corkage fee questions?

winediva

I see that there is an official corkage fee for wines that one brings on board, but I also read that you can't bring wine on board. What gives? Anyone have any personal "success stories" bringing wine on board? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate or anything; I always run up an impressive wine and liquor bill on board. I just like to bring a few bottles from my cellar to celebrate with at special dinners.

I see that there is an official corkage fee for wines that one brings on board, but I also read that you can't bring wine on board. What gives? Anyone have any personal "success stories" bringing wine on board? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate or anything; I always run up an impressive wine and liquor bill on board. I just like to bring a few bottles from my cellar to celebrate with at special dinners.

That is exactly what the corkage fee is in place for. Carry them on, sign for the corkage, enjoy :)

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel "without the previous written permission of the Carrier" any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.

The 'corkage' is charged at the port of embarkation, and generally seems to be $10-$15 per bottle if they find them. We heard from a few on the Dream who refused to pay, and their case of wine was put in the hold and returned on the last night of the cruise.

We didn't take wine on board, since teh prices aren't too bad, and we ordered the Anniversary/Honeymoon package which meant a well chilled bottle of bubble in our room to drink on the balcony while leaving Seattle :)

We DID setup a Bar in our room by calling 1-866-625-1159 before the cruise. Prices vary from $40-$55 plus a $3 setup charge, all 1 Litre bottles(charged to your credit card 48 hours before the cruise). They had a selection of popular drinks (whiskey, Gin, Vodka etc) . We got a bottle of Tanquery Gin for $55 plus $3 setup (Beefeater or Gilbey's are $40), just bring your own mixers, there are no rules about bringing soft drinks on board. You can order mixer bottles if you don't want to carry them onboard.

Thanks for the info everyone. How odd that they include such a stern warning against bringing "intoxicating beverages" along with the helpful reminder to not bring along your handguns, land mines, and/or farm animals.

My experience on RCL and Celebrity has been that a few bottles tucked in your checked luggage has never been a problem. Then I just bring them to the sommelier in the dining room early in the day and let them know I'd like to have it with dinner. I've always found the wines nicely decanted at my table, and quite often the corkage fee doesn't even appear on my bill. I order so much wine off the dining room's list in addition to the wine I bring; I think its all in the spirit of enjoying the experience, not cheating the cruise line out of a few bucks.

Thanks for the info everyone. How odd that they include such a stern warning against bringing "intoxicating beverages" along with the helpful reminder to not bring along your handguns, land mines, and/or farm animals.

My experience on RCL and Celebrity has been that a few bottles tucked in your checked luggage has never been a problem. Then I just bring them to the sommelier in the dining room early in the day and let them know I'd like to have it with dinner. I've always found the wines nicely decanted at my table, and quite often the corkage fee doesn't even appear on my bill. I order so much wine off the dining room's list in addition to the wine I bring; I think its all in the spirit of enjoying the experience, not cheating the cruise line out of a few bucks.

And it is just for that reason they change the policy last November to allow a again a few bottles. You will find a pretty good wine list onboard at reasonable prices. It is nice to bring a few special wines. It was not intended for those that want to bring a couple of 5 liter boxes of wine.

We were on the Spirit in April and brought several bottles of wine on board. We were upfront with the bottles we brought and paid a $15 corkage fee. We had expected a $10 corkage, however, the price went up the week prior. Just be sure to save your receipt from paying the corkage as you board, we were asked to show proof if we brought a bottle of wine with us to dinner. One dinner DH had to return to our cabin to retrieve our reciept before they would open our bottle of wine. Unless we are bringing a very special bottle, I would not bring wine with us again, their bottle prices were pretty reasonable.

Do you have to drink it in the dining room,or can you keep it in your room? We were thinking about bringing along a bottle of champagne that we wouldn't really want with dinner, more for a special occasion between us and another couple. I don't mind paying the corkage, just don't want to have to drink it in the dining room...

Do you have to drink it in the dining room,or can you keep it in your room? We were thinking about bringing along a bottle of champagne that we wouldn't really want with dinner, more for a special occasion between us and another couple. I don't mind paying the corkage, just don't want to have to drink it in the dining room...

No problem - you can drink it in your room. Check out the onboard wine list as well. You may want to order a bottle or perhaps the anniversary package (best deal at sea) as well.

That way you will have glasses and a bucket to use for your bottle as well.

http://www.ncl.com/download/faxback/4800.pdf

http://www.ncl.com/more/honeymoon_mini.htm

No problem - you can drink it in your room. Check out the onboard wine list as well. You may want to order a bottle or perhaps the anniversary package (best deal at sea) as well.

That way you will have glasses and a bucket to use for your bottle as well.

Thanks for the info. What about wine? Can we bring that to drink in our room also? I would only bring one or the other, not a whole wine cellar:) . Is it best to check it or carry it on? I don't want them to think I'm trying to sneak it on and get sent to retrieve it later.

Thanks for the info. What about wine? Can we bring that to drink in our room also? I would only bring one or the other, not a whole wine cellar:) . Is it best to check it or carry it on? I don't want them to think I'm trying to sneak it on and get sent to retrieve it later.

I was talking about wine. You really can't bring anything else. If it is not a special bottle with the $15 corkage fee you may be better off ordering it onboard.

My experience has been good simply packing a few bottles in my checked luggage. Both cabin stewards and restaurant sommeliers have been happy to provide ice, glassware etc upon request. Again, I buy plenty more wine and Champage on board and compensate the sommeliers and cabin folks extra for their help.

My experience has been good simply packing a few bottles in my checked luggage. Both cabin stewards and restaurant sommeliers have been happy to provide ice, glassware etc upon request. Again, I buy plenty more wine and Champage on board and compensate the sommeliers and cabin folks extra for their help.

Post 9/11 they scan all checked bags. They by no means get it all but you run the risk of having to go to the "room" to claim, open, and remove the bottles that will be held until the end of the cruise.

This will be our first time on NCL and Freestyling. We are accustomed to eating at the same table every night and re-corking the unused portion of our bottle of wine.(Having left over wine doesn’t happen too often:D ) Then the next night, if there is some left, we finish the bottle. What happens on NCL, since you usually don't eat at the same table or restaurant each night?

Larry

This will be our first time on NCL and Freestyling. We are accustomed to eating at the same table every night and re-corking the unused portion of our bottle of wine.(Having left over wine doesn’t happen too often:D ) Then the next night, if there is some left, we finish the bottle. What happens on NCL, since you usually don't eat at the same table or restaurant each night?

Larry

No problem - They will cork your wine, tag it and store it in a central location. No matter where on when you eat the next day they will find and bring the remaining wine.

You can if you want take the bottle with you to any bar or back to your cabin as well.

Larry

From our experience on POAM, I would suggest that you bring your unfinished bottle back to your cabin to store. If you purchase your bottle of wine from one restaurant, they will store it there. If you plan to eat at another restaruant the next night, they will have to go to the first restaurant and retrieve it. There will be a delay in receiving your bottle of wine.

On the odd occasion we didn't finish a bottle, we left it with them, and got the card. On the Dream it never took long, but I expect on a larger ship there may be a longer walk for the wine waiter.

If we took it back to our room, that was a sure fire way to ensure there was an empty bottle by the morning :)

Thanks everyone for answering that VERY important question.;) I will help the waiter from making the long walk by finishing it up. Now when my wife says that I've had enough, I'll just tell her I'm saving the waiters legs!:D

Larry

Passenger is not allowed to bring onboard the vessel "without the previous written permission of the Carrier" any intoxicating liquors, or beverages, firearms, weapons of any kind, ammunition, explosive substances or any goods of a dangerous nature, nor animals of any kind, except service or guide animals, provided the passenger notifies Carrier prior to the cruise of his intention to bring such animal and agrees to take sole responsibility for any expense, damage, injuries or losses associated with or caused by such animal.
I am not certain but would guess you may have gotten this from the information about alcohol from the brochure. If so, remember brochures are printed at least 1 year or so in advance. November 1st of last year the new policy went into affect: wine is allowed on board if you pay the corkage fee upon embarkation. Actually they did not charge us: we only had 2 bottles and I think the gal looked at the brand and felt sorry for us because it was as cheap as you can get, well one bottle was: some of you may know 2 buck Chuck? LOL

NMnita

Ah yes, the famed Charles Shaw :). Its actually 3 whole dollars anywhere outside of California. Again, I think its just preventing folks from bringing cases of booze on board. I've toted on 6 bottles with no problem on Celebrity and RCL with not a peep in the last year. In fact, I asked my cabin steward to fill my little cabin trash can with ice upon arrival. He said (with a carribbean accent)"But that is the trash can , Ma'm" I said, "Yes, I know - I just would like a lot of ice." He then smiled "Do you have wine to chill M'am?" and I said - "why yes, I do" With a quick smirk he said "All right. Let the party begin!" I asked what the procedure was to pay the corkage fee and he told me "don't worry about that Ma'm. You are on vacation."

Then - everyday when I left for lunch, he would chill any bottle I left next to the ice bucket, so that it was ready for our pre-dinner Champagne on the balcony. Sooo coool! And the corkage fee never appeared on our bill.

I just added up what the corkage fee should have been and gave it to my cabin steward in addition to his gratuity.

Ahhhhh, I love cruising :)

Ah yes, the famed Charles Shaw :). Its actually 3 whole dollars anywhere outside of California. Again, I think its just preventing folks from bringing cases of booze on board. I've toted on 6 bottles with no problem on Celebrity and RCL with not a peep in the last year. In fact, I asked my cabin steward to fill my little cabin trash can with ice upon arrival. He said (with a carribbean accent)"But that is the trash can , Ma'm" I said, "Yes, I know - I just would like a lot of ice." He then smiled "Do you have wine to chill M'am?" and I said - "why yes, I do" With a quick smirk he said "All right. Let the party begin!" I asked what the procedure was to pay the corkage fee and he told me "don't worry about that Ma'm. You are on vacation."

Then - everyday when I left for lunch, he would chill any bottle I left next to the ice bucket, so that it was ready for our pre-dinner Champagne on the balcony. Sooo coool! And the corkage fee never appeared on our bill.

I just added up what the corkage fee should have been and gave it to my cabin steward in addition to his gratuity.

Ahhhhh, I love cruising :)

Thanks for this posting....it's an example of how, every once in awhile, I read something on these boards that makes me want to be on a ship RIGHT NOW!

I am not certain but would guess you may have gotten this from the information about alcohol from the brochure.

The text regarding what you cannot bring onboard is actually the exact text that appears on the NCL web pages today if you go from the home page to 'More Info' > 'What You Need to Know' > 'What can't I bring onboard?'

Here is the link: http://www.ncl.com/more/fp_mi_w2n.htm#bring

It does seem very OTT by linking alcohol, guns and explosives in the same sentence !

Archived