Will we enjoy Azamara?

Beh789149

You conveniently left out the quote to which I responded: "I can't imagine any of the "R" ships for a trans-Atlantic."

Clearly, thousands of people can, in fact, imagine it, and have enjoyed such a crossing immensely. It's one thing to say that something is not one's preference, quite another to say "I can't imagine it," as if it's something no one in his or her right mind should ever consider.

You might want to "refer back to the OP's original questions," as long as you suggested that. There's no reference to a trans-Atlantic cruise at all, with no concern whatsoever expressed over rough seas. The concern expressed was over activities on-board.

Seems to me that all that needed to be said is that an Azamara ship will very likely have fewer activities on sea days than a much larger Celebrity ship, as postings #2 through #11 helpfully did. Then came a diatribe about R ships and trans-Atlantics in #12 that, in my opinion, might scare people away unnecessarily.

Rough seas can happen anywhere, and to any ship, even, as you found, in the Med. Yet I don't think you would warn others against cruising an R ship in the Med, would you?

I did not mean to conveniently leave out any quote...I only quoted this one and it was not meant to be harsh and I'm sorry you took it that way.

I truly think all of the posters on this thread were only trying to help her with a decision. There's no need to get ruffled feathers here...no one meant any harm.

In answer to the OP's original question, IMO one of the top selling points for Azamara cruises is the very port-intensive itineraries plus the extra time allotted to time in port when compared to many other lines.

There simply are not as many things to do on a ship the size of Quest or Journey on a sea day than on many other lines. Therefore, Azamara would not be my cruise line of choice for an itinerary with a great many sea days.

Edited by CintiPam

We loved the three in a row sea days we had on our cruise to India last year. We like to party and get out and about, but we found plenty to keep us happy as well as learning to relax and enjoy our time together. We had a fabulous time.

Whatever you decide have a wonderful holiday

Edited by wangeling gal

We've been to over 70 countries and done 7 cruises with Azamara. I certainly can understand others who are more concerned with the itinerary but our perfect cruise vacation is a few new ports coupled with many sea days. Yes, we love the cruising life and greatly enjoy sitting on the rear deck of the Quest or Journey at lunch having our wine! My wife still works but we hope to do more of this when she retires. FOR US, this is the perfect vacation and find it amazing that Azamara has so many returning cruise members that over 2 dozen knew us by name on our last cruise! No, we've never had anything bumpy on a Transatlantic with them. Good luck to all!

I love sea days and 700 passenger ships (sailed TA on Regatta, Nautica, Sagafjord, Prinsendam(twice). The virtues are the personal attention and the ability to form ongoing friendships with other passengers. But for the OP- NO! Thirty something tablemates on the Century were unhappy with the --for them-- limited choices on board, and the Century is 3 times the size of the R-class ships...

I find this very intersting reading, as I am considering an Azamara cruisae as well. I have sailed Carnival 5 times, Royal twice and Celebrity once. I enjoyed the Royal and Celebrity ships much more, but felt maybe their ships might be too big to enjoy more exotic itineraries. I will continue toi check this thread for more insight as I may look to get cruising again in the late Spring.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a mention of the entertainment being more of a cabaret type style, could someone with experience on Azamara elaborate on this a little bit?

DH and I are considering a 7 day Greek Isles and Turkey cruise on Journey next summer, and have previously sailed on 2 of the Royal Freedom Class ships, as well as Celebrity Summit and Silhouette.

We are in our late 20s/early 30s, enjoy exploring ports, meeting new people, and some entertainment and a couple of drinks after dinner. However, DH hates formal night, so I thought he might like the fact that there are none on Azamara, and the idea of such a port intensive cruise appeals to us.

Maybe this will give you some idea. Some of the information is a little outdated though. We saw a number of younger people on our last cruises.

If you're looking for a port intensive cruise, I think you'd be quite happy. You won't know until you try. ;)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=409&pgtype=Activities