Excursions in January for Western Carribbean

bjarrett7

In looking over the excursions on the celebrity website, there seems to be a very limited number of options. Does anyone know if they will continue to add to this list? Also, I am interested in doing the Bar Hop in Cozumel. Does Celebrity ever offer this as an excursion?

And one more question about Labadee... Why can't you book a cabana until you are on the ship?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not sure if they will add more options or not. As to the Bar Hop, I do not think it is offered as a shore excursion, but you definitely can easily reserve it on your own. We did that a couple years ago and it was great. No issues at all with reserving on our own. If I remember correctly, they met us near the pier and then we walked as a group a couple of blocks to the bus. It was a fun way to spend the day for someone who is not much of a beach person. They do have a couple stops where you can swim, but there is really not all that much time at any one stop so if you are more into beaches and swimming than sightseeing and bar hopping, then this is not the tour for you (I say this just because their advertisement IMHO gives the impression there is more beach time than there is). No one in our group was a big drinker, but we had a great time anyway.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

We are doing Western Caribbean for the first time in January and I was almost disappointed looking through the shore excursions --especially because we are sailing with a couple of first time cruisers.

We are doing the America's Cup sailing in Cozumel since one of our first timers was really keen for that, but there is nothing else that really jumps out at us that says 'we would really like to do that'.:rolleyes:

I'm sure we will have a fabulous time no matter what we decide to do.

Have you looked into doing private excursions? We seldom if ever do the cruise line tours. Just research here on the ports of call boards. We've always had good luck using tour operators recommended there.

We've also used tours by some of the people standing near the dock holding signs. Some ports are easy to DIY as well.

In looking over the excursions on the celebrity website, there seems to be a very limited number of options. Does anyone know if they will continue to add to this list? Also, I am interested in doing the Bar Hop in Cozumel. Does Celebrity ever offer this as an excursion?

And one more question about Labadee... Why can't you book a cabana until you are on the ship?

Check out the ports of call section of Cruise Critic. You will find lots of information there on activities/excursions for your cruise ports.

If you got to Grand Cayman, we have done a waverunner tour out to Stingray City that is great. We booked inpendent of the cruise line. They pick you up downtown, take you to a hotel to get your waverunner. The ride out to SRC is about 25 minutes, you stay at SRC about 20 minutes, then go to a beach and/or snorkle for a hour before returning to the hotel and drive back to town. The trip from pick up to drop off back in the city is about 4 hours.

You will need to book the bar hop yourself. Just google couzemel bar hop and you'll find it. We did it a few years back and had a good time. We had to take a taxi into town to start but they dropped us off at the ship afterward.

I second the Bar Hop. We have done it twice and it's so much fun. You don't have to be a drinker to enjoy it. Seeing the other side of the island and the beautiful coastline and fun bars is great. The food is good, too , and you have time to eat lunch at one or two of the bars.

Here is the link: http://www.cozumelbarhop.com

Thanks for all of these great ideas and replies! We are sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette January 25th with ports of call in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Labadee.

I am not a big drinker but thought it would be a fun way to get around the island and taste some new things and have fun. We've been to a lot of all inclusive resorts so I am most interested in walking around and seeing new things.

I am also contemplating the trip to Tuulum. My only hang up about that is that is seems like a long ferry ride and a long bus ride.

Definitely considering the trip to sting ray city with the snorkel... How good of a swimmer to you have to be? I am a pretty good swimmer and snorkeled many times but I wouldn't say that I am in great shape :-) is it rough water?

We have cruised in January in the past

Have found in the past sometimes things get added as time goes forward (afterall these ships whonwill ve sailing this Winter in the Caribbean are still on their Summer / Fall Schedules)

Also have found that a fuller range can come online for you after Final Payment Date

So keep checking

As for info & resources for DIY Excursions:

* Your Roll Call

* Ports of Call Boards here on CC

* Official Tourism Websites (for the Country / Region / City)

* Local Tourism Websites

* CCs sister website TripAdvisor (TA). Great place to check out Ratings & Reviews... As well you can use their Forum Boards to ask questions of TA Destination Experts & Locals.

Have found some great DIY Excursions this way... And then used TA to learn more about the operation etc... Or just get tips on where to wander on our own for sightseeing, shopping, food & drink, adventure (Snorkelling, beaches) etc

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Thanks for all of these great ideas and replies! We are sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette January 25th with ports of call in Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Labadee.

I am not a big drinker but thought it would be a fun way to get around the island and taste some new things and have fun. We've been to a lot of all inclusive resorts so I am most interested in walking around and seeing new things.

I am also contemplating the trip to Tuulum. My only hang up about that is that is seems like a long ferry ride and a long bus ride.

Definitely considering the trip to sting ray city with the snorkel... How good of a swimmer to you have to be? I am a pretty good swimmer and snorkeled many times but I wouldn't say that I am in great shape :-) is it rough water?me of our favorites...Sent from my iPad using Forums

Everyone has their own likes and dislikes, but here are some of our favorites...

Cozumel - we've done the America's cup and had a great time but I think will also depend on your ship mates. We loved the tequila tasting (after the "tour" of the miniature village. We also loved the cooking class with Luis. I think you have to book that directly and not through the ship. My sister has done the Amazing Race and loved it. Also, that can't be booked through the ship.

Falmouth - we loved the Bob Sled. It was a very pleasant surprise. A leisurely ride up the mountain on a ski lift. Then a fun ride down - you control the speed. Then, you are pulled up the mountain you can take in the scenery. THEN, another ride down on the ski lift. All ages had a great time. We also did the Dunn's River Falls but everyone liked the Bob Sled better.

Tulum - not our favorite. Very hot and we didn't think the tour guides were that informative. I'm sure others had a different experience. I prefer other ruins. But, if you are really interested in the ruins, I'm sure it will be a good day.

Grand Cayman - I also think Sting Ray City is a must see! When we were there the water was crystal clear and very, very calm.

Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Falmouth, Labadee.

Falmouth, the FALLS!:eek: Got to climb em. It is NOT a DYI port!

Labadee, will be your beach day, it is RCCL/Celebrity's private beach area with the longest over water zip line in the world.

The swim with the rays will be on a sand bar in about 3-5 foot of wonderful calm water, 2 miles off the coast. You can see where the water changes to a deep, deep blue as the drop is almost 8000 ft! The boats are not allowed by law to cross the shelf.

The Bar Hop has a page on the book of faces that we can not speak of here on CC:D Not sure how much 'fun' it is if you are not a drinker and into the bar sceen.

Kepp the questions coming!

Definitely considering the trip to sting ray city with the snorkel... How good of a swimmer to you have to be? I am a pretty good swimmer and snorkeled many times but I wouldn't say that I am in great shape :-) is it rough water?

We've been to all of those islands, some several times. There is lots to do in Cozumel--beaching day, all inclusives, snorkeling trips (snorkeling isn't great there, though) etc. One of our favorites was a beach buggy tour up the island with stops to snorkel, see various sights, lunch on a secluded beach and a stop at a Tequila factory.

I love Tulum, but wouldn't do it again from Coz. Long and often very rocky ferry rides there and back. Fairly long bus ride, not that long at the ruins, and often killer hot. That ferry was almost the only time I've been really seasick.

Grand Cayman; love the stingray tour--we've done it twice, once through the ship, once privately (Captain Marvin). The latter was much better, and included snorkeling stops. That day was a little coolish and choppy, but only our little grandkids (all 5 and under) couldn't hack it. Easy for a swimming adult.

We enjoyed river tubing and climbing the fall in Jamaica, but I'm not sure if that is doable from Falmouth. There are lots of beaches and island tours as well. Just be sure to go with a reputable company--this is not an island I'd go on my own except if there are beaches very near by. We have ridden buses to a beach, though.

Labadee is a great and relaxing beach day, for us. There are tours and such, but really not needed there.

We usually don't do ship tours, so do some research on options.

Falmouth, the FALLS!:eek: Got to climb em. It is NOT a DYI port!

Labadee, will be your beach day, it is RCCL/Celebrity's private beach area with the longest over water zip line in the world.

The swim with the rays will be on a sand bar in about 3-5 foot of wonderful calm water, 2 miles off the coast. You can see where the water changes to a deep, deep blue as the drop is almost 8000 ft! The boats are not allowed by law to cross the shelf.

The Bar Hop has a page on the book of faces that we can not speak of here on CC:D Not sure how much 'fun' it is if you are not a drinker and into the bar sceen.

Kepp the questions coming!

The depth of the water at Sting Ray City varies. We were there in December once and it was waist high on me. (I am 5'7") We went back in March and it was above my nose and very difficult to maneuver around and feed the sting rays and you couldn't stand up and let them swim around you like you could When the water was only waist high.

On our last stop in Coz, we rented a car right at the port. Circumnavigated the whole island. Stopped at many beaches, even did the ruins (which we wouldn't do again). It was inexpensive, fun, easy, safe, and very scenic. I highly recommend it. Walk through the port market, you can't miss the car rental places over by the right. Major companies you will recognize. Credit card was accurately charged the exact amount promised. Waived insurance, I have a Platinum card with coverage. Took pics of the car when returned, just in case.

We'll do it again, and will consider renting on other islands, too. Thinking about this for St Kitts at xmas.

Edited by jayoldschool