Car Rentals at Ports (Livorno/Civitavecchia)

seaofwonder

Hi all

We're thinking of trying something new and renting cars at several ports. We feel much more comfortable getting around Europe now and we've been to rome and Florence and want something new.

Looking for advice on where to rent cars at Livorno and Civitavecchia. My husband can't walk long distances, so an agency close by is important.

Also, if you could share some ball park day rental prices, that would be great. I know they can vary widely, but I'm just trying to get an idea.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are renting from Sifracar.com at the port of Livirno. They are the local Hertz dealer & they allow you to pick up & drop off at the port.

Our cost for a mini van for 7 is 160€ and a smaller car for 5 is 90€.

We rented two for our group of 10 doing a DIY trip to Cinque Terre.

We are dividing the total for both equally among the 10 of us & will be splitting gas, tolls & parking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a great experience with Sifracar at Livorno in May. I only drive an automatic, and they supplied one for us about 70 yards from our ship. Not cheap, but so convenient. Be sure to get a GPS. We had a lovely day driving through Tuscany to and from fascinating Volterra.

We were very fortunate because it turned out there was a one-day train strike that day, and the agent could have rented our car dozens of times before we arrived to pick it up.

I never have rented from Civitavecchia because I have been unable to locate an automatic there. If anyone has, please let me know!

In the past there has been car rental right on the pier at Livorno. Don't know if they do that anymore.

A brief search will find lots of info on car rentals in Civi.

I've done a search and there wasn't too much recent info.

I've done a search and there wasn't too much recent info.

Hmmm....in just a minute I found:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2093266&highlight=civitavecchia+rental+cars (August 2014)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2091584&highlight=civitavecchia+rental+cars (August 2014)

Yup. Read both of those (as well as about 4-5 others before I posted). Both provide a suggestion of a company, but no actual experiences of anyone using said company in the last couple of months. There is apparently construction at the port and all reported experiences are pre-construction.

I'm quite familiar with how the search function works. I am looking for recommendations based on recent experiences at this port.

Edited by seaofwonder

Just returned from the Med where we rented cars in both Livorno and Civitavecchia. Avis and Hertz both had booths on the pier in Livorno. We rented a Fiat500 from Fabio at the Avis booth for 90euro which included a gps with preloaded destinations which was great. Drove to Lucca and then Volterra spending a couple of hours at each and made it back to the pier 1.5 hours too soon.

We reserved a car from Hertz in Civi b4 we left. The Hertz agency is beside the train station which is about a 20 minute walk from the new shuttle drop off point. The avis/budget agency is across the street from the drop off point.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Just returned from the Med where we rented cars in both Livorno and Civitavecchia. Avis and Hertz both had booths on the pier in Livorno. We rented a Fiat500 from Fabio at the Avis booth for 90euro which included a gps with preloaded destinations which was great. Drove to Lucca and then Volterra spending a couple of hours at each and made it back to the pier 1.5 hours too soon.

We reserved a car from Hertz in Civi b4 we left. The Hertz agency is beside the train station which is about a 20 minute walk from the new shuttle drop off point. The avis/budget agency is across the street from the drop off point.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Thank you so much ken! This is great information!

I will be looking for avis/budget for civi as my hubby can't walk far.

Did you reserve in advance or just on the day of arrival in Livorno?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by seaofwonder

The price is a bit steep but we paid the same 5 yrs ago and that didn't include a gps. We reserved the civi car in advance thru expedia, no cancellation fee and did not have to pay until we picked up the car. Our cost was $125 for a small car, manual transmission, but not sure what the avis/budget price was. When we picked up the car we actually got a 4dr car with an auto transmission for the same price, don't really know why but the agent said it worked better for him.

Driving in Italy is pretty easy, just remember to use you signal lights and stay out of the passing lane except to pass. Harder finding a place to park than anything else.

I think the price is high because it is only a 1 day rental, I have rented cars in Italy for as little as 300 a week but have never found a good 1 day rate. Maybe try to find another couple to share?

Got off the ship and rented in Livorno, no advance booking. Wanted to make sure I got a car so I got off the ship as soon as I could ,rented the car and then returned to the ship to prepare for the day. Still made it to Lucca b4 9:30. The gps helped A LOT

Edited by flyingboy
include more

In Civi, there's a EUROPCAR rental station 50 metres next to the new complimentary shuttle-bus station (VIA TARQUINIA 19/27) where all the cruisers will be brought out of the harbour.

We took a car there mid-september - very friendly staff - 100 % recommendation from my side.

I think the price is high because it is only a 1 day rental, I have rented cars in Italy for as little as 300 a week but have never found a good 1 day rate.

Well the first car broker I checked, the cheapest car was from Avis, £46 per day (€58, $78) for a one day hire of a Peugeot 107 in Livorno, including a zero excess.

Obviously the car hire companies are taking advantage of people walking off the ship to book.