Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

You can't be in two places at once, no matter what that time travel machine salesman told me-the thing never worked and he doesn't answer his phone.

While I would have liked to have been up on deck with the crowd and a drink in hand and Andrea Bocelli blasting from the PA ( they were playing it again when I eventually did go up on deck after the video) it was necessary to stay on our balcony with no heads in our way and no babble on the video.

The little bridge in this shot shows the route we took from the Grand Canal to the Guideca.

15250843517_8007fff027_b.jpg[/url]

15250841127_3839d798ea_b.jpg

15250696750_f216a20cc3_b.jpg

15250386167_a596e0de30_b.jpg

Looking back into the mouth of the Grand Canal

15436922875_a52f75be11_b.jpg

St Mark's was teaming with people so we were glad we avoided it that morning

15436571312_174cb132c8_b.jpg

Edited by Bimmer09
add photo

We are at the point where the tug can consider letting go as there is not much to crash into if the engines fail and we should drift.

15250311568_f5dd769bcb_b.jpg[/url]

15433713311_8344e2b2b1_b.jpg

And unless I suddenly find some more Venice photos among the Flickr jumble this is our last look and the next land you'll see will be Croatia!

15250138489_926ba271d4_b.jpg

Fantastic videos and photos.

Thank you! Glad you are following along.

Next up video is MDR Formal Dinner. I'll put it up Thursday morning, followed by arrival in Dubrovnik on video.

Norris

Venice faded into the distance within the hour and we were sailing on a glassy sea without a ripple. There was no wind and all was calm.

I was thinking back to the night before when we boarded and I went up to the pool deck to have a cigarette. I got into the elevator on 6 and there were two couples in there already and everyone had a colorful cocktail in hand. They were a cheery group from Australia, full of good humor and party spirit and they told me they had already been on board for two weeks and had joined in Dover, so they were on for three weeks and each week had a different itinerary. If you were a crew member and wanted to see the World then the Ocean P would be a great ship to work on as she zig-zags all over the map. I am used to being on ships that are running the same route week after week for months on end in the Caribbean or Alaska.

It was two Australian ladies who later told me about the smoking section in the Tahitian Lounge where I shot my first video and there I was soon joined by a tall Kiwi/ New Zealander called Scotty who had just flown into Venice at 1 a.m that day to join the ship. He was taking two cruises on the Ocean with a week in between spent in the Greek Isles and then rejoining the ship on a cruise from Athens. He was on a month-long holiday. Also joining us in the lounge were a young couple from Manchester, UK who had been sailing with Princess since 1995 and with 307 days at sea would be #3 when the Most-Traveled passengers were acknowledged at the Captain's cocktail party. They were just on for one cruise, as were we.The 3 most traveled were all under 400 days but that beat our 35 to date (now 42!)

Of the 28 seats in the pool smoking section half of them were occupied by Aussies and Kiwis and the rest by Yanks and Brits. Of the people I spoke to by the pool during the week only one was a Cruise Critic reader and that was me so I had to clue them in. I was also the only one carrying a camera around.

Back on our balcony, now at sea and I don't mean on a Vaparetto, we were waiting for Afternoon Tea to arrive at 3.30. We had fixed seating dinner at 8.15 as there is no AT (Anytime dining) on this small ship with only one MDR. I discovered upon boarding that were were assigned a table for 8 and that would not do so while I was out and about after boarding I went to the Club Restaurant (MDR) and asked for a table for two for the week. Head Waiter Antonio told me he would pass my request to the Maitre d' and sure enough next morning (Sunday) there was a card saying we now had a two-top, table 15.

By 3.45 the tea for two hadn't arrived so I called Room Service to check on it.

Well the man I spoke to previously to order the tea hadn't written it down so there was no tea headed our way as requested. Doh! First the cabin 6033 debacle

then no Venice shuttle tickets (even though we weren't going to use them) then the RS steward who said I couldn't swap out spirits for beers and now or tea request going in one ear and out the other. Not off to a great start. I know these are First World problems but we are not used to so much ball-dropping on a Princess Ship. Room Service now promised to get the tea sent right up and they managed this in 15 minutes so the day was saved.

A heaping try of sandwiches cakes and scones was brought out to the balcony. A white tablecloth was laid and I tipped the young lady who set it up for us a couple of dollars for her trouble.

We have had many Afternoon tea deliveries on the Grand Class ships and all of them trumped the Ocean in a couple of important regards- on GC the hot water for the tea is in a thermal carafe so that it stays hot for cup after cup. On the OP it was a ceramic teapot losing temperature with every minute. On the GC usually a box of teas-an assortment, but on the OP just a few Lipton's bags, all breakfast tea. Then there was this bizarre sandwich. Coleslaw sandwich anyone? What a mess to eat. Never had one before-nor will again.

15250637759_c54715f969_b.jpg

In late September in the Med it gets dark around 7 p.m.

15414338596_d73cac11f1_b.jpg[/url]

Tonight, after leaving Venice, would be a Formal Night, the first of the usual two on a seven day cruise. We had packed appropriate attire so we could eat in the MDR and had also used it to attend the Opera in Venice as that was a special occasion (as any Opera is for us).

The Club Restaurant is on deck 5 aft and below our cabin but we never heard any noise from it.

The Club Restaurant has something the Grand Class ships can only dream of....a wonderfully inviting bar (the Club Bar!) which is a cosy adjunct for cocktails before dinner-how civilized is that?!! Such a classy touch and points to the style of long-defunct Renaissance Cruises who had the Ocean and seven sisters built but went bankrupt in 1999 and had to sell the ships off. Princess bought two of these beauties and I was on one!

Club Bar

15363414248_011cc8dd98_b.jpg

15525843256_29b9dfb729_b.jpg

It is against this mirrored wall that the waiters line up to greet their guests at the start of each dinner-another nice touch! The MD Oscar would be at a welcome desk greeting everyone.

15363422858_0acaecc52d_b.jpg

15363437888_4ece69aee9_b.jpg

Formal night on the Ocean Princess on our first night away from San Basilio dock and a very well-dressed crowd it was. The Club Bar was full when we walked in, a very lively pre-dinner hub. There was Antonio who had passed my request for a two-top (we like to eat quietly as opposed to bantering with fellow diners about our day) on to MD Oscar and I thanked them both. We passed the gauntlet of welcoming waiters who all greeted us with big smiles and made our way to table 15 a few rows from the entrance with a passageway behind us for waiters to get to the main body of the restaurant. We were not therefore cramped. Australians to one side (table for four) and Russians to the other (two top).

The room is beautiful as are most of the rooms on this ship.

Our waiter was Oleg from Ukraine and Guido from I think the Phillipines- I hope Carol will correct me as I wasn't keeping very good notes as my brain had "Escaped Me Completely". Oleg was a big friendly professional guy, very engaging although we can always do without a waiter's "recommendations" as we have a menu and will order what catches our eye or pleases our palate but some of his recommendations were favorites anyway so I was always gracious in ordering the "based on your recommendation" and few dishes during the following 5 days failed to please-once we had seasoned them as they were lacking when they hit the table.

We do realize that when cooking for upwards of 600 people you have to dial back the salt and pepper so as not to offend, but many foods need a lift in the cooking process by the judicious use of salt.

As you heard in the Sterling Steakhouse video I was offered a flight of salts (LOL) and chose the Himalayan Pink but good old table salt does the job nicely.

I am attaching a video of our first MDR experience. In it, one of the few ship's photographers makes his appearance as he worked the room. He was a fun guy that we met many times and bantered with. He was from Ukraine I think as were several of the waiters (male and female) Carol bought I think all of the pro photos that he took of us or was a part in (he was a great ham actor too as you'll see in Sorrento)

We had a show to attend in the Cabaret Lounge (forward) at 10.15. Carol and another of the early posters on this thread thought the service slow but we had no trouble making the show and I like relaxed-pace dinners.

My bottle of Oberon ($40 before gratuity of 15%) was summoned from the Steakhouse and I ordered a bottle of Estancia Pinot Grigio to have as well for the appetizer or pasta courses ($38 plus gratuity). Carol took a glass of this as well, even though she is not a drinker of alcohol per se.

For dessert you'll see Carol with a Bananas Foster flambé -we questioned this flambé description and readers of my Caribbean Princess review will remember I had the BF of the gods at Perry's Steakhouse (drooling at the mention of Perry's) in Houston. There they could flame the bananas at the table as the Fire Station was just a few minutes away but on a ship...well you can't have an open flame, especially as the ceiling is so low. So call it bananas in syrup without flame.

Carol wasn't impressed as she had a bite of mine in Perry's.

Here's the video...

Norris

Here are the dishes I had on Formal Night #1

French Onion Soup which is heavy on the cheese

15365227638_4490a2faef_b.jpg[/url]

Farfalle pasta stuffed with veal with mushrooms and peas in a rich sauce

14930617934_5987b5568a_b.jpg

A succulent beef tenderloin.

15552215962_2575742f56_b.jpg

And Carol's Bananas Foster. Sambuca and espresso for me.

15364750929_b566d97887_b.jpg

We went to the 10.15 show in the Cabaret Lounge as there is no tiered Princess Theater on this small ship. The room has two levels but the difference between one level and the other is less than a foot. It was a singing and dancing show with 6 dancers and two good singers-a husband a wife team from L.A.

I was thinking that the music would be taped but no-there was a live pianist on a grand piano on the dance floor and when the show started and the curtain opened there was a guitar trio also with live drums and bass. Some horn arrangements were on tape to augment the sound. Really good punchy band.

The dancers and singers are close and intimate and if you have any doubts about being entertained on a small ship lacking in stage technology and scale-don't worry, the enthusiasm and skill of all involved makes for a good show.

Cruise Director Peter Roberts (who doesn't hide in his cabin) did the MC honors. He has a high voice and is a very clear speaker. He is witty too so likable right off the bat. He leads a small but talented Cruise Staff. The front rows were occupied by a party of Asians, mainly ladies who knew the songs which were 50's and 60's hits. We were very impressed by the show and it capped off the night perfectly.

We were heading for Dubrovnik, due to arrive at 8 a.m and we had an excursion booked from 10.45 to 4.45. Originally I thought that walking the city walls was a must-do but then we thought about all the climbing amongst a crowd ( 4 ships in port and two of them Grand Class size) in warm weather so we chose from the listed Princess excursions months before we left home and reviewed them a week before flying got make sure we were happy with our choices.

We chose a tour that included some gardens by the sea followed by a boat ride from the town of Ston which is famous for it's oysters. We would eat oysters pulled from the sea and then once back on shore would be dining on a seafood meal with wine in a harbor side restaurant. It sounded like interesting fun. All for $100 each. Ka-ching!

That's the sort of crap (LOL) you have to look forward to each day on a cruise.

Heads hit pillows and sleep followed immediately.

Fantastic review. Were cruising Europe on CB for our very first Princess Cruise. I'm learning so much about Princess from your review, keep up the good work.

Smeck, welcome and pull up a chair. I am not working from notes at the minute (or at all so far) but trying to include as many Princess facts as I can along the way to help people unfamiliar with the brand and in this case-the ship which doesn't get a lot of attention even though it warrants it. 5 times more people can sail on a Super Grand Class ship so I understand the ratio of reviews and questions re those big ships.

I had to find out for myself-and Carol would agree- small is beautiful.

Norris

Norris,

Not to get off topic but I noticed London as part of your signature. We'll be spending three days in London prior to our cruise. Any tips would be appreciated.

Smeck I lived and worked there for a total of 13 years and of course it is one of the great cities of the world.

My tip would be to watch any of the Rick Steve's videos on London. It is vast and there are so many treasures there. If you are into museums you will overdose-the Natural History Museum in Kensington was always my favorite. Art galleries up the Wazoo. It's simply over-endowed with worthwhile things to see and experience. A boat ride up the Thames most definitely. Lazing around by the water in Hyde Park is a good respite from running around trying to see it all-which is impossible in 3 days. It is a magical (but expensive) ethnically rich melting pot. It's definitely the World Capital of Indian food which is one reason I put on weight there.

I used to know it like the back of my hand (but it's not hairy) as I drove so much there (which is hairy if you are used to driving on the right). In fact I learned to drive there in a baptism of fire with my Indian instructor howling with glee at the maelstrom he dropped me into. It made a man and a good driver out of me!

Go with Rick Steve's as your guide and scale back how much you need to see- you will want to go back for more. Pace yourself and savor this amazing city.

I could talk forever about it but now is not the place or time.

Norris

I agree with you that the Ocean is a small prize.....I was on her in Asia for 3 weeks and fell in love with her....I wish that she was not up for sale, but if she sells, and I am sure she will, I will try her out again....The library is amazing...and the chef's dinner that I had with that chef.....whose name I forget, but I believe he was an Aussie, was the best I have ever had.....I love, love love that ship....and your review and your pictures/videos also. Thank you.

I agree with you that the Ocean is a small prize.....I was on her in Asia for 3 weeks and fell in love with her....I wish that she was not up for sale, but if she sells, and I am sure she will, I will try her out again....The library is amazing...and the chef's dinner that I had with that chef.....whose name I forget, but I believe he was an Aussie, was the best I have ever had.....I love, love love that ship....and your review and your pictures/videos also. Thank you.

LH welcome aboard and I am glad to read your kind words about me and the ship. Yes, the beauty of this little ship will become apparent as this journal winds it's way from port to port. The ship is a wonderful place to call home for a week or more.

I have many photos and videos to share which show her at her best but everything will be revealed slowly as there is just so much to show.

I am seeing many of the videos for the first time- and Carol is seeing them all for the first time so it's a voyage of discovery for her as much as you. I held the camera so it all comes flooding back to me in an "I can't believe we were there" wave.

The next one will follow shortly as we sail into Dubrovnik....

Norris

We were very excited to sail this cruise as every port was new to us and first up was a gem of the Adriatic-Dubrovnik.

Here is a video I shot during the approach.

Enjoy!

Norris (photos will follow)

Fresh invigorating sea air welcomed me as I went through the buffet to the open air terrace over the stern. That's where they keep the tea and coffee in the morning. I had stopped at the coffee bar near the entrance to the Panorama Buffet but the one server there was working in a multiple order and so I put my coffee card away ($33 purchased in the Steakhouse on boarding night)

You may have to get in line out here as the waiters are also getting coffee for seated passengers enjoying breakfast al fresco.

Coffee syrup with some cream and sugar will do as I make my way back through the buffet to the open deck around the pool.

15556265235_b63170cdd2_b.jpg[/url]

13 times around the walking/running track equals 1 mile.

15556219675_679d5d61a3_b.jpg

Deck 11 is listed in the aft elevators but you can't get there. It is the deck above the library where the satellite domes are. There are loungers there but they are for the crew.

15556227335_989d490520_b.jpg

The games people play:shuffleboard forward on starboard side

14935461524_0153c60274_b.jpg

Golf driving net port side forward

15557108272_f173face78_b.jpg

15370589270_9e72b4b8ef_b.jpg

Hi Bim,

Pleased to hear that you enjoyed Da Raffaele as much as we did about 10 yrs ago.

Ira

Ira I read many conflicting reviews and that concerned Carol but I was so looking forward to that location-if anywhere screams Venice at you it's a place where you are eating pasta outdoors with good Italian wine and singing gondoliers sail by.

As it turned out-although very expensive by U.S standards (but that's Venice) the food was very satisfying indeed. Plates were licked clean.

Norris

• Like 1

Hi Norris,

You've got a good touch with trip reports.

My Lady Wife and I are greatly enjoying this one.

We shall be sailing another of the R ships, The Insignia, soon, and The Pacific Princess next year.

Ira

Land ahoy on the approach to Dubrovnik. The Captain said weather forecasted rain but we hoped for the best for our excursion to Trsteno and then Ston.

15533239096_3a7ab27c07_b.jpg[/url]

15554270911_80b1dd3298_b.jpg

We love mountains...

14936776163_c13bff5018_b.jpg

Somali pirates way off course apparently

14936191384_efa32fe0cc_b.jpg

15370327789_cb51c35954_b.jpg

15370816788_37a76b7553_b.jpg

Hi Norris,

You've got a good touch with trip reports.

My Lady Wife and I are greatly enjoying this one.

We shall be sailing another of the R ships, The Insignia, soon, and The Pacific Princess next year.

Ira

I am glad that you and your wife are onboard for this epic voyage of discovery.

Thanks for the encouragement to keep going-when I look at all the "stuff" I have to share it is a wee bit daunting.

The difference between this trip report and my others is that normally on the day we fly home we watch the video I took but this time it wasn't possible and we still haven't found the time to sit down for 4 plus hours so I am only seeing it about an hour before it appears on youtube, as I make a storyboard on IMovie-which is a program which has a lot of spinning beach ball (for Mac users) which is the equivalent of the PC's hourglass. There is a lot of waiting involved and I may have sworn once or twice.

The important thing is that this, I admit very personal, story is up for all to see and to give an idea of what you can expect on The Ocean Princess and the excursions in the countries we visited.

We both loved the size of the R Class.

Norris

Dubrovnik. I thought we would sail under this great bridge but we docked just before it.

15371322070_a53c9e23de_b.jpg[/url]

Other ships already in port and I thought two of them were Princess Grand Class but they were P & O (Ventura and Azura if memory serves) ships by the same designer.

So likely 7,000 or more people visiting (not counting crew)

15554276641_4976d23030_b.jpg

15554277461_73f891a0f5_b.jpg

15371325160_d9312c96fa_b.jpg

An old-school cruise ship tied up nearby

15370820518_c02a70a951_b.jpg

The view from our balcony

14936783073_37ab50bdac_b.jpg