Azura Caribbean Cruise - British Airways Flight

LondonStylist

Hi cruisers,

We are doing our first fly cruise next month (sailing to Caribbean, flying back from Barbados to LGW).

having read other threads and post before we assumed that it would be a Thomas Cook or Thompson flight but we recently discovered that it's actually a BA schedule flight.

We were really pleased about this, as we love flying with BA, but it left me wondering whether it causes any problems or hassle with it not being a charter flight?

so has anyone been on a schedule flight BACK HOME after the cruise? Experience any problems or thought it was better than flying charter?

Just interested to hear others opinions and make sure I'm prepared!

Many thanks, x

We always fly scheduled and have done the BA Barbados Gatwick flight many times.

I don't for see any problems or differences as such.

You will be flying on a BA 777, the ones at LGW are old but reliable, the seating is 3-3-3 across.

Free drinks bar after take off, hot meal service with wine, then a breakfast box which is not much more than a pastry or cereal bar and a cuplet of OJ with tea or coffee.

Choice of tv/audio.

You can go to the galley at the back any time and get extra complimentary drinks.

You get a toothbrush with your headphones but if you ask they will provide an eye mask and socks.

You will probably feel a little less like cattle on BA compared to charter but on both economy is economy!

Hi cruisers,

We are doing our first fly cruise next month (sailing to Caribbean, flying back from Barbados to LGW).

having read other threads and post before we assumed that it would be a Thomas Cook or Thompson flight but we recently discovered that it's actually a BA schedule flight.

We were really pleased about this, as we love flying with BA, but it left me wondering whether it causes any problems or hassle with it not being a charter flight?

so has anyone been on a schedule flight BACK HOME after the cruise? Experience any problems or thought it was better than flying charter?

Just interested to hear others opinions and make sure I'm prepared!

Many thanks, x

Hello London Stylist Pat here from your Roll Call,why don't you have a word with Alison (holiday addict) on your Roll Call she can tell you about BA schedule she flew back last year on BA schedual flight.

mds143. Glad you managed to get booked. Not seen you visiting our Roll Call yet why not pay us a visit we would be happy to hear from you.

Pat

If you fly on a scheduled flight, do they operate the bonded luggage system for the Caribbean? It's such a joy to arrive at Barbados and go straight to the coaches for transfer to the ship and not have to reclaim your luggage. I assume charter flights will adopt this system but wonder if they can do it on scheduled ones?

Also has anyone done a Thomson charter flight from Gatwick? Can you do the day-before check-in?

Edited by kruzseeka

I'm on the same cruise, also flying back to LGW.

My information says Thomas Cook. We're flying back on Saturday (arr. Sunday).

Are you flying back on Friday afternoon or saturday?

Mike

Hi Mike,

we went for the 14 night itinerary, and are actually flying back on the Friday (8:15 pm I think).

Maybe there are more people staying on for the extra night in Barbados, therefore more flight space needed on the Saturday?

Hoping to see you at meet & greet on the 1st Nov.

Gem

There is no bonded luggage on scheduled flights due to the fact that not everyone on the flight will be going on the cruise.

You will have to go into the terminal, collect your luggage and go through immigration along with everyone else. There should be a P&O bus waiting outside the terminal.

Brian

There is no bonded luggage on scheduled flights due to the fact that not everyone on the flight will be going on the cruise.

You will have to go into the terminal, collect your luggage and go through immigration along with everyone else. There should be a P&O bus waiting outside the terminal.

Brian

I rather thought that would be the case, but thanks for the confirmation Brian.

Hi Mike,

we went for the 14 night itinerary, and are actually flying back on the Friday (8:15 pm I think).

Maybe there are more people staying on for the extra night in Barbados, therefore more flight space needed on the Saturday?

Hoping to see you at meet & greet on the 1st Nov.

Gem

Hi Gem,

I think you'll be happier on the BA flight. If I'd have known, I think I might have come back a day earlier.

Mind you, I liked the idea of spending an evening in Babados.

See you on 1st.

Mike

Mike

Having done both Thomas Cook A330 and BA 777 LGW to BVI, I concur with the above, we prefer on balance the charter flights. The BA in-flight experience is better, with free drink and a decent on-demand entertainment system, however the queue for passport control when you arrive at Grantley Adams is a pain as is having to pick up your bags to check in again on the way home. The bags are off loaded in front of your coach as you arrive for departure at the airport.

To be fair to BA their check-in process is very efficient, its just something you don't have to do on a charter. Food is about the same on all - ie motorway service station standard (just !) and bring something extra for breakfast on the way back as one tiny muffin just doesn't cut it at 4am over Cornwall.

We are flying Thomson 787 this year, so that may swing the in-flight experience, we shall see. On other thing to mention - if you are a BA executive club member you can get the points for flying BA credited to your account.