Hopefully "Live" Ryndam Athens to Tampa 2014

Mtn2Sea

... we went to hear Adagio, but they went on break before we could even find a seat. We then went to listen to Matt, but he also was going on break. The Ocean Bar was our next stop, where we were able to listen to the Neptunes for about 10 minutes before they went on break. At that point, we decided to go back to the cabin ....

This happens all too often, and I hate it when it does. All the music entertainment seems to go on break at the same time, and there's nothing to do until they come back. So, boredom sets in and people return to their cabins. No wonder HAL has a reputation for not having any night life.

Couldn't the breaks be staggered, so there's another place to go until your preferred watering hole is back to work? How often does the late show end, and people come out to hear the sounds of silence from the nearby lounge. Yes, very often. :rolleyes:

Once upon a time, a couple of decades ago, there was someone designated as a "utility musician". That person came around to fill in on piano while the main musician(s) took their breaks. It kept the crowd in the lounge, since there was something interesting going on. Very often the relief musician was at least as good as, although different from, the musician(s) who were the main attraction.

People stayed out late in those days. Give a reason for people to stay out, and yu may be surprised, HAL.

Today was a very relaxing day, which we both appreciated after all the ports of call we've recently had. Although not bad, the ship is still rolling more than usual. Although bags have been placed at the elevator doors, I haven't heard of anyone who's had a problem, although only a few people can walk a straight line for any distance at all. The Captain encouraged all the ladies to wear flat shoes to tonight's formal dinner. The show this evening was presented by two dancers who call themselves Epic Moves. Apparently, they were asked if they wanted to go forward with the show due to the ship's movement and they said yes. (The Dancing With The Stars competition this afternoon was postponed until later due to the movement on the stage.). The performers did a variety of dancing, from Spanish to Disco to Cha-Cha to the Twist. After doing some numbers from the James Bond, Dirty Dancing, and The Full Monty movies, the male dancer pulled a woman from the audience onto the stage. She did quite well, but hesitated when he started acting like he was getting ready to hold her out stretched body over his head like he had done with his partner. Here's a photo of Epic Moves.

imagejpg1_zpsf1606578.jpg

Until later.

Edited by Mtn2Sea

I tried to submit a post this morning as the ship was coming into port; however, the Photobucket site where I host my photos was down for maintenance. We took a ship excursion around the island of Madeira. But first, here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zps6ce8390c.jpg

imagejpg2_zps96b957d2.jpg

Until later.

Our excursion left the pier shortly after 8 AM, with our first stop being a small seaside village where Winston Churchill came in the 1950's to paint the scenery. Here're a few photos of the area.

imagejpg1_zps37efd801.jpg

Our next stop was at he world's second highest sea cliff. They have built an observation deck with a glass floor so you can get a sense of walking high above the beach. Here're some photos.

imagejpg2_zpsb3f25017.jpg

Our next stop was another seaside village where we could walk around or shop for about 30 minutes. We walked until we got to the local church and then started returning to the bus but got waylaid by a couple of shops. After leaving this village, the bus began climbing the mountains in order to get to the other side of the island. Here're some photos.

imagejpg3_zps59e73710.jpg

When we got to the other side of the island, we began riding along the water. We went through tunnel after tunnel. Along this road, the tunnels were built 12-14 years ago. Previously, the road was very near the water and curved around the mountainside. The first photo in the following collection shows the old narrow road.

imagejpg1_zps3a138bdf.jpg

After riding along the coast for a while, we stopped for lunch at a restaurant right at the water's edge. We had a choice of fish, chicken or pork. After finishing lunch and prior to the bus returning, DW and I walked across the street and did a little shopping. We had a few extra Euros since we didn't do the private tour in the Azores and substituted a HAL excursion in Madeira, which went on our account. Here're two photos showing the outside of the restaurant and the view from one of the tables.

imagejpg2_zpse0cf2dda.jpg

Here are a few more photos of the beautiful coastline and a couple of goats (didn't get any photos of a cat, although I saw one sleeping on a gravestone in a small cemetery).

imagejpg3_zpsf21f1a2b.jpg

Our quick view of Madeira showed us what a beautiful island it is. In a sense, it reminds me of the mountainous terrain you find in Hawaii - both the result of volcanoes. I probably saw more banana plants today than all the others that I've seen in my life. Additionally, I know I rode through more tunnels today than all the tunnels I've been through in the past. Of course, I live in Florida where there is a grand total of one tunnel in the entire state. Nevertheless, Madeira has a lot of tunnels!

After we returned from our long excursion, we chose to eat in the Lido. No performance in the showroom tonight, just a movie, so no report on that nightly ritual.

Until later.

This morning we awoke to partly cloudy skies and smooth seas. Today is the first of nine sea days we have prior to reaching Tampa. Originally, we were scheduled to have eight straight sea days but, with the substitution of Madeira for the Azores, we now have more sea days coming up. We had one sea day between Spain and Madeira, rather than the two days that had been scheduled between Spain and the Azores. Late yesterday I started feeling like I was coming down with something. By late evening some congestion grabbed hold of me. I was able to get some decent sleep and feel fairly well this morning. I've started taking some cold medication and will be taking it easy for a while. Here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zps1cfc14cb.jpg

imagejpg2_zps59ec7fec.jpg

Until later.

Just a quick checkin. I've pretty much stayed in the cabin since Madeira trying to get well. Although I'm feeling better, I still have a way to go. Last night I had the club sandwich from room service, which I know a lot of people like. I found it to be too salty, but maybe my tastebuds are off. DW has been going to various activities and is currently at a lecture on pirates. She's then scheduled to have lunch with her CC book club in the penthouse suite. Spouses were included in the invitation, but I'm trying my best not to give my malady to anyone else. My intent is to post some photos of the ship that I took earlier, but that may come in another day or two.

Until later.

Robert - hope you are feeling better. We were on this cruise with you - only our bags were a couple of those you watched in Barcelona being off-loaded! :-(

It was a great cruise and I enjoyed just now looking at your pictures - some of which were places we did not tour to - such as Volos (which was just a dirty port town if you didn't take the monastery tour). We did not overnight in Cairo - but did experience the pyramids and museum (amazing) along with all the military and non-military guns - and like you, were grateful for our armed guard watching our backs! It was a really busy itinerary, that is for sure. We saw a lot, and we learned much. Thank you for sharing with everyone the adventures we were all fortunate enough to experience.

Hope you feel all the way better very soon, Robert.

I am enjoying your posts, and especially enjoy looking at your pics. I don't always open links to pics, but yours are so worth it.

Thanks Ruth! I'm glad you've enjoyed the photos. Although I try not to take too many photos because it's quite a job to sort them our later, I've still taken over 3000 shots during this trip.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks! I'm feeling much better this morning, but unfortunately last night DW began experiencing the same symptoms I initially had. At first, I thought I was simply coming down with a cold, so I began taking an over-the-counter medication, but very quickly I knew I had something worst. Fortunately, we had gone to our doctor a couple of days prior to flying out and she asked us if we wanted an antibiotic to take with us. Although we don't have a thermometer with us, I know I developed a pretty high fever, which is now gone. Of course I don't know where I picked this up, but I wish I had not gone to the movie in the Wajang theater the other week. After we sat down, someone behind us started coughing so badly that I would have thought they would have felt too poorly to be out. Then someone sat down to my left who started coughing almost as badly. Because they weren't right next to us, we stayed for the movie. Although I don't think I picked up my bug that night due to the timing of everything, it does show a lot of sick people were out and about.

Robert - hope you are feeling better. We were on this cruise with you - only our bags were a couple of those you watched in Barcelona being off-loaded! :-(

It was a great cruise and I enjoyed just now looking at your pictures - some of which were places we did not tour to - such as Volos (which was just a dirty port town if you didn't take the monastery tour). We did not overnight in Cairo - but did experience the pyramids and museum (amazing) along with all the military and non-military guns - and like you, were grateful for our armed guard watching our backs! It was a really busy itinerary, that is for sure. We saw a lot, and we learned much. Thank you for sharing with everyone the adventures we were all fortunate enough to experience.

I agree this cruise has been amazing! Although we've been to many of the ports, we've seen different things even when we've repeated a tour. We've primarily done ship excursions (I guess we're of the age we don't want to worry about being left by the ship). We did two private tours; one was very good and one was so-so. Our third private tour was scheduled for the Azores, but was cancelled when the ship diverted to Madeira. We especially enjoyed Egypt, although I know you have to get past the gun thing and the dirtiness. As you said the museum is amazing and to see a mummy that is 5000 years old is just unbelievable.

I felt well enough this morning to actually get out and do something! Both DW and I went to the morning lecture, which was entitled Yachts of the Rich and Famous. The lecturer, Tim Calvert, presented a series of slides starting with the America's Cup in 1851. He quickly progressed in time showing the most famous boats in yachting history. We had actually seen one of the older yachts in Monaco when we were there several years ago. After showing the really nice yachts of the world, he then showed some homemade "yachts" that were quite amusing to see. He then showed slides of "mistakes" people have made with their boats, including one showing it was 1/2 price. Of course, it was only the forward half of a boat. The lecture was quite entertaining.

Here's todays's program.

imagejpg1_zpscb1af029.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsba89b257.jpg

Until later.

Last evening, I was able to go to my second event of the day! I'm definitely feeling better. The evening's performance was by comedian Jim McDonald, who is originally from Rhode Island, but now hails from California. He had a lot of funny one-liners, a few of which were a little risqué, but not too far out there. He also showed some slides. His comparative photos between HAL (very nice) and Carnival (you can imagine) were particularly funny. I'd love to see what he shows when he's on a Carnival ship in comparison to a HAL cruise.

After a nice breakfast in the dining room this morning, we attended the lecture on lighthouses. The lecture is really more a slide show than lecture, as you may imagine. Interesting how the look of lighthouses can be so different. He ended with a photo of a lighthouse in Istanbul that's been in place (at least the light part) for almost 2500 years!

The weather since we started our crossing has been absolutely wonderful. Every day has been like a nice sea day on a Caribbean cruise. The ship has minimal movement, the sun has been out, and the temperatures have been warm. You couldn't ask for anything nicer!

Here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zpsf3c55c9e.jpg

imagejpg2_zps9c60e197.jpg

Until later.

The seas this morning remain calm, so we're continuing our incredibly smooth ride across the Atlantic. I plan on reading a book until lunch, when many of the roll call members will be getting together to share stories, followed by a cabin crawl. This will be my first experience at walking around the ship looking at various cabins. The announcement at the roll call meeting indicated we'll see everything from an inside cabin to the penthouse. Our event was originally scheduled for yesterday, but was move to today because of a conflict with the Mariners Luncheon. Although we didn't go to the luncheon, we heard from a friend that it was a little disorganized. Some people had to wait for their dessert because they were still making them up. I bet some people didn't RSVP. Here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zps2e3420be.jpg

imagejpg2_zps5e2516e6.jpg

Until later.

I have been following your blog with interest here in FL. We are sailing on Ryndam during the holidays from Tampa and are looking forward to our 1st cruise on Ryndam. Are the aft balconies on Veranda deck good choices? Pics from crawl would help.

Thanks for your very helpful info to date.

Peter

A large number of CC roll call members gathered for lunch at the dining room today prior to the cabin crawl. A total of 6 cabins were toured, ending with cabin number 001 (oh wow!). The tour was very interesting! Thanks to Susan (MaisonRose) for getting this activity going as well as the passengers who made their cabins available. Entirely too many people to take photos, so here're some photos from around the ship.

imagejpg2_zps760ccb1a.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsac3ef4bc.jpg

Until later.

I have been following your blog with interest here in FL. We are sailing on Ryndam during the holidays from Tampa and are looking forward to our 1st cruise on Ryndam. Are the aft balconies on Veranda deck good choices? Pics from crawl would help.

Thanks for your very helpful info to date.

Peter

As indicated earlier, I didn't get any photos at the cabin crawl. Last December while on the Ryndam, we were in cabin 042 on the navigation deck and were very satisfied with that cabin. We were under the Lido, which extends out from the ship. That actually provided us some shade (and some rain protection) that most of the other balconies don't have; however, shade or sun is a personal choice. Since the Lido is carpeted, we didn't get any noise. In March, we were on the Noordam in an aft cabin under the deck surrounding the seaview pool. We did get some noise when chairs were being moved around - not bad, but some people wouldn't be happy. Usually the noise occurred early morning when the crew was cleaning the deck. I would think the very aft cabins on the veranda deck on the Ryndam would have this same noise issue. Hope this helps.

Last night we went to the show presented by Bret Cave. The picture in yesterday's program proved misleading. In the photo, Cave was dressed in a conservative suit; however, when he came on stage he was dressed in a bright red suit, which fit his firecracker personality. While performing songs from Billy Joel to The Beatles, Cave demonstrated his flashy and energetic personality. At the end of the performance, he received a standing ovation.

The seas are again nice and calm this morning. Here's today's program.

imagejpg1_zps8a412e4d.jpg

imagejpg2_zps09d78ea4.jpg

Until later.

As indicated earlier, I didn't get any photos at the cabin crawl. Last December while on the Ryndam, we were in cabin 042 on the navigation deck and were very satisfied with that cabin. We were under the Lido, which extends out from the ship. That actually provided us some shade (and some rain protection) that most of the other balconies don't have; however, shade or sun is a personal choice. Since the Lido is carpeted, we didn't get any noise. In March, we were on the Noordam in an aft cabin under the deck surrounding the seaview pool. We did get some noise when chairs were being moved around - not bad, but some people wouldn't be happy. Usually the noise occurred early morning when the crew was cleaning the deck. I would think the very aft cabins on the veranda deck on the Ryndam would have this same noise issue. Hope this helps.

Thank you for the response and ship pics. We expect that the "wrap around" cabin booked will be great and the upsell fairy may hit as well as many cabins are still available.