Taking pre purchased duty free alcohol home

Redjennalady

Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I am flying from Sydney to Auckland before doing a Celebrity Solstice cruise from NZ to Sydney next year. I plan to buy duty free alcohol at the airport either when leaving Sydney or on arrival in Auckland. I do not want to consume the alcohol onboard the cruise but want to take it home as gifts.

Can I take the duty free onboard the cruise? Is there a limit of alcohol I can take on the cruise or is it the same limit that was allowed to be purchased at Auckland. or would I be better off buying on the cruise?

Hi, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I am flying from Sydney to Auckland before doing a Celebrity Solstice cruise from NZ to Sydney next year. I plan to buy duty free alcohol at the airport either when leaving Sydney or on arrival in Auckland. I do not want to consume the alcohol onboard the cruise but want to take it home as gifts.

Can I take the duty free onboard the cruise? Is there a limit of alcohol I can take on the cruise or is it the same limit that was allowed to be purchased at Auckland. or would I be better off buying on the cruise?

When you board, tell them you have it, they will check it for you and let you have it back the final night of the cruise. If you try to smuggle it and not declare it on boarding, if they locate it during x-ray and search of luggage, they have the right to dispose of it and not return it, though sometimes they will not take such a step, but your luggage will delayed as you are called to the security room to declare the items.

You should be able to bring as much on and check it as you like, subject to customs limitations and implication of paying duties on any overages once you return to land.

The onboard shops also will meet the price of competition if you provide proof (photo perhaps of the price sign in the airport duty free?).

I've never tried to work this deal, but have seen the lowest prover guarantee signs.

Hi Just in case you hadn't thought of this you would have to pack your bottles in your luggage as you wont be allowed to take it in your hand luggage through security on your return flight. I know this stopped us bringing any home on our last trip as our luggage was already at our limit.

Enjoy

Elizabeth

Hi Just in case you hadn't thought of this you would have to pack your bottles in your luggage as you wont be allowed to take it in your hand luggage through security on your return flight. I know this stopped us bringing any home on our last trip as our luggage was already at our limit.

Enjoy

Elizabeth

Hi JEM 12

The OPs itinerary is such that they are not flying home, but rather returning to Oz from New Zealand by Cruise Ship.

They have received good info from the others on how Celebrity would handle any Duty Free alcohol they check in to the ship with (in excess to their allowed 2 Bottles of win for consumption if they choose on the ship).

But you are right, if they bought the Duty Free Alcohol in Sydney prior to flying to Aukland they would indeed need to transport on the flight.

Little known fact tho... Things in this regard has changed for many countries (in a good way)

Including here in North America :D

I offer the following quote (just in case you happen to be from the US yourself) from AirSafe.com

Returning to the United States from Overseas

On nonstop flights bound for the US, passengers carrying duty-free liquids purchased at an international airport will not have any problems.

On nonstop flights bound for the US, duty-free liquids purchased in an international airport will be permitted through the checkpoint only if they meet US requirements for the use of tamper-evident bags. Duty-free delivered to the aircraft for passenger pick-up, bought on the plane or purchased after the security checkpoint are allowed.

If you are flying to the US and have a connecting domestic flight, you will be required to reclaim your checked bags prior to passing through customs inspection, so use this opportunity to place your duty-free liquids, aerosols, and gels in your checked bags before rechecking them for your connecting flight.

[/Quote]

In case the OP could use this type of info...

AirSafe speaks briefly about other places in the world, including Australia... and how tamper-evident bags for Duty Free purchased liquids (booze, perfume, etc) can be utilized for goods in transit... See the 1st section in this link

http://www.airsafe.com/issues/security/dutyfree.htm

In addition...

Further info should also be available from your local International Airport Authority.

Hope this helps someone,

Cheers!

The carriage of liquids in the cabin of aircraft is almost only a USA thing, that's why international travelers can buy duty free and carry in-cabin free but have to check it once they arrive in the US if they are connecting and moving to another flight from their primary airport entry.

Some US based airlines do however have the prohibition on international flights originating in foreign countries traveling back to the USA based on how the airport security in the departure country is run.

So United flying London to Newark may have different rules than BritishAir flying London to Newark with regard to liquids.

I'm not sure about the rules un Australia and NZ, but its quite possible there is no prohibition if in-cabin liquids on such routes.