The Unwanted Upgrade

Dodger Blue

The problems you have had with a Travel Agent seems to be a very common Problem,Since we have given up on dealing with them, and now do all our Bookings ourselves direct,eg. Airlines,Hotels,tours and Cruise Lines direct ,we have never since had a Problem.We now feel we are back in control,not controlled by any incompetent TA's. Also as others have mentioned, dont forget to state "NO UPGRADES" Enjoy your chosen Cabin.

I have gotten to that point myself after numerous screw-ups by TAs, who now often charge you for their services. I have booked all our air, hotel and rental cars for many years. No problems.

The only travel we have stayed with a TA for is cruises. Our longtime TA is no longer discounting more than 1 or 2%, and takes a "cut" out of any fare drops to protect her commission. I booked my last cruise directly, and felt much more confident about the booking when I could speak directly with the line.

I know some posters say they have great TAs who discount heavily, but I sure can't find them :(.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

I know some posters say they have these great TAs who discount heavily, but I sure can't find them.
Keep looking and asking onboard. They're out there.

Even with a good discount TA, they're not perfect. After all, they're human. So I always double check everything and never assume. You'd do that whether booking directly or with a TA. I have control of my booking and know that if I have a question or want to make a change, I'll get a quick response. It's nice to know someone has "pull" with Princess and has my back, something I'd never get if I booked directly.

I should have mentioned earlier that right now we have been given a "catch 22" by Royal Caribbean. We booked our cruise ourselves, but in order to have insurance...we have to transfer our booking to a TA and buy their insurance. Or go without insurance and take the risk.

If RC is not significantly better then Princess (who does sell Canadians insurance) then we will stick with Princess.

*** Canadian Cruiser's EH!!! on FB ***

...It's nice to know someone has "pull" with Princess and has my back, something I'd never get if I booked directly.

This, IMO, is the best reason for using a TA. It is why I have stayed with ours for many years. Unfortunately, her office is no longer discounting they way they used to. I figure an upcoming 14-nighter we have booked with her is costing us more than if we had booked directly. This is due to the fact she has taken a "cut" out of several large price drops :(.

You are correct, I need to keep looking!

Edited by Ryndam2002

I have never gotten a decent upgrade ... ever except for one time with a meta upgrade and then I had to cancel that cruise. While I do tempt fate somewhat by putting in for a Meta Upgrade only, I usually only pick cabins which I would want to occupy. That is always the cabin I get. I have not had one changed on me with using this method to date....cannot say it won't happen but never upgraded if I put in for a meta upgrade only. Still always happy with my regular room choice, though.

Quick Update: I thought this issue had been resolved but it is still on-going. They haven't moved us back to our original cabins because the people in them now won't move! Can't blame them, they lucked out when they got them. However, some new information has come to light. I've learned through my travel agent that Princess is required to give 48 hours notice when they are going to move somebody. Princess did notify the original agent assigned to my booking via email, but since she was no longer with the organization and her email box had been closed, the email bounced back to Princess and never notified the company directly that they were proposing a move!. Consequently, no notification was made to my travel agent or myself. My agent is supposed to hear back from Princess today to see what they propose to rectify the situation.

Quick Update: I thought this issue had been resolved but it is still on-going. They haven't moved us back to our original cabins because the people in them now won't move! Can't blame them, they lucked out when they got them. However, some new information has come to light. I've learned through my travel agent that Princess is required to give 48 hours notice when they are going to move somebody. Princess did notify the original agent assigned to my booking via email, but since she was no longer with the organization and her email box had been closed, the email bounced back to Princess and never notified the company directly that they were proposing a move!. Consequently, no notification was made to my travel agent or myself. My agent is supposed to hear back from Princess today to see what they propose to rectify the situation.

This is bad news. I know how it is not to get the cabin you originally booked, especially when you have carefully chosen and booked long in advance. I hope Princess can fix it to your satisfaction.

Latest Update: Princess has come through. They acknowledged that they messed up. They've returned us to our original cabins (I'm sure the new folks got a nice upgrade) and, in consideration for the hassle they put us through they reduced our total fare by $500 and gave us an additional $150 on board credit. My faith in Princess is restored. This episode should also encourage those of you that feel "wronged" in some manner not to give up. They can always fix what is broken if they are willing.

We just got off the Royal on Tuesday and we stood on the Seawalk or by the Seaview bar and looked down at all those midship cabins and said that no way no how would we ever want one of them. No privacy when using your balcony and some of the cabins you can actually see right into the cabin. I think the upgrade you were given would have been MUCH better! Having a little larger balcony is not worth sacrificing privacy.

As we just received our cabin assignment on the Regal I was dismayed to read of your observations of the midship cabins on the Royal. Do yo know if the midship cabins below the Lido deck are also noisier?

We have received upgrades on our last three cruises with Princesss. We always received notice and ask up to reply if we did not want to. The last one was to a mini suite from a balcony with the larger covered balcony. We refused that one and went back and marked "no upgrade."

We cruise more with Princess that anyone because they seem to work more with us than the other cruise lines. That does not mean they have been perfect. But they atleast considered what we said.