Flying into Texas

thehams

Hi everyone :) My FI and I will be on the Navigator of the Seas next summer and we will be flying in from Cali. It looks like the best airport is HOU, which is about an hour from Galveston?

For those of you who flew into HOU, how did you get to Galveston? What did it cost you? I'm worried a taxi will be well over $100.00 I was thinking of staying at a near by hotel and then catching a shuttle at the airport?

Hi everyone :) My FI and I will be on the Navigator of the Seas next summer and we will be flying in from Cali. It looks like the best airport is HOU, which is about an hour from Galveston?

For those of you who flew into HOU, how did you get to Galveston? What did it cost you? I'm worried a taxi will be well over $100.00 I was thinking of staying at a near by hotel and then catching a shuttle at the airport?

Yes, Hobby (HOU) airport is the closest to Galveston.

There are some shuttle services you can use, such as Super Shuttle. I would post your shuttle question on the Gulf Coast Departures forum for more ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=414

My FI and I are taking a cruise out of Galveston and wanted to know how we get to the cruise.

We will be flying in the day before. Is it best yo stay in HOU and leave for Galveston the next morning or go straight to Galveston and stay the night there?

As for transportation, what is the best way to get there? Is there some sort of shuttle? A cab? I'm worried a cab would be really expensive!

Edited by Host Kat >^..^<
threads merged now that original thread by author has been moved to the correct forum

Have sailed out of Galveston a couple of times. Have found flights both into Hobby and Bush International - both about the same distance from Galveston. Would suggest finding your best flight and then checking transportation.

Found Galveston Limo (which is actually a shuttle service) to be very good - often recommended on these boards.

Recently have seen where some people have said that RC transfers were about the same price as the shuttles (that is not usually the case; they are usually more expensive). You may want to check RC's price versus a shuttle service.

There are other options - limo, car service, car rental, etc. Found it easier to fly in the day before and then go directly to Galveston. That way if there are delays on the way to the port, traffic problems, etc. you are at least there.

Have sailed out of Galveston a couple of times. Have found flights both into Hobby and Bush International - both about the same distance from Galveston. Would suggest finding your best flight and then checking transportation.

Found Galveston Limo (which is actually a shuttle service) to be very good - often recommended on these boards.

Recently have seen where some people have said that RC transfers were about the same price as the shuttles (that is not usually the case; they are usually more expensive). You may want to check RC's price versus a shuttle service.

There are other options - limo, car service, car rental, etc. Found it easier to fly in the day before and then go directly to Galveston. That way if there are delays on the way to the port, traffic problems, etc. you are at least there.

Bush is on the North Side of Houston and much further away than Hobby, which is at least on the Galveston (south) side of Houston. As someone else said, check out the Gulf Coast Departures forum.

I arranged with two other couples on the roll call to split a Supershuttle. It ended up being about $120 divided 6 ways, which wasn't too bad. We were coming in the day before, so we couldn't use the Royal Caribbean transfers.

Hobby is the best bet from California. We used the taxi service to get to Galveston. $95 plus tip each way for four of us and lots of luggage. Plenty of taxis both ways, no waiting and very convenient.

^ this. Rough ave transfer time from Bush (IAH) is 2 hours, from Hobby (HOU) is 1 hour.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Bush to Galveston

Road time door to door is not two hours .

Maybe airplane door including luggage time to hotel door could be.

^ agreed, technically speaking! But having lived in Houston many years and made that trip many times, I think 2 hours is the most reliable guide for planning purposes. I always feel very lucky when the traffic gods smile on me while making that trip!

^ agreed, technically speaking! But having lived in Houston many years and made that trip many times, I think 2 hours is the most reliable guide for planning purposes. I always feel very lucky when the traffic gods smile on me while making that trip!

Traffic is always circumstatial everywhere.

But I live in Galveston and have made the trips many many times also.

Guess The Gods must have smiled on me favorably. :)

Well, you islanders figure out all the tricks! It is funny we are having this chat...I have been so craving Farley Girls' shrimp and grits. Please go indulge for me!

Well, you islanders figure out all the tricks! It is funny we are having this chat...I have been so craving Farley Girls' shrimp and grits. Please go indulge for me!

For sure and I have had them there!

Both are among my favorite southern foods especially together .

Come on down and we will do Farley Girl's.

Edited by ssb