and I don't do "selfies". So much for speaking in generalities.

As long as the cruise line continues to treat guests inequitably I will be against the current system. It does not benefit the guest. I would be likely to say it does not benefit the crew / staff to the maximum amount possible. It is VERY beneficial for cash flow of the corporation though.

I never said that I have no complaints.

My assertions are based on my experiences and observations. I can't believe that you have NEVER heard anyone else's conversations at guest services....I've heard people screaming there business out so that everyone in the atrium at that time heard their problem. I was also on a shuttle where a woman proudly proclaimed that she removed her tips so that she would have more money to gamble with. It was before phones were as fancy as they are now or I could have recorded it and posted it on youtube so that you could have some evidence. You don't have to be trying to figure out what people are saying- it's often right in your face. I agree tipping is at each person's discretion. However, if you are going to discuss what you've decided then own it or don't discuss it (general you, not you in specific). If you're coming on here to ask Can I remove the tips because I don't want to tip? Then own that. If you're embarrassed of the fact that you intend not to tip, then don't bring it up on a public message board. IMO, it's that simple.

Since you want facts, nearly 65% of American workers receive direct deposit according to http://www.vbsfcu.org/why-direct-deposit a clear majority, which makes you in the minority. However, the real point was that as time changes so do our practices.

Obviously, the get a drink and take a selfie was a joke being that I immediately followed it up with or whatever it is that you like to do.

How does the cruise line treat guests inequitably? The tips are automatically added onto every guests account....unless you mean the people that are forced to pre-pay (with MTD). If you don't mean that, I don't know what you are talking about here.

I don't know if auto-tipping benefits crew to the MAXIMUM amount possible (and neither do you for the record) but surely, 100% of passengers tipping benefits them more than 100% minus those that remove the tips and then don't bother. For the record, I would prefer that the service charge was added right into the fare and tipping would only be reserved for those who go above and beyond.

ETA: I didn't read the rest of your posts before responding. I only read the one where you quoted me. I get the frustration with the MTD and was not talking about that. I was more addressing removing the tips and then turning around and paying the same amount to the crew. My question was why bother? Why waste precious vacation time standing in line to remove tips and then turn around and pay the same tips. If you want to tip more, you could do that without removing the autotips. Yes, RCI (and to be fair all of the other cruiselines) are getting to put the extra money in their accounts for a few weeks increasing their bottom line (probably- haven't seen direct evidence- I'm just agreeing with you) but pulling my measly $84 isn't going to change that- it's just going to waste my vacation time.

Also, I highly doubt the crew cares about receiving the tip money personally. I mean when you do a consulting job, do you care if I deposited directly at your bank or drove to your house and handed you a check. As long as you get the money, it's all good (at least for most of us).

ETA x2: OMG, I have been off work for two days and I'm so bored I'm turning into a message board crazy-person :) I need to get not sick, STAT.

Edited by rednose83

I can't believe that you have NEVER heard anyone else's conversations at guest services....

Well...I haven't. I'm just not paying that much attention to others peoples conversations

I was also on a shuttle where a woman proudly proclaimed that she removed her tips so that she would have more money to gamble with.

I believe you. And I find that behavior deplorable.

However, the real point was that as time changes so do our practices.

Fair 'nuff

How does the cruise line treat guests inequitably? The tips are automatically added onto every guests account....unless you mean the people that are forced to pre-pay (with MTD). If you don't mean that, I don't know what you are talking about here.

Yes, that is what I mean. Also, with MTD I have LESS options than traditional diners. I can not use OBC to pay gratuities. It's two different standards based on the dining time you get. I don't think it is fair. I think you grasp just what I am saying though.

I don't know if auto-tipping benefits crew to the MAXIMUM amount possible (and neither do you for the record) but surely, 100% of passengers tipping benefits them more than 100% minus those that remove the tips and then don't bother. For the record, I would prefer that the service charge was added right into the fare and tipping would only be reserved for those who go above and beyond.

You're right, I can't say for sure if the auto-tips benefit the crew to the maximum amount; however if I put cash in their hand I KNOW they have it right then and there. If it is auto-tip they have to wait until their next pay period to get their cut. That can be 2 to 4 weeks out from when they provided me service.

For the record, I do not prefer that service charges be made mandatory. I do not advocate removal of tips to subsidize gambling, drinking, upcharge dining, excursions; etc. I don't feel anyones vacation should be at the expense of hard working crew. HOWEVER for subpar service I believe the customer must still have leverage to show their displeasure. And I do not believe that one should be forced to pay for bad service. Hey, look, bad service DOES occur. And it is not always remedied onboard and not always the guests fault. Sometimes staff just aren't up to par.

If Royal offers options to guests, a guest can't be wrong for using any of those options. Royal itself can be wrong for holding guests to a double standard.

I just read on here a post about having the tips removed and paying at the end may cause not so great of service by the steward. Really??? Has anyone actually experienced that? I would feel to be the opposite honestly. Do a great job and get a wonderful tip at the end. If they do a not so great job then I would think at that point people would try to stiff them. Im wondering if anyone has actually experienced this??

Hi OP,

I always remove the auto tips and pay with cash. I just let the steward and waitstaff know up front not to worry they will get the full amount in cash if they see them removed so they are not left wondering all week. I've also given the steward the choice the first few times for us to leave them on if they prefer just to make sure they were ok with it, and every time they said that cash was better for them, but they are not supposed to say that (I stopped asking after a while and just go ahead and do it now). Never had an issue with service at all.

You only need to tell them once at the beginning of the cruise.

Not quite true as you can remove them anytime during the cruise!

Even if you are already days into your cruise you can still remove the total from start to finish if you wish.

Just another side to the coin here lol !

On my last Rccl cruise we joined a large trad dinning table (our own was empty first 3 nights) and over a 14 night cruise the other table guests were mentioning that they would leave a good tip because waitstaff were so great, this was usual to us with trad dinning anyway as we always have a table whip around last night, until we found out all the other guests on our table had removed daily autos:(

Both my wife and I decided to remove our autos on day 12 and pay in cash along with the other table guests.

I mentioned this in a post just after the cruise and was flammed:confused:

You see I felt uncomfortable with leaving autos in place and not leaving a substantial last night tip on top as other table guests were hinting would happen to the waitstaff everynight.

OK other peoples tip option should not affect me but they did! and it was a pain in the Butt splitting cash to all intended and I will never do it again.

All got their full grats from us but I would have preferred to leave them as is and tip a bit extra if I felt the need, my usual $20 last night extra may have seemed paltry if other guests had handed over much more at the table thus my pre thought embarrassment.

In the end though last night their tips were not even close to the recommended anyway:mad:

I still believe that many who remove autos for cash only do it to pay less in the end but that is entirely up to them because its none of my business how others choose to spend their money.

All Cruiselines should just add the grats into the fare price and be done with it, like its now done in Australia:)

Keeping in mind that the room steward receives only a fraction of the pre-paid gratuities, but is only the most visible of the employees, you would be doing a disservice to the wait staff, kitchen help and everyone else who receives part of that pool for their work aboard the ship. It became mandatory tipping when cruise lines were pressed by the IRS to report ALL income for employees, or the line could be liable to pay income tax on the unreported tips, the same as restaurants. When you pay a certain employee a cash gratuity for exemplary service, they are technically "required" to add that to the pool of tips. Not sure at what level they do, or on ships whose brands are not headquartered on US soil, but that's what I heard from an insider when the gratuities changed from envelopes and cash to the new system.

Sent from my H55H-3.8L using Tapatalk

Mandatory tipping? When did that start? I hadn't heard about that.

Mandatory tipping? When did that start? I hadn't heard about that.

Royal requires prepaid tips only if you choose My Time Dining. If you choose traditional dining, tips are "automatic" now, but can be removed by visiting Guest Services.