Cruise Ship/Maritime jobs

sparks1093

I have often thought that if I could go back in time it might have been neat to work on a cruise ship instead of serving in the US Navy (not that I disliked the Navy at all). Any way, now I have the chance to guide my sons' in their career choice and one of them is interested in a seagoing career. He has Aspergers syndrome but is very high functioning but would be disqualified for military service. So what would it take to get him employed on a cruise ship or in a different seafaring job? I have found the Paul Hall Center and their Unlicensed Apprentice Program, which on paper looks like it would provide him with the training that he needed to make the switch from land to sea, but would this help him if he decided he wanted to work on a cruise ship? Is NCLA the only option that he has for cruise ship employment? He took advanced foods classes in high school and wants to be a cook onboard ship. If anyone has any advice on how to advise him I would appreciate it.

I have often thought that if I could go back in time it might have been neat to work on a cruise ship instead of serving in the US Navy (not that I disliked the Navy at all). Any way, now I have the chance to guide my sons' in their career choice and one of them is interested in a seagoing career. He has Aspergers syndrome but is very high functioning but would be disqualified for military service. So what would it take to get him employed on a cruise ship or in a different seafaring job? I have found the Paul Hall Center and their Unlicensed Apprentice Program, which on paper looks like it would provide him with the training that he needed to make the switch from land to sea, but would this help him if he decided he wanted to work on a cruise ship? Is NCLA the only option that he has for cruise ship employment? He took advanced foods classes in high school and wants to be a cook onboard ship. If anyone has any advice on how to advise him I would appreciate it.

Hey, Sparks;

The Paul Hall Unlicensed Apprentice program is a very good way to get started in a maritime career. We routinely carry UA's (unlicensed apprentices) as extra crew. They get some classroom training, and the specialized training like firefighting and lifesaving, and are then sent out to commercial ships for 90 days of shipboard training. They will work 30 days each in the deck, engine, and stewards departments, and will have a "sea project" of written work that needs to be completed based on the ship they are on. They then return to Piney Point for further classroom work to get their endorsements in the department they choose to pursue.

A typical merchant ship's crew is about 20, with the stewards department most commonly being three people: Chief Steward, Chief Cook, and Steward Assistant.

Going to Paul Hall school, and joining the SIU would qualify him for employment on the POA, as the crew is SIU unionized. However, only the deck and engine ratings are actually SIU, the majority of the hotel department are members of the SEATU (Seafarers, Entertainers, and Associated Trades Union) which is an SIU affiliate union. Unlike international cruise ships, every crewmember on the POA must be a credentialed mariner, so everyone on the POA (except the deck/engine officers) has gone through Paul Hall school for some training. I'm not sure how membership pass through between the two is handled, but I'm sure there is some movement.

There are other, small cruise ships in the US, American Cruise Lines operates paddle steamers on the rivers and a small ship on Puget Sound and Alaska. I'm not sure if they are SIU union or not. There may be some others, I don't know if some are still in operation, or have been bought out by American.

If he gets a MMC, he could apply to the mainstream cruise lines for a job on an international ship, but even with the fact that the deck/engine jobs are far better paying jobs than the hotel staff on these ships, the pay is still significantly lower than US wages ($585/month is the minimum).

I would warn you that his Asperger's may cause some difficulty in obtaining his credentials. When you submit your application for credentials, you must have a doctor fill out a physical exam form, which includes a medical history questionnaire. This is sent to the National Maritime Center in West Virginia (why is the USCG in WV? Senator Bird), and a medical review board will review the physical report. This may require some additional documentation from you or your son's physician, and may require an appeal and an appeal hearing. I am not sure how they classify Asperger's towards "fit for duty".

You can go here, for info and links on the application process, and I think to find out things about medical issues: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Fnmc%2F&ei=H89HVKv0JsmcygSlooHACg&usg=AFQjCNFtjH6-ARu6zF8N5tGuCzpC4b9ZjA&bvm=bv.77880786,d.aWw

Good luck. If you've got any further questions, I'll help as I can.

Hey, Sparks;

The Paul Hall Unlicensed Apprentice program is a very good way to get started in a maritime career. We routinely carry UA's (unlicensed apprentices) as extra crew. They get some classroom training, and the specialized training like firefighting and lifesaving, and are then sent out to commercial ships for 90 days of shipboard training. They will work 30 days each in the deck, engine, and stewards departments, and will have a "sea project" of written work that needs to be completed based on the ship they are on. They then return to Piney Point for further classroom work to get their endorsements in the department they choose to pursue.

A typical merchant ship's crew is about 20, with the stewards department most commonly being three people: Chief Steward, Chief Cook, and Steward Assistant.

Going to Paul Hall school, and joining the SIU would qualify him for employment on the POA, as the crew is SIU unionized. However, only the deck and engine ratings are actually SIU, the majority of the hotel department are members of the SEATU (Seafarers, Entertainers, and Associated Trades Union) which is an SIU affiliate union. Unlike international cruise ships, every crewmember on the POA must be a credentialed mariner, so everyone on the POA (except the deck/engine officers) has gone through Paul Hall school for some training. I'm not sure how membership pass through between the two is handled, but I'm sure there is some movement.

There are other, small cruise ships in the US, American Cruise Lines operates paddle steamers on the rivers and a small ship on Puget Sound and Alaska. I'm not sure if they are SIU union or not. There may be some others, I don't know if some are still in operation, or have been bought out by American.

If he gets a MMC, he could apply to the mainstream cruise lines for a job on an international ship, but even with the fact that the deck/engine jobs are far better paying jobs than the hotel staff on these ships, the pay is still significantly lower than US wages ($585/month is the minimum).

I would warn you that his Asperger's may cause some difficulty in obtaining his credentials. When you submit your application for credentials, you must have a doctor fill out a physical exam form, which includes a medical history questionnaire. This is sent to the National Maritime Center in West Virginia (why is the USCG in WV? Senator Bird), and a medical review board will review the physical report. This may require some additional documentation from you or your son's physician, and may require an appeal and an appeal hearing. I am not sure how they classify Asperger's towards "fit for duty".

You can go here, for info and links on the application process, and I think to find out things about medical issues: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uscg.mil%2Fnmc%2F&ei=H89HVKv0JsmcygSlooHACg&usg=AFQjCNFtjH6-ARu6zF8N5tGuCzpC4b9ZjA&bvm=bv.77880786,d.aWw

Good luck. If you've got any further questions, I'll help as I can.

Thanks for the info. I have had the same question about whether his Aspergers would be disqualifying or not. He does take medication but is stable. The school sounds structured enough that he would probably enjoy it (he was in JROTC in high school and was the company commander when he graduated). He will have to save his money so he can pay for the uniforms, etc. at Paul Hall (plus the fees for the credentials that he would need). Since I know that he's going to ask what is the rough entry level salary should he decide to go into the merchant marine versus getting a cruise ship position?

Thanks for the info. I have had the same question about whether his Aspergers would be disqualifying or not. He does take medication but is stable. The school sounds structured enough that he would probably enjoy it (he was in JROTC in high school and was the company commander when he graduated). He will have to save his money so he can pay for the uniforms, etc. at Paul Hall (plus the fees for the credentials that he would need). Since I know that he's going to ask what is the rough entry level salary should he decide to go into the merchant marine versus getting a cruise ship position?

SIU "salaries" are difficult to figure. The guys are paid in wages and overtime. Base wage is for a 40 hour work week, but most companies require a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, so there could be 44 hours of overtime included. Then there is a vacation benefit paid, based on the base wage, for SIU it is one day's vacation pay for 2 day's onboard employment. You could probably figure on $35-40,000 annually, when you add everything up, and that is for about 8 months work (4 months paid vacation).

Edited by chengkp75

SIU "salaries" are difficult to figure. The guys are paid in wages and overtime. Base wage is for a 40 hour work week, but most companies require a 12 hour day, 7 days a week, so there could be 44 hours of overtime included. Then there is a vacation benefit paid, based on the base wage, for SIU it is one day's vacation pay for 2 day's onboard employment. You could probably figure on $35-40,000 annually, when you add everything up, and that is for about 8 months work (4 months paid vacation).

Beats minimum wage at Subway.:)

Cooking onboard a cruise ship usually requires having gone to culinary school AND having substantial experience in a large hotel or high end restaurant. This explains the requirements and also what the salaries are for each job:

http://www.cruiseshipjob.com/galley.htm

For someone starting out in the cruise industry who wants to cook, you son would want to be either Cook Trainee, Baker Trainee or Pastry Trainee depending on what type of cooking he wants to do. If he wants to become a chef or sous chef in a restaurant at some point, he would want to be the Cook trainee initially. These 3 jobs are extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Being the absolute lowest rank, your son could never say no to anyone in regards to what they tell him to do and he would be required to do it immediately, which could be anything from carrying heavy bags or boxes, to detailed cleaning to assisting with food prep. and your son would not get a lot of sleep while he was working one of these jobs. It's kind of like going through "hell week" except it goes on for at least 6 months. A lot of people give up when they are faced with this situation. Others recognize that it is an honor to learn from their superiors and tough it out and excel. Once your son got through this successfully, he could begin to move up the ladder.

As far as culinary schools go, they are all over the the US. Here is the list of the best:

http://www.edinformatics.com/culinaryarts/culinaryschools.htm

Cooking onboard a cruise ship usually requires having gone to culinary school AND having substantial experience in a large hotel or high end restaurant. This explains the requirements and also what the salaries are for each job:

For someone starting out in the cruise industry who wants to cook, you son would want to be either Cook Trainee, Baker Trainee or Pastry Trainee depending on what type of cooking he wants to do. If he wants to become a chef or sous chef in a restaurant at some point, he would want to be the Cook trainee initially. These 3 jobs are extremely demanding both physically and mentally. Being the absolute lowest rank, your son could never say no to anyone in regards to what they tell him to do and he would be required to do it immediately, which could be anything from carrying heavy bags or boxes, to detailed cleaning to assisting with food prep. and your son would not get a lot of sleep while he was working one of these jobs. It's kind of like going through "hell week" except it goes on for at least 6 months. A lot of people give up when they are faced with this situation. Others recognize that it is an honor to learn from their superiors and tough it out and excel. Once your son got through this successfully, he could begin to move up the ladder.

As far as culinary schools go, they are all over the the US. Here is the list of the best:

Thanks for the info! He knows that without culinary school that he'll have to pay his dues and work his way up.

While a culinary school degree is usually required for sous chefs and above, most cruise ship galley staff don't have them. If they are looking for promotion, they will get a few years experience at the cook positions, then go ashore to get their degree and then return to ships. The requirement for "large hotel or high end restaurant" is also not quite correct, as the wording for positions up to Demi Chef du Partie says experience in a "high volume food service facility" is acceptable. They don't get much more high volume than a cruise ship, so many learn their trade onboard.

Given a 10 month contract, and no vacation pay for the remaining two months of the year, the Demi Chef's position pays $37,000 per year, which is what an entry level SIU seafarer makes as steward assistant (cleans officers' cabins, washes dishes, takes out the trash, and cleans the galley). I know that the POA galley staff do not make what the SIU steward's department makes on a cargo ship, but it is still about 75-100% more than what that site advertises. SEATU vacation is also less than SIU, being 1 for 4, or 4 months on, 1 month paid vacation.

Any way you cut it, going to sea is a hard life, and you have to learn to accept that a "normal" family life is not possible. You will frequently be away for holidays, birthdays, graduations, births, deaths, and major or minor family emergencies. Mariner's wives are frequently compared to single parents, as the husband is away so much. Even in today's electronic society, staying in touch is difficult. Cruise ship crews have internet access, slow and at a price. Cargo ship crews generally have a "batch" internet, where e-mails are collected in mailboxes and sent via satellite maybe once a day, so there is no "instant messages".

Here is an assistant cook job on NCL Pride of America - requires culinary school:

http://www.ncl.com/about/careers/corporate-employment/job-opportunities/28759

Here's a great article about cooking on cruise ship:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/franco-lania/cooking-at-sea-employment_b_4221269.html

"Candidates for employment should possess a cooking degree from an accredited culinary school and have three to five years' cooking experience at well-established hotels and/or restaurants on land first. Those who wish to cook on a cruise ship will have to undergo thorough physical and dental examinations and will be tested for abuse of drugs and alcohol prior to hire"

Most people can only line cook to about age 40 and then their knees and backs give out and they have to go on to some other type of position.

In regards to the OP's son, I think a good way for the OP's son to find out if he is cut out for a culinary career would be for him to work in the city in which he currently resides as a trainee or kitchen helper and he should specifically try to get hired at places such as hotels that do mass catering or large steakhouses that do large parties. This type of experience will tell him if he likes this type of work or not. if he does, then he can invest in going to culinary school.

For some inspiration, here are several chef's who have Aspergers or are on the autism spectrum:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2013/03/08/gfcf-chef-tom-dickinson-gives-back-autism-community

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/18099394/aspiring-chef-struggles-with-aspergers

https://www.autismcommunity.org.au/q--a-with-matt.html

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/justice-martins-who-has-aspergers-syndrome-gains-confidence-through-culinary-degree/11360/snapshot/

Here is an assistant cook job on NCL Pride of America - requires culinary school:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/franco-lania/cooking-at-sea-employment_b_4221269.html

"Candidates for employment should possess a cooking degree from an accredited culinary school and have three to five years' cooking experience at well-established hotels and/or restaurants on land first. Those who wish to cook on a cruise ship will have to undergo thorough physical and dental examinations and will be tested for abuse of drugs and alcohol prior to hire"

Most people can only line cook to about age 40 and then their knees and backs give out and they have to go on to some other type of position.

In regards to the OP's son, I think a good way for the OP's son to find out if he is cut out for a culinary career would be for him to work in the city in which he currently resides as a trainee or kitchen helper and he should specifically try to get hired at places such as hotels that do mass catering or large steakhouses that do large parties. This type of experience will tell him if he likes this type of work or not. if he does, then he can invest in going to culinary school.

For some inspiration, here are several chef's who have Aspergers or are on the autism spectrum:

http://www.autismspeaks.org/blog/2013/03/08/gfcf-chef-tom-dickinson-gives-back-autism-community

http://www.fox10phoenix.com/story/18099394/aspiring-chef-struggles-with-aspergers

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/justice-martins-who-has-aspergers-syndrome-gains-confidence-through-culinary-degree/11360/snapshot/

I appreciate the links, but I don't see that culinary school is a requirement for Assistant Cook: Education (High School Diploma or Equivalent required• Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency preferred

Experience:

1+ year of culinary experience in high volume hot production (may be combined with formal culinary training)

He did think about culinary school but did not want to be saddled with a boat load of debt (sorry, pun intended:o).

Hate to keep raining on your parade, but the wording is: "Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency preferred". Note preferred, not required as the HS diploma is. And, as I've said, the culinary training and requirements, while nearly identical between POA crew and the international crew, are different between a cruise ship and a cargo ship.

My statements about Aspergers causing problems was not in regards to the person's ability to perform culinary tasks. It was about the USCG requirement for physical ability and medical health. If you look up an assistant cook's job on the Breakaway, there would not be the entire paragraph entitled "special requirement", which is nearly as long as the rest of the job description. And those physical requirements are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to whether the USCG deems a person fit for duty onboard a ship. As I said in an earlier post (possibly on the other thread where Sparks asked me about opportunities for his son), the USCG requires that every crew member get a Merchant Mariner's Credential, while the international crew only requires this for the deck and engine ratings.

I appreciate the links, but I don't see that culinary school is a requirement for Assistant Cook: Education (High School Diploma or Equivalent required• Culinary School 2-4 year degree or foreign equivalency preferred

Experience:

1+ year of culinary experience in high volume hot production (may be combined with formal culinary training)

He did think about culinary school but did not want to be saddled with a boat load of debt (sorry, pun intended:o).

I totally understand about the concern about debt. A lot depends on how far your son wants to go with his career. If he is happy being a line cook and will be fine with only being a line cook for his whole career, then he can probably avoid culinary school altogether. But if he really wants advancement, then he's going to have to do culinary school one way or another.

I guess the big question to ask your son is if he sees himself more as an innovator/artist who creates new recipes all the time or if he would prefer to just follow the same recipes over and over and over again and not be responsible for developing new recipes. The former is the type of person who would become a chef, the latter is the type of person who would excel at line cooking.

chengkp75 - I'm only trying to help the OP to help his son, not quarrel with you. I'm sure you have many good points.

The fact is, in our rough economy, many people have turned to culinary school as a way to get a job, even people with college educations. The competition is fierce. If an ad even mentions culinary degree, I know they mean, they WANT the applicant to have that unless the person has so much PROVEN experience in a similar work environment and job that it is indisputable that the person can handle the job.

The fact is, in our rough economy, many people have turned to culinary school as a way to get a job, even people with college educations. The competition is fierce. If an ad even mentions culinary degree, I know they mean, they WANT the applicant to have that unless the person has so much PROVEN experience in a similar work environment and job that it is indisputable that the person can handle the job.

While I agree that this is the case in shoreside employment, from what I've seen, the cruise lines are more interested in someone who is able and willing to do the hard, long hours that shipboard employment entails, and therefore are very open to promotion from within and proven shipboard experience, over classical training.

I totally understand about the concern about debt. A lot depends on how far your son wants to go with his career. If he is happy being a line cook and will be fine with only being a line cook for his whole career, then he can probably avoid culinary school altogether. But if he really wants advancement, then he's going to have to do culinary school one way or another.

I guess the big question to ask your son is if he sees himself more as an innovator/artist who creates new recipes all the time or if he would prefer to just follow the same recipes over and over and over again and not be responsible for developing new recipes. The former is the type of person who would become a chef, the latter is the type of person who would excel at line cooking.

chengkp75 - I'm only trying to help the OP to help his son, not quarrel with you. I'm sure you have many good points.

LOL, until I mentioned shipboard employment he was content with the idea of working at Subway for a long time, so I think at least near term he would be fine with being a line cook. Since DW and I thought that he'd never be able to support himself we are thrilled that he wants to work at all:D. Again, I really appreciate the info.

Edited by sparks1093

While I agree that this is the case in shoreside employment, from what I've seen, the cruise lines are more interested in someone who is able and willing to do the hard, long hours that shipboard employment entails, and therefore are very open to promotion from within and proven shipboard experience, over classical training.

Shipboard life is not for the faint of heart. Port and starboard watches for months at a time can be a drag (not sure if that is just a Navy thing).

Anyway, I was talking to the two boys who are still in high school about this topic and they are both intrigued with having a career as a seafarer. One is even thinking about working in engineering. I am off to research maritime academies now (I know about the Massachusetts Maritime Training Academy after spending a month on the TS Kennedy a couple of years ago).

Shipboard life is not for the faint of heart. Port and starboard watches for months at a time can be a drag (not sure if that is just a Navy thing).

Anyway, I was talking to the two boys who are still in high school about this topic and they are both intrigued with having a career as a seafarer. One is even thinking about working in engineering. I am off to research maritime academies now (I know about the Massachusetts Maritime Training Academy after spending a month on the TS Kennedy a couple of years ago).

Actually, one of the things that tend to amaze ex-Navy guys about merchant ships is the lack of watchstanders. The bridge watches are a mate and an able seaman, and are 4 on 8 off. The engineers are completely day workers in commercial shipping, with an unmanned engine room at night.

The state maritime schools are Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, California, and Great Lakes (Michigan). I may be somewhat prejudiced, but I think that the US Merchant Marine Academy gives a better marine education. Kings Point condenses a four year classroom curriculum into 3 years, and adding a full year at sea as a cadet on commercial ships. The state academies tend to restrict sea time to 3 summer cruises on their training vessels. KP's sea year exposes the cadets to real life onboard a merchant ship.

Actually, one of the things that tend to amaze ex-Navy guys about merchant ships is the lack of watchstanders. The bridge watches are a mate and an able seaman, and are 4 on 8 off. The engineers are completely day workers in commercial shipping, with an unmanned engine room at night.

The state maritime schools are Maine, Massachusetts, New York, Texas, California, and Great Lakes (Michigan). I may be somewhat prejudiced, but I think that the US Merchant Marine Academy gives a better marine education. Kings Point condenses a four year classroom curriculum into 3 years, and adding a full year at sea as a cadet on commercial ships. The state academies tend to restrict sea time to 3 summer cruises on their training vessels. KP's sea year exposes the cadets to real life onboard a merchant ship.

Color this ex-Navy guy amazed;). I imagine the critical engineering systems are capable of being monitored from the bridge (and it is hard to imagine an engineering space unmanned). I will definitely look into Kings Point (can't imagine that an alumnus would be biased:)).

Color this ex-Navy guy amazed;). I imagine the critical engineering systems are capable of being monitored from the bridge (and it is hard to imagine an engineering space unmanned). I will definitely look into Kings Point (can't imagine that an alumnus would be biased:)).

No, the deck types really have no idea, and don't want to know about anything going on down below. With the exception of the cruise ships, I haven't been on a ship that wasn't unmanned in the last 25 years.

The assistant engineers will rotate the "duty" between themselves (3 or 4 assistants), and at 7pm they will set the automation system to sound an alarm in their cabin and the public spaces (mess hall and lounge) whenever something happens. They will go down and deal with whatever is wrong and then go back to bed. Probably 75% of nights there won't be a single alarm, so from 1900 to 0600, there is no one in the engine room, at sea or in port.

LOL, until I mentioned shipboard employment he was content with the idea of working at Subway for a long time, so I think at least near term he would be fine with being a line cook. Since DW and I thought that he'd never be able to support himself we are thrilled that he wants to work at all:D. Again, I really appreciate the info.

I think it is fantastic your son enjoys working at Subway and it makes me believe that he WILL be able to support himself and he WILL be able to expand his capabilities over the years with your support. There is always more than one route to success in this world.

I wonder if your son might ultimately be a good franchisee? Take a look at these inspiring stories:

http://www.brw.com.au/p/sections/features/jim_fantastic_empire_egwk7FeL4xpMRUqCn4iJZP

http://www.joebrownsegground.co.uk/about-joe/

No, the deck types really have no idea, and don't want to know about anything going on down below. With the exception of the cruise ships, I haven't been on a ship that wasn't unmanned in the last 25 years.

The assistant engineers will rotate the "duty" between themselves (3 or 4 assistants), and at 7pm they will set the automation system to sound an alarm in their cabin and the public spaces (mess hall and lounge) whenever something happens. They will go down and deal with whatever is wrong and then go back to bed. Probably 75% of nights there won't be a single alarm, so from 1900 to 0600, there is no one in the engine room, at sea or in port.

Nice. I read this to my 18 year old and he's more interested in working in engineering now:).

I think it is fantastic your son enjoys working at Subway and it makes me believe that he WILL be able to support himself and he WILL be able to expand his capabilities over the years with your support. There is always more than one route to success in this world.

I wonder if your son might ultimately be a good franchisee? Take a look at these inspiring stories:

http://www.brw.com.au/p/sections/features/jim_fantastic_empire_egwk7FeL4xpMRUqCn4iJZP

http://www.joebrownsegground.co.uk/about-joe/

Thanks. He does have a good head on his shoulders and has learned to be a little less rigid, especially with others. He makes progress every day.

He likes the idea of the Paul Hall UA program and likes what I said about working as a unionized seafarer. One of the questions that he has is are the meals on board provided or does the crew pay for their meals? Transportation to and from his assignment, his responsibility or the ship's? Do the ratings have individual staterooms or do they share?

He likes the idea of the Paul Hall UA program and likes what I said about working as a unionized seafarer. One of the questions that he has is are the meals on board provided or does the crew pay for their meals? Transportation to and from his assignment, his responsibility or the ship's? Do the ratings have individual staterooms or do they share?

Meals are provided. All mariners, US or international, get "3 hots and a cot". Medical attention is free while on ship (may have to wait until port, unless its an emergency), and the union provides a good insurance plan, paid for the most part by the employer.

Jobs are either "permanent" or "rotary". Most permanent jobs are for the 2-3 senior unlicensed positions (Steward, Bosun, or Pumpman). A rotary job, even if you are on a company's preferential list, must be "claimed" at a union hall (they will look at your documents to see if you have paid your dues, etc, before you can take a job). Transportation will be from the union hall where you took the job to the ship and back to the hall of record. The closest hall is New Jersey, or Philly. Transportation from the hall to home is on the seafarer.

On all ships, other than the POA, everyone has an individual cabin. On POA, the SIU deck/engine ratings all have one or two man cabins, while the hotel staff at entry/low level positions are 4 man cabins.

Cheng - DS is now Asst Cheng on his destroyer. His KP education has been invaluable.:cool:

For a student with physical/learning disabilities, I would recommend checking the requirements of both Kings Point and the state academies. For Kings Point, prospective students need to meet the requirements of the Department of Defense Medical Examination Board (known by the acronym of DODMERB:eek:). Our youngest son, in high school, would dearly love to follow in his brother's footsteps at KP - but he has a history of asthma and likely won't meet DODMERB's requirements. SUNY Maritime, New York's state school, doesn't have the same medical requirements. Definitely on his list.:cool:

Meals are provided. All mariners, US or international, get "3 hots and a cot". Medical attention is free while on ship (may have to wait until port, unless its an emergency), and the union provides a good insurance plan, paid for the most part by the employer.

Jobs are either "permanent" or "rotary". Most permanent jobs are for the 2-3 senior unlicensed positions (Steward, Bosun, or Pumpman). A rotary job, even if you are on a company's preferential list, must be "claimed" at a union hall (they will look at your documents to see if you have paid your dues, etc, before you can take a job). Transportation will be from the union hall where you took the job to the ship and back to the hall of record. The closest hall is New Jersey, or Philly. Transportation from the hall to home is on the seafarer.

On all ships, other than the POA, everyone has an individual cabin. On POA, the SIU deck/engine ratings all have one or two man cabins, while the hotel staff at entry/low level positions are 4 man cabins.

I figured meals would be provided but after learning about unmanned engine rooms I am not sure of anything anymore;). Thanks for the info and help Cheng, fair winds and following seas on your upcoming tour.