Getaway Cell Service for Calls and Texting While on Board

kenoqueen

Can someone refresh my memory how to disconnect the data on my phone while on board the ship but still have access to texting and calls for emergencies. I have ATT and picked up minimal plans for both calls and texts. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.

I have an ill parent and would like to be able to check phone couple times a day in case of emergency.

thank you in advance.

You can call from the ship or receive calls $2.49 a minute. Best option is to text. $.50 to send free incoming. The plan you picked up will only be in effect in ports.

St Thomas is normal domestic pricing. Not roaming.

Just go to settings and turn off data roaming.

Edited by time2cruise1

If it its similar to my iPhone, then in settings turn "data off" (or "data off while roaming"). Leave voice "on while roaming". The voice functions lets you send and receive texts (SMS only) while at sea. If you get calls that you don't wish to pay for, just don't answer them or check voice mail. Otherwise, as mentioned, it's about $2.50 a minute for calls.

Can someone refresh my memory how to disconnect the data on my phone while on board the ship but still have access to texting and calls for emergencies. I have ATT and picked up minimal plans for both calls and texts. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 phone.

I have an ill parent and would like to be able to check phone couple times a day in case of emergency.

thank you in advance.

I think everyone else has answered your question so I just wanted to say have a great trip...I see you are one day out from your cruise! How exciting! That will be us in a week....we are 10 days out from our cruise but 8 days out from our vacation starting a few days earlier in Miami. I am so excited I can't stand it.

Edited by annietownsend

If it its similar to my iPhone, then in settings turn "data off" (or "data off while roaming"). Leave voice "on while roaming". The voice functions lets you send and receive texts (SMS only) while at sea. If you get calls that you don't wish to pay for, just don't answer them or check voice mail. Otherwise, as mentioned, it's about $2.50 a minute for calls.

Check with your carrier on the issue of unaswered calls while the phone is on. I was told by my provider (AT&T) that if the phone was on and I let a call go to voicemail, I would pay for that call (and the time of the message). So if they left a message for 3 minutes, I would still pay $2.50 per minute.

Dena

Check with your carrier on the issue of unaswered calls while the phone is on. I was told by my provider (AT&T) that if the phone was on and I let a call go to voicemail, I would pay for that call (and the time of the message). So if they left a message for 3 minutes, I would still pay $2.50 per minute.

Dena

That's weird that they would still charge you even thought you didn't answer the call. How would they know if the phone was on while going to voice-mail or just going to voice-mail in general. It shouldn't matter since it is being picked up by the same system. But then again I don't have AT&T and their system may be different than Verizon. Definitely check with your carrier. If you turn roaming off, no calls should be accepted even if the phone is on. All calls would be directed to voice-mail automatically.

That's weird that they would still charge you even thought you didn't answer the call. How would they know if the phone was on while going to voice-mail or just going to voice-mail in general. It shouldn't matter since it is being picked up by the same system. But then again I don't have AT&T and their system may be different than Verizon. Definitely check with your carrier. If you turn roaming off, no calls should be accepted even if the phone is on. All calls would be directed to voice-mail automatically.

You've got to have voice roaming on to send/receive texts...at least with iPhone and Verizon. Verizon confirms no charge for voice messages left...unless voice mail checked.

I think everyone else has answered your question so I just wanted to say have a great trip...I see you are one day out from your cruise! How exciting! That will be us in a week....we are 10 days out from our cruise but 8 days out from our vacation starting a few days earlier in Miami. I am so excited I can't stand it.

Thank you! I am very excited. It's one day away and I can't sleep thinking about it. Sounds like you'll be going when we are ending. Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

• 5 months later...

Thank you Roger! I have IPhone5S with T mobile "simple choice plan". Kind of simple question (pardon my stupidity). How to leave voice "on while roaming"?

Thank you Roger! I have IPhone5S with T mobile "simple choice plan". Kind of simple question (pardon my stupidity). How to leave voice "on while roaming"?

You don't have to do anything to keep voice on while roaming.

On your Samsung...pull down and click off wi-fi...then....hit the round settings button...4 lines down it says"more networks". Click that First line....turn off mobile data. You are all set... No data but open for calls and texts.

I also have elderly mom, and what I also do is call forward my calls to my daughters phone, so that she can react to any issues(medical alert button call) . Service can be spotty at sea