UPDATE: On my Onboard booking problem with RCCL

Iamthesea

Hi, wanted to give an update on my onboard booking problem, from last month, while I was on a RCCL cruise.

Here is the link to the original thread for those that are not familiar with it:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094611[/URL]

Please don't post on that thread again. ;)

Here's a summary from that thread.
[quote]
[B][B]Currently onboard RCCL - Onboard booking for Celebrity cruise[/B] [/B]

[B]PROBLEM: Made an onboard booking for a Celebrity Cruise while on the Oasis of the Seas today. Although I was able to pick the Free Beverage Package for the - what the Loyal Future Cruise rep, Ronald called the 1-2-3 Promo, he would not give me any onboard credit for the Celebrity cruise that I booked. . I tried arguing, and finally told him that I would take it up with the Captain's Club when I returned back home in 2 days. What was the purpose of me booking onboard. Had I only wanted the Beverage package, I could have booked it before I left for this cruise. [/B][/quote]

I am sorry that this UPDATE is coming so late. We got home from the Oasis on a Monday night. Tuesday morning, (when I was suppose to call the Captain's Club) I started feeling badly. By Thursday, I was in the ER and then admitted to the hospital where I spent a couple of days. I must have had too much alcohol and caffeine :D, as I had heart arrhythmia trouble. Anyway, another out-of-town trip and a new puppy later, I finally called the CC at Celebrity. The following is what I learned.

Because I received a [B]reduce rate[/B] for a 3rd person for the 3/28/2015 Reflection cruise, ANY incentives for booking onboard are NULL!

OK, first of all I didn't know I had a special reduced rate.:rolleyes: It's the rate that came up when I checked pricing on a TA site other than Celebrity, just before sailing the Oasis. Nothing indicated that the 3rd person rate was a reduced or special price. Below is a screen shot of that rate. I have highlighted the "special rate". According to Celebrity, the rate is suppose to be $799, but the special makes it $399. It may be listed that way on Celebrity's website, but it is not on other TA websites. :(

Secondly, I have never heard that there would be restrictions against getting the future OBC while booking a cruise onboard another. We have booked many cruise while onboard. The incentive to book onboard is suppose to be a future OBC and the Evergreen promo. Again, I could have saved time on my cruise and booked while at home.

Not only is the future OBC for booking my particular cruise while onboard (a RCCL or Celebrity ship) denied, but the CC rep also said that I should not have received the PYP, 1-2-3, or Evergreen. However, the RCCL Future cruise rep had given me the Beverage Package, so the CC rep said that she would leave it on the reservation. Thank you, J! :)

Since I am receiving a better price overall, I am OK with the outcome, but disappointed that I have never heard of this rule before. CC rep says it's in fine print.

This is warning to others that may try to book a special rate while onboard...even if they do not know it. ;)

[quote name='Iamthesea']Hi, wanted to give an update on my onboard booking problem, from last month, while I was on a RCCL cruise.

Here is the link to the original thread for those that are not familiar with it:
[URL]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2094611[/URL]

Please don't post on that thread again. ;)

Here's a summary from that thread.

I am sorry that this UPDATE is coming so late. We got home from the Oasis on a Monday night. Tuesday morning, (when I was suppose to call the Captain's Club) I started feeling badly. By Thursday, I was in the ER and then admitted to the hospital where I spent a couple of days. I must have had too much alcohol and caffeine :D, as I had heart arrhythmia trouble. Anyway, another out-of-town trip and a new puppy later, I finally called the CC at Celebrity. The following is what I learned.

Because I received a [B]reduce rate[/B] for a 3rd person for the 3/28/2015 Reflection cruise, ANY incentives for booking onboard are NULL!

OK, first of all I didn't know I had a special reduced rate.:rolleyes: It's the rate that came up when I checked pricing on a TA site other than Celebrity, just before sailing the Oasis. Nothing indicated that the 3rd person rate was a reduced or special price. Below is a screen shot of that rate. I have highlighted the "special rate". According to Celebrity, the rate is suppose to be $799, but the special makes it $399. It may be listed that way on Celebrity's website, but it is not on other TA websites. :(

Secondly, I have never heard that there would be restrictions against getting the future OBC while booking a cruise onboard another. We have booked many cruise while onboard. The incentive to book onboard is suppose to be a future OBC and the Evergreen promo. Again, I could have saved time on my cruise and booked while at home.

Not only is the future OBC for booking my particular cruise while onboard (a RCCL or Celebrity ship) denied, but the CC rep also said that I should not have received the PYP, 1-2-3, or Evergreen. However, the RCCL Future cruise rep had given me the Beverage Package, so the CC rep said that she would leave it on the reservation. Thank you, J!

Since I am receiving a better price overall, I am OK with the outcome, but disappointed that I have never heard of this rule before. CC rep says it's in fine print.

This is warning to others that may try to book a special rate while onboard...even if they do not know it. ;)[/quote]

Wow! We hope you are feeling well now. DW just spent four days in the hospital after a visit to the ER with a similar problem.

Yes, it seems that every big business has "fine print" these days. Try dealing with a phone company or Cable TV company. Just a nightmare.:(

About a year ago, I was having an issue with the website not showing promotions for rates and when I requested upgrades, I was willing to pay for, I got similar responses. If they would simply mark what is standard and what is a special that would save time and effort for them and their customers.

There is a search engine that shows standard rates, but a couple of times I was told they were incorrect. As late as last month.

I am sorry it didn't work out. Congratulations on the new puppy. Glad you are feeling better.

[quote name='TomBeckCruise']Wow! We hope you are feeling well now. DW just spent four days in the hospital after a visit to the ER with a similar problem.

Yes, it seems that every big business has "fine print" these days. Try dealing with a phone company or Cable TV company. Just a nightmare.:([/quote]

Thank you. Sent you an email.

[quote name='hulamoon']About a year ago, I was having an issue with the website not showing promotions for rates and when I requested upgrades, I was willing to pay for, I got similar responses. If they would simply mark what is standard and what is a special that would save time and effort for them and their customers.

There is a search engine that shows standard rates, but a couple of times I was told they were incorrect. As late as last month.

I am sorry it didn't work out. Congratulations on the new puppy. Glad you are feeling better.[/quote]

hulamoon - Thank you, and I agree! Feeling better, but puppy wearing me out.

Thank you so much for updating on this issue. I'm so pleased as we would also have been in a similar situation: getting the 3rd and 4th reduced rates and so wouldn't be entitled to the OBC :(.

Originally, I was going to wait to book until on Indy next month, however, I'm now pleased we took the plunge and reserved ashore (btw, we did combine the drink package with the reduced rates ;)).

Sorry you were unwell after your vacation. Glad to see you have a wonderful little puppy to keep you on your toes :D.

Thanks again :).

Thank you all for well wishes. I am doing fine. :) The puppy has both helped and hindered my recovery. LOL If I can get a good nights sleep again, I will be tip-top!

[quote name='villauk']Thank you so much for updating on this issue. I'm so pleased as we would also have been in a similar situation: getting the 3rd and 4th reduced rates and so wouldn't be entitled to the OBC :(.

Originally, I was going to wait to book until on Indy next month, however, I'm now pleased we took the plunge and reserved ashore (btw, we did combine the drink package with the reduced rates ;)).

Sorry you were unwell after your vacation. Glad to see you have a wonderful little puppy to keep you on your toes :D.

Thanks again :).[/quote]

Yes, I am not sure that the CC rep gave correct information about the Beverage Package. Glad you went ahead and booked since the PYP ends on October 5th. Once you get onboard, I would ask about the booking and what you would have receive, given that your 3rd & 4th have a reduced rate. Again, I didn't even know that Celebrity had this deal going on. RCCL was running on, but never heard it about Celebrity. If the Future Sales desk tell you that you would also receive the OBC, see if you can change your reservation without penalty. I know that things are different with UK bookings. ;)

[quote name='Iamthesea']Thank you all for well wishes. I am doing fine. :) The puppy has both helped and hindered my recovery. LOL If I can get a good nights sleep again, I will be tip-top!

Yes, I am not sure that the CC rep gave correct information about the Beverage Package. Glad you went ahead and booked since the PYP ends on October 5th. Once you get onboard, I would ask about the booking and what you would have receive, given that your 3rd & 4th have a reduced rate. Again, I didn't even know that Celebrity had this deal going on. RCCL was running on, but never heard it about Celebrity. If the Future Sales desk tell you that you would also receive the OBC, see if you can change your reservation without penalty. I know that things are different with UK bookings. ;)[/QUOTE]

I will ask to see what they say, however as we use a US TA for our bookings, we should be told the same as you were (there again, this is X :rolleyes:).

[quote name='villauk']I will ask to see what they say, however as we use a US TA for our bookings, we should be told the same as you were (there again, this is X :rolleyes:).[/quote]

Please do. Have a wonderful cruise! ;)

[quote name='Algebralovr']Really interesting, since a friend got the beverage package along with FREE 3rd and 4th guest during a previous promo. Who can say what is allowed at any given time!

Congrats on the puppy and glad you are on the mend.[/quote]

Was this from an onboard booking?

[quote name='Iamthesea']Yep! :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Looks like we may have obtained the better deal as the new 123Go promo doesn't mention reduced rates for 3rd & 4th passengers. Instead, it appears that Europe cruises get 2 perks and any additional passengers get a free NA beverage package and 40 mins free Internet usage.

The extra OBC and free NA drinks packages wouldn't total anywhere near to the reduced rate savings for 3rd & 4th pax we currently have (together with our drink packages). However, if the cruise price drops significantly when the new promo begins (unlikely), then it maybe worth considering cancelling and re-booking :). I'll be checking the rates after the 5th October ;).

Where are you seeing a "new" PYP Promo? The original has been extended, and still offers the 50% reduced 3rd and 4th passengers. Nothing about the NA Beverage package for those passengers, though. We had that promo last year, along with the OBC for booking onboard. I enjoyed the NA package, while my daughters received the alcoholic package.:)

Here is the link to the PYP on Celebrity.
[URL]http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/pick-your-perk?icid=hp_bt_pckyrp_1408_spyp_lk_795230[/URL]

[quote name='Iamthesea']Where are you seeing a "new" PYP Promo? The original has been extended, and still offers the 50% reduced 3rd and 4th passengers. Nothing about the NA Beverage package for those passengers, though. We had that promo last year, along with the OBC for booking onboard. I enjoyed the NA package, while my daughters received the alcoholic package.:)

Here is the link to the PYP on Celebrity.
[URL]http://www.celebritycruises.com/htmlpage/pick-your-perk?icid=hp_bt_pckyrp_1408_spyp_lk_795230[/URL][/QUOTE]

The PYP runs until the 5th October and then the 123Go follows after that for sailings from next February (I think starting the following week until November). It's mentioned on another thread ;).

I would rather have the $1500 savings for the reduced 3rd & 4th passengers than $300 OBC and a drinks package for the kids ;).

I realise it's not really savings as they adjust their pricing accordingly, however, we would have to pay full price for all 4 of us if we wanted the extra 1 perk ($300) for sailing in Europe - I think not!

In your situation, I agree. ;)

Thank you for the information about the 1-2-3. Hadn't heard that was following in the footsteps of the PYP. It's funny...when Celebrity announced that a onboard booking would receive OBC, plus a pick of Beverage, Gratuity or [Extra] OBC, they said that this offer would not be available anymore for land bookings. That didn't last long. :rolleyes: Edited by Iamthesea