Questions about Spirit to Alaska

MikenAZ

Does anyone have anything positive to say about the Spirit. I was just about to cancel my trip based on all of the negative commentary. Not really, but I am beginning to get a little concerned.

This will be my first cruise ever. So I don't really know what to expect. My wife went on a cruise and said that she enjoyed it, but that drinks and speciality restaurants can eat up your spending budget pretty quick. My sister went on a cruise with Princess Cruise Lines and a friend went on one with Holland America and both absolutely loved their cruise, but for different reasons.

Regarding the food. While I'm a pretty finicky eater, I'm also willing to spend extra for the specialty restaurants and I am not expecting 5-star quality either (especially not for the price that I paid for the cruise). My plan is to eat at Maxims one night and Shogun two other nights. I read somewhere that the cover charges (which includes the food) are $20 for Maxims and $12.50 for Shogun. Can someone confirm? Also, I am really interested in Shogun as I LOVE sushi. So if anyone can tell me how the sushi selection is, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, are non-alcoholic drinks included with the cover charge?

My plan is to ask the purser which nights are the best to eat at the free restaurants and which one's they would recommend. Then immediately book the specialty restaurants on the off nights (and then drop them a modest tip).

Everything I had read says to avoid Raffles buffet. That suits me just fine as I am not a buffet person anyway. I'm not really a breakfast person either, but I would hope that there would be other choices to eat lunch. Burgers, chicken sandwiches, fish & chips, and pizza are suitable lunch foods for me.

How much are beers and well drinks? I'm guessing $4 and $6 respectively (plus tip).

I've read on a few different occasions that the Spirit has been fitted for the asian traveler? What does that mean? Hopefully it doesn't mean that the ceilings are lower or the cabins are noticably smaller, as I am 6'4" and that would bum me out a bit. I'm also traveling with my father, and while I love him dearly, I don't want to be rubbing elbows with him constantly either.

Since I am traveling with my dad, I would prefer to be able to charge things separately. But, if it's not possible, it wouldn't be the end of the world either. I am sure I could keep track of what I charge to the cabin and then settle up in the end.

So soda bands are around $40, correct? And that includes Coke and Sprite only right? What's to prevent me from bringing a few liters of soda on with me? $40 seems like a lot of soda to drink in one week, I prefer iced tea most of the time anyway. Is iced tea free? If it is not, that would surprise me since iced tea is really just cheaply flavored water. Is it anything like a hotel where you can get free ice from the ice machine down the hall?

Regarding excursions. I'm working on a limited budget, so I am thinking about going on a couple of excursions. One is the White Pass Railway Tour in Skagway and a whale-watching excursion in Juneau. Anyone want to suggest any others for a reasonable price?

Regarding shows. I'm not really a stage show type-of-guy, but I wouldn't mind catching a show every now and then. I really looking to relax and do a little site seeing. Any shows that anyone would recommend or recommend to miss?

Well, I apologize for all of the questions ..but any tips or non-jaded, non-employee advice anyone will to give is greatly appreciated.

Mike

Yes. you can bring your favorite non-alcholic drinks onboard. The soda sticker package has gone up recently. In the restaurants ice tea, coffee, and ship's water is free, for breakfast orange and apple juice is free along with the coffee, tea, and swiss miss hot chocolate. However, if you are thirsty outside the restaurants, drinks do cost at the lounges. Of course, you could always return to your cabin and drink water from the tap.

Typical cafeteria food did better at the Raffles buffet such as meat loaf and roast beef compared to the chicken, ribs, hot dogs and hamburgers being grilled by the pool or at the Raffles terrace outside.

The Spirit is fitted with Asian decor in many of its public rooms, its galleys are not up to American standards, something which will be corrected in the upcoming drydock. Never-the-less the ship is as ready for Americans as any other ship. I found the Asian decor unique....

You have picked two wonderful excursions. I enjoyed a canoe excursion at Prince Rupert. I enjoy canoeing much more than I do kayaking. It was a wonderful way to sightsee the wonderful harbor, and work off some of the weight I had gained on the cruise. This canoe is the largest canoe I have ever seen, the Indians had a drummer on board to stroke by with 20 or so people onboard....

Yes. you can bring your favorite non-alcholic drinks onboard. The soda sticker package has gone up recently. In the restaurants ice tea, coffee, and ship's water is free, for breakfast orange and apple juice is free along with the coffee, tea, and swiss miss hot chocolate. However, if you are thirsty outside the restaurants, drinks do cost at the lounges. Of course, you could always return to your cabin and drink water from the tap.

Typical cafeteria food did better at the Raffles buffet such as meat loaf and roast beef compared to the chicken, ribs, hot dogs and hamburgers being grilled by the pool or at the Raffles terrace outside.

The Spirit is fitted with Asian decor in many of its public rooms, its galleys are not up to American standards, something which will be corrected in the upcoming drydock. Never-the-less the ship is as ready for Americans as any other ship. I found the Asian decor unique....

You have picked two wonderful excursions. I enjoyed a canoe excursion at Prince Rupert. I enjoy canoeing much more than I do kayaking. It was a wonderful way to sightsee the wonderful harbor, and work off some of the weight I had gained on the cruise. This canoe is the largest canoe I have ever seen, the Indians had a drummer on board to stroke by with 20 or so people onboard....

Thank you very much. This is great!

Are you sure you did'nt read all the bad reveiws for the dream?

I got the soda card and thought it was worth it because there was no hassel of paying for each drink. i just showed them my card and a soda appeared. Sodas are around 2dollars a can if you want to just buy them as you go (suggest this if you dont drink that much soda through the day). The ice tea is not sweet, but its not freash brewed either. Here is a tip.... go to the buffet and steep 3 tea bags in hot water for a few mins. Then dump it into a large water bottle ( i would suggest bring a nalgene bottle ... u can get them at a sports store or the knock off version at target, starbucks , eddie baurer) add cold water, ice and your choice of sugar... now you have yourself some real ice tea!

I brought this water bottle around with me all day filled with diffrent things such as juice from the morning .... water .... ice tea.

I found most lounges would give you a cup of tap water....

dont worry... the ships tap water is so filtered it might be the best you'll ever drink.

I sailed on the Spirit the first week in July and can confirm the following cover charges for the specialty restaurants:

Maxim's $20.00pp (this does not include the lobster/steak item on the menu, that costs more)

Taipan Bistro $15.00pp

Shogun $12.50pp

If you are on a limited budget, you might try their 2/1 offer 5:30pm-6:00pm at Bistro or Shogun but this time slot fills up fast for obvious reasons, so book early. They do not include Maxims in this special at all.

Here's a drink tip: Be sure to tell the bartender that you DON'T want your drink in the souvenir glass - that will add $1.00 to the drink and unless you specify that you don't want it, they will serve your drink in it, for added revenue I guess. Happy sailing!

Sailed the Spirit on May 21st. It was our 1st cruise and like you, we were being open-minded about things because we got such a great deal.

MY #1 ADVICE IS IF YOU'RE NOT HAPPY WITH A MEAL OR SERVICE - SPEAK UP!!! Don't just complain about it later. You can send back any meal and try something else. We had a friend ask for a steak on a night it wasn't on the menu and he got it no problem. In most cases the staff will do whatever they can to make you happy.

Sushi is not included in the cover charge at Shogun. It is a la carte. Limited menu but very good - the sushi chef made some spicy tuna & tempura rolls for us even though they weren't on the menu. Most rolls were $2 - Nigiri was $2 for 2 pieces.

No need to tip the purser for dining info - the 'Freestyle Daily' for each day will give you all the daily dining deals. There is a restaurant reservation table set up in the Grand Centrum. You can look over all the menus and make reservations.

Best place for burgers is Blue Lagoon. Lunch in Windows is very nice too.

Your room stewards will keep your ice bucket full - if you need more ask them to keep 2 buckets full or call room service.

No trouble bringing 2 dozen cans of soda in our carry-on. Easy to buy more in each port. The iced tea is terrible (very watery). Water is excellent.

Being 6'4" you'll find the toilet cubicle of the bathroom very small. There is only about 18" from the edge of the toilet to the wall - if you lean forward while seated you'll hit your head on the wall. You may also find the ceiling in the bathroom low as it is raised up a step from the stateroom. Shower is roomy but you may have to duck down.

We went whale watching in Juneau with Captain Larry. It was excellent - saw 8-10 orcas and 2 humpbacks BUT when the ship couldn't get to Sawyer Glacier I wished we had booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer instead. I bit more $$$ but everyone who went said it was amazing and they got very close to the glacier.

When you check-in you are asked for a credit card to cover your onboard charges. They may let you and your dad set up separate accounts. If not, the final statement shows which passenger signed for each expense.

Hope this info helps. don't worry... you'll have an excellent time

''wished we had booked the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer instead. I bit more $$$ but everyone who went said it was amazing and they got very close to the glacier.'' I did that excursion and can testify that the $150pp fee was worth every penny. We got much closer to sawyer glacier than the ship due to size/ice conditions and we saw whales, black bears and sea lions sunbathing on glaciers. Happy Sailing!

RE: A la carte sushi

If you choose only the a la carte selections (ie: sushi in shogun, surf & turf in Le Bistro, etc) in the specialty restaurants, you do not pay the cover charge, just the cost of your a la carte selections. If you get the meal in shogun for the cover charge, you can also add sushi on for the extra a la carte price. This is how it has worked for us in the past.

Also, on the Star to Alaska last year, they had one lunch that was all you can eat sushi for $10 per person, so you might want to watch for something like that. I do not know if it has been offered on the Spirit, but I'll certainly check it out for you next week!

Seems like there is usually a beer special, as well. So many in a helmet for a reduced price. I'll check that out too, if someone else doesn't pipe in with the details.

We leave in 5 days for our cruise aboard the Spirit. I can hardly wait!!! I had the chance to tour the ship last summer and have been so excited to get aboard ever since. She is really unique and lovely and I think you're in for a wonderful cruise with your dad!!!!

I've read on a few different occasions that the Spirit has been fitted for the asian traveler? What does that mean? Hopefully it doesn't mean that the ceilings are lower or the cabins are noticably smaller, as I am 6'4" and that would bum me out a bit. I'm also traveling with my father, and while I love him dearly, I don't want to be rubbing elbows with him constantly either.

I am rather large, 6'8" and I did not have any problem with the stateroom or the bathroom, although the toilet area was hard to get into when my DW was doing her makeup!:)

Since you are tall, anyway, you are probably used to the 'height discrimination' that is placed upon us by society:rolleyes: . You will do fine.

Have a great cruise with your Dad. Take lots of pics.

I have sailed before with another person and at check in we gave both of our credit cards so our stuff went to separate accounts. It was no problem at all.

We'll be on the Spirit 9/10 - when will you be going?

Hikini:D

Thanks everyone! This is just what I was hoping for! Great advice and tips. I am a little disappointed that sushi and steak and lobster are extra in addition to the cover charge. I was hoping the cover charge covered it all. Now I have to reconsider eating at Shogun and I was looking forward to it. Although $2 for a pair of sushi pieces is a steal on land, I could still do a lot of damage to my limited pocketbook. $12.50 cover and 6 pairs of sushi isn't too bad for $25, I suppose.

Hikini: My cruise begins Sept 3rd.

Hi-We returned fm Alaska 8/1 and had a super trip-on the advice from these boards I booked the Skagway excursion bus tour up and the train back down-two different views and the bus tour allowed for stops for pics of eagles, etc on the trip up, also stopped for lunch. It is a longer tour and we wondered if it would be too long but it was so interesting the time flew by. Talking to others who took the train both ways some were disappointed that there were no stops and they didn't have the chance to get off the train. Hope this helps.

I agree with bbkarls on the train. We did one of the combo's and it worked out great. We took the bus to the gold rush trail camp (Liarsville), then continued up the highway, stopping to get out at various scenic turnouts. Then it was the train back down...beautiful scenery and the railroad is an attraction in itself. A great day.

MikenAZ, you will be boarding as we disembark on the 3rd. :)

Archived