Does Carnival disable Internet to control bad press?

Mississippian

On all of our cruises about half the TV channels were out about half the time anyway and internet is always poor at its best. I do miss the little "newspapers" they Used to put out each day.

Edited by travler27

There were tweets from people on board, there was a reporter on board on holiday who tweeted very regularly. He even tweeted a picture of the letter given to all passengers regarding the situation.

I think people have a mistaken view of exactly what % of cruise critic members is actually on board these ships - usually very limited compared to the overall pax and many of those will not want to spend their expensive wifi minutes on cruise critic, which is quite bulky at times to load. Mediums such as twitter are far quicker and far more heavily used.

So totally agree. When you consider that there was approximately 4,000 passengers on Magic, the % of CC members onboard, on average, is minuscule. Just look at the numbers on the roll call for various cruises. I've been on several roll calls for our cruises, and the average was 35-40 people. Had I been on Magic last week, I would've gotten on the Internet to communicate with family n friends via Facebook, and to get news via Twitter, then logged off.

So totally agree. When you consider that there was approximately 4,000 passengers on Magic, the % of CC members onboard, on average, is minuscule. Just look at the numbers on the roll call for various cruises. I've been on several roll calls for our cruises, and the average was 35-40 people. Had I been on Magic last week, I would've gotten on the Internet to communicate with family n friends via Facebook, and to get news via Twitter, then logged off.

There were many reporting live on Carnival Facebook and JH Facebook. These places seem the most popular as they are read by people who actually work for the cruise line.

I was also reading yesterday a poster who relayed her experience on the ship that the communication for the most part was pretty poor, stating they were in the dark, especially when the helicopter showed up without any explanation. I can't find the post.

I was on this ship and yes they blocked the internet and the news for a period of time.

More likely that a large number of folks attempted to access the internet at the same time causing delays and slow downs. The internet access at sea is not very robust and large traffic volume bogs it down all the time.

As to the TV. They go out frequently on every cruise I've been on except for the channels that originate on board. You can always watch reruns of the "Marriage Game" but outside channels are iffy at best.

I think this is just like the rest of the Ebola hysteria. Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Yes, too many people trying to use the Internet at the same time can cause gridlock. It happens on regular cruises, too. No Ebola required.

That pictures were being sent from the ship to at least one TV station would support the Internet was not blocked.

Since it was reported a number of passengers stayed in their cabin, at least mid-cruise, they would likely be doing something. And they had to spend $200 OBC on something.

Room Service likely slowed down, too.

More likely that a large number of folks attempted to access the internet at the same time causing delays and slow downs. The internet access at sea is not very robust and large traffic volume bogs it down all the time.

As to the TV. They go out frequently on every cruise I've been on except for the channels that originate on board. You can always watch reruns of the "Marriage Game" but outside channels are iffy at best.

I think this is just like the rest of the Ebola hysteria. Making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Again, if I remember that eyewitness account correctly, internet and phone was free for a period of time, as well as free champagne and free something else for two dinners.

Realize that just because you didn't see anything on cruise critic dosent mean they were prohibited using the internet. Mutiple passageners were posting to other social media websites. The vast majority of passegners probably dont even know about cruise critic.

Realize that just because you didn't see anything on cruise critic dosent mean they were prohibited using the internet. Mutiple passageners were posting to other social media websites. The vast majority of passegners probably dont even know about cruise critic.

There actually was someone that posted here that was on the ship. I can not find it or the thread.

During the late unpleasantness on the Magic I didn't notice any posts from people actually onboard the ship, which is unusual. Does anyone know if Carnival deliberately limited Internet access.

My initial thought was "How ridiculous, Carnival would and could never disabe the internet for 'unpleasantness." But your question has now has me thinking.........:confused:

Come to think of it I can't remember if Carnival has ever showed Titanic or The Poseidon Adventure on the big screen. Hmmmmm?

Edited by DirtyDawg

We got TV news the entire time. In fact my husband thought he heard something on cnn early Thursday before the captain announced the situation. We were informed first the captain would talk then the cruise director on deck you could hear a pon drop as we strained to hear what they were saying. We also received letters in our cabins. Internet was up and only slow after the coast guard helicopter. I got on only to quickly post to my family and friends back home. The fact is we missed one port. No one I talked to on board was scared. We had an awesome time and carnival went above and beyond. We got wine one night champagne another night kids got soda and of course the well known 200 off per person and 50 percent off a future cruise. The reporters waiting for us in Galveston were searching for upset passengers. I don't think they found many.

My initial thought was "How ridiculous, Carnival would and could never disabe the internet for 'unpleasantness." But your question has now has me thinking.........:confused:

Come to think of it I can't remember if Carnival has ever showed Titanic or The Poseidon Adventure on the big screen. Hmmmmm?

LOL, actually they did. We sailed on the Liberty on a med cruise when she was their first ship to have the big screen and the first sea night guess what was the movie under the stars? Yup Titanic. Go figure.

We got TV news the entire time. In fact my husband thought he heard something on cnn early Thursday before the captain announced the situation. We were informed first the captain would talk then the cruise director on deck you could hear a pon drop as we strained to hear what they were saying. We also received letters in our cabins. Internet was up and only slow after the coast guard helicopter. I got on only to quickly post to my family and friends back home. The fact is we missed one port. No one I talked to on board was scared. We had an awesome time and carnival went above and beyond. We got wine one night champagne another night kids got soda and of course the well known 200 off per person and 50 percent off a future cruise. The reporters waiting for us in Galveston were searching for upset passengers. I don't think they found many.

Thanks for sharing your experience

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was also reading yesterday a poster who relayed her experience on the ship that the communication for the most part was pretty poor, stating they were in the dark, especially when the helicopter showed up without any explanation.

I saw the same thing. Maybe it's just me, but when security is asking you to leave the area, it's probably a better idea to just do so instead of having of stand down with the officers and asking a question. What were they afraid of, someone stealing their chair?

If you are at a school and security runs in and says you need to get out of the area for safety reasons - you going to just sit in your chair and not get up until they tell you why?

Edited by YorN

LOL, actually they did. We sailed on the Liberty on a med cruise when she was their first ship to have the big screen and the first sea night guess what was the movie under the stars? Yup Titanic. Go figure.

Cool!

I really want to see Snakes on a Plane on the flight down to my next Liberty cruise.:eek:

Exactly our experience as well.

Thanks for sharing also. I think many people were anticipating more of the situation than it was, and wanting those onboard to become hysterical, riot and cause a mutiny!!! Glad everything worked out for those onboard!!!