Splash Academy question

sheeshshe

When we sail the Breakaway next fall, my youngest will be 5, turning 6 that next month. I can tell you right now, that he will not stay in a room of 3-5 year olds. His entire life long, he cries for hours if he has to stay with a bunch of kids younger than he is, but if he is placed in a room of kids his age or older, he does just fine. Do you think they'd allow him to go with the older group, or are they very strict about the age thing? His sister will also be in the next group up.

My experience is that they are very strict about the age groups, and I've heard that posted here as well. I will add though that there are times that they combine groups, especially if enrollment is low- are you sailing during a time when there are likely to be a large number of kids on board? (holiday breaks- or over the summer) If not, then you might be lucky and find that there are times when they are combined.

Even if there is not a formal "combination" there were certain activities where the groups were combined- I had one kid in the 3-5 and one in the 6-9 and they were both in the circus performance thing last year organized by the Splash Academy for example (this was on the Dawn and Star though).

EDIT- I see you are traveling in the fall (October)- this is likely to be a time of lower enrollment for kids so you might be lucky and find some combined groups.

Edited by rjm11

I would think either way that the cruise would likely not have many kids since it's after school starts. Hopefully that will give you a little more flexibility.... but they are fairly clear about NOT formally changing groups and stick to age pretty tightly. You could wait another month until after the birthday if it's really a concern...

Very strict - if he turned 6 during the cruise, they would let him move up on his birthday, I believe.

Nope. Some other cruise line might do that but not NCL. They go by the age when the child boards and that is the group for the duration of the cruise.

The staff in the clubs are very good. They are accustomed on every single cruise to dealing with older 5 year olds. They know how to make it just as fun for them as they do for the 3 year olds. Your child's attitude will make all the difference in the world.

The staff in the clubs are very good. They are accustomed on every single cruise to dealing with older 5 year olds. They know how to make it just as fun for them as they do for the 3 year olds. Your child's attitude will make all the difference in the world.

Oh, it has nothing to do with the activities. He has always had a fear of babies since he was able to talk. And he just views children younger than himself, as babies basically. I don't really understand him, but it is just how he is!

Nope. Some other cruise line might do that but not NCL. They go by the age when the child boards and that is the group for the duration of the cruise.

The website makes it sound like they will be able to move up if they have a birthday during the cruise...I haven't had any recent personal experience with this on a cruise since my daughter is now 25.

http://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/family-cruises/youth-programs/faq

Can my child move up an age group if celebrating a birthday during the cruise?

Children turning three during the cruise are welcome to participate in Turtles on their birthday. No exceptions can be made.

Children turning six during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 6 – 9 age group, beginning embarkation evening.

Children turning 10 during the cruise are welcome to register for and participate in the 10 – 12 age group, beginning embarkation evening.

Children turning 13 during the cruise are welcome to participate in Entourage on their birthday. No exceptions can be made.

Edited by Got Tequila?