I Only Need A Passport Correct?

4CruisingSake

What "other document" would suffice should you need to fly home from a foreign country?

I was not referring to having to fly home from a foreign country, I was talking about taking a closed loop cruise. Yes, if "something" happened and I needed to fly home there would be a delay until the Consulate could issue me an emergency travel document, but the odds of that are very low and I am comfortable with the risk.

I was referring to the airline boarding pass.

And if you are in a foreign country without a passport, how would you get an airline boarding pass.

The responses I have received in this thread are beyond ridiculous.

People have passports, they travel to foreign countries, and think it a good idea to leave their passports home. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Last post for me here. Leave your passports home, and travel to foreign countries:confused:. Good luck to you.

And if you are in a foreign country without a passport, how would you get an airline boarding pass.

People have passports, they travel to foreign countries, and think it a good idea to leave their passports home. That makes no sense whatsoever.

Last post for me here. Leave your passports home, and travel to foreign countries:confused:. Good luck to you.

People travel to foreign countries all of the time without passports on closed loop cruises (and on open jaw sailings too in the western hemisphere with the right document) so I fail to see why the concept is so upsetting to you. As I said, all of my travel has taken place without a passport so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

That was what I had thought & my reason for buying them. Just didn't realize I would still need passports if need to fly back in emergency. In any case...the kids now have photo ID, so still best for them in port! Thanks so much!

unless kids are 16 and over kids do not need a photo ID

cruising and air travel are two different types of transportation. MOST cruisers on a closed loop cruise do not use passports but birth certificates and a state issued ID

People travel to foreign countries all of the time without passports on closed loop cruises (and on open jaw sailings too in the western hemisphere with the right document) so I fail to see why the concept is so upsetting to you. As I said, all of my travel has taken place without a passport so it doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

You surely know there is a great big world out there and you are limiting yourself to a small corner of that world by not having a passport. If that suits you, fine. When many of talk about foreign travel we include other continents than North America/Caribbean.

Saying you travel to foreign countries without a passport is specifically accurate your limited travel but can be very misleading to an inexperienced person who could get the impression they can travel to, for example, Europe without a passport. Of course, they cannot.

See the world. Get a Passport. :) It's really very easy to get one. :)

cruising and air travel are two different types of transportation. MOST cruisers on a closed loop cruise do not use passports but birth certificates and a state issued ID

I'm not sure about MOST cruisers on closed loop cruise not having passport. Sure, there are some but how do you know Most? My casual observations at check in and disembark would tend for me to think otherwise.

You surely know there is a great big world out there and you are limiting yourself to a small corner of that world by not having a passport. If that suits you, fine. When many of talk about foreign travel we include other continents than North America/Caribbean.

When did the Caribbean become the 8th continent? Was this around the time Pluto was no longer considered a planet?

When did the Caribbean become the 8th continent? Was this around the time Pluto was no longer considered a planet?

Really? You did see North America?

I added /Caribbean as I knew there would be someone who would comment about these closed loop cruises going to Caribbean. So, instead........ :cool:

Edited by sail7seas

Really? You did see North America?

I added /Caribbean as I knew there would be someone who would comment about these closed loop cruises going to Caribbean. So, instead........ :cool:

If you try to make everyone happy, no one will like it. In short, no matter what you do, someone is going to be unhappy. That is just life I guess.

And yes, I have seen North America. In fact, I'll see even more of it tomorrow, provided it is not too cloudy. :)

Edited by Cuizer2

Saying you travel to foreign countries without a passport is specifically accurate your limited travel but can be very misleading to an inexperienced person who could get the impression they can travel to, for example, Europe without a passport. Of course, they cannot.

All well and good if one has the wherewhithal to do that kind of travel. Up until now I haven't. Next year we will be going to Europe and of course will obtain passports before we go.

I'm not sure about MOST cruisers on closed loop cruise not having passport. Sure, there are some but how do you know Most? My casual observations at check in and disembark would tend for me to think otherwise.

If I recall correctly about 40% of the passengers on the Dream did not have a passport when the ship was kept at St Martin for maintenance. It is probably very difficult for any of us here to say with any certainty how many passengers on any given sailing have a passport or not, just as it is probably difficult to know with any degree of certainty the numbers across the industry. The safest statement is probably "a significant number of US citizen passengers choose to travel without a passport on closed loop cruises".