Denali Park Village

lovetotraveltx

Heard it's easy to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness Tour, when you meet your guide in your hotel. It's about $79 per person to do so.

What tour number are you on. We are on 5B and I was told it would be the Grand Denali or Denali Park Village, probably Village. They should know for sure about January.

It's only easy IF there are seats available.

Don't wait until you arrive at the park. You're coming all the way to Alaska and may or not get in ???? Yikes, that would be a heart breaker.

The PP wants the shuttle to Eielson, only $35. Not worth waiting until the last minute for such a small expense. Not saying you need to buy today, but don't wait until May.

lovetotraveltx,

We are doing the 5B tour just as you are. Why would we want to pay to upgrade to the TWT when we could book the park shuttle for less than half the cost and go much further into Denali? I'm trying to find out if Celebrity will refund the cost of the NHT. If so, we've saved even more money.

Mapleleaves,

Thanks for the info. We could easily do the 30-40 minute walk. I'm just wondering if the place where we will be staying will offer a shuttle service to the WAC. We are ready to purchase our park shuttle tickets as soon as we have more information on where we will be staying, and yes, we will have our tickets purchased long before we arrive in Denali.

We could easily do the 30-40 minute walk. I'm just wondering if the place where we will be staying will offer a shuttle service to the WAC. We are ready to purchase our park shuttle tickets as soon as we have more information on where we will be staying, and yes, we will have our tickets purchased long before we arrive in Denali.

Keep in mind that you'll need to pick up your own snacks/drinks if you take a shuttle vs tour. Pick up a sandwich to share from the Subway in Glitter Gulch, or most hotels sell boxed lunches.

Will Celebrity tell you what the hotel options are? Then you could look at each hotel web site for shuttle info.

If you walk from Glitter Gulch, there's a path along the highway. After you cross the bridge, look for the Jonesville Trail as a shortcut. Take a right onto the park road and you're only 4-5 minutes from the WAC.

This map might help: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/dayhiking.htm#CP_JUMP_229351

Thanks Mapleleaves, you are a wealth of information on Alaska.

I have looked at both Grand Denali Lodge and Denali Park Village websites and it looks as if both provide a shuttle to WAC. If we stay at either of those sites, we should be good to go. We were planning on taking snacks and water, but a sandwich or boxed lunch might be even better. I bet even Subway prices are higher in Alaska than what we pay at home? Also, thanks for the link to the map.

Thanks Mapleleaves, you are a wealth of information on Alaska.

I have looked at both Grand Denali Lodge and Denali Park Village websites and it looks as if both provide a shuttle to WAC. If we stay at either of those sites, we should be good to go. We were planning on taking snacks and water, but a sandwich or boxed lunch might be even better. I bet even Subway prices are higher in Alaska than what we pay at home? Also, thanks for the link to the map.

Denali Park does have a shuttle; we liked our stay there although I wish we had gotten a different room, but it wasn't a huge deal.

You're right about Subway. If memory serves correctly, it was like $10 or so. It was still worth it to have a decent sandwich on the bus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Denali Park does have a shuttle; we liked our stay there although I wish we had gotten a different room, but it wasn't a huge deal.

You're right about Subway. If memory serves correctly, it was like $10 or so. It was still worth it to have a decent sandwich on the bus.

What type of room should we try to request?thank you!

What type of room should we try to request?thank you!

River facing. Half the rooms face the parking lot. Not a huge deal except that most rooms also do not have air conditioning. If you open your window to get some air, you get noise from the parking lot all hours of the night. Combine that noise with a really cheap mattress and its a long night.

I still liked the property though. The river is beautiful and the main lodge is nice. I had more than my share of beers at the bar and out on the deck watching the river go by.

River facing. Half the rooms face the parking lot. Not a huge deal except that most rooms also do not have air conditioning. If you open your window to get some air, you get noise from the parking lot all hours of the night. Combine that noise with a really cheap mattress and its a long night.

I still liked the property though. The river is beautiful and the main lodge is nice. I had more than my share of beers at the bar and out on the deck watching the river go by.

Thanks! Are there rooms in the main lodge?

• 1 month later...

The area referred to as "Glitter Gulch" is located a half mile or so (the development is long and narrow) north of the entrance to Denali National Park. The national park entrance is at mile 240 of the Parks Highway. The Denali Village Hotel complex is nine or ten miles south of the park entrance.

Just found out this is where we are definitely staying in June for 2 nights with celebrity. Is this in "glitter gulch". If not anywhere to walk to to eat and/or get a packed lunch?

Anywhere good to eat right there at the lodge?

Thank you!

Actually, Denali Park Village is south of "glitter gulch". Not too much around there and it has cabins on the banks of the Nenana River. Wife and I always viewed this place as an overflow establishment for tour groups that can't get in to the hotels closer to the park entrance. They do run shuttles however and there is a restaurant primarily aimed at tour groups at the place.

Edited by Chenega

It seems that the Denali Park Village is the new name for what used to be called the McKinley Chalets. http://www.denaliparkvillage.com/accommodations/the-lodge.aspx

If this is true, you are right in the middle of what is known as "glitter gulch".

OOOHH -- I thought the Denali Park Village is the complex miles south of Glitter Gulch. It also has been renamed -- so what is the current name of that complex? Am I correct in my understanding that "lovetotraveltx" is on a Celebrity cruise tour? I know that the McKinley Chalets were sold recently but thought that they were sold by Aramark to Holland America. Guess I need to pay more attention to the realty sales in the Interior.

OOOHH -- I thought the Denali Park Village is the complex miles south of Glitter Gulch. It also has been renamed -- so what is the current name of that complex? Am I correct in my understanding that "lovetotraveltx" is on a Celebrity cruise tour? I know that the McKinley Chalets were sold recently but thought that they were sold by Aramark to Holland America. Guess I need to pay more attention to the realty sales in the Interior.

I stand corrected. McKinley Chalets is supposedly run by Westmark now (change from Aramark) and Denali Park Village is still about a ten minute drive south of glitter gulch. Look at the Denali Park Village website and the place looks very similar to the McKinley Chalets. Yeah, this gets confusing!

Edited by Chenega

McKinley Chalets is supposedly run by Westmark now (change from Aramark) and Denali Park Village is still about a ten minute drive south of glitter gulch. Look at the Denali Park Village website and the place looks very similar to the McKinley Chalets. Yeah, this gets confusing!

I thought that the McKinley Chalets were actually sold to Holland America -- what is your memory of the press releases last fall? And the complex which I think is currently named the Denali Park Village is that complex down the incline below the Parks Highway on the right as one drives north toward the park entrance and Fairbanks; I think that its name also has been fairly recently changed but don't recall the original name. Yeah, this is confusing.

I thought that the McKinley Chalets were actually sold to Holland America -- what is your memory of the press releases last fall? And the complex which I think is currently named the Denali Park Village is that complex down the incline below the Parks Highway on the right as one drives north toward the park entrance and Fairbanks; I think that its name also has been fairly recently changed but don't recall the original name. Yeah, this is confusing.

Looked it up this morning and Westmark Hotels is a subsidiary of Holland America. Yes, this gets confusing. http://www.westmarkhotels.com/about-us/

[quote=lovetotraveltx;45324801

Anyone stay at Denali Park Village recently? Where do shuttles take you? Is there a variety of food on premises? Any place to get a boxed lunch for excursions?

Thank you!

If my memory is correct the prior name of the Denali Park Village was the McKinley Village (which was continually confused with the McKinley Chalets). You might try using the search function for the prior name, but remember that this property was recently sold so there may be changes. Please also remember that there was quite a bit of confusion on this board with posters commenting about one property when they clearly were at the other so pay particular attention to their comments about the location of the property.

Sorry for the confusion but there has been some shuffling since last summer with ownership and names. The McKinley Village is now apparently called the Denali Park Village. The place is about a 10 minute drive from the main entrance to the park and the Wilderness Activities Center from which shuttles into the park depart.

When we last stayed there several years ago there was a restaurant and a smaller food area as well. I believe they will pack a lunch for the shuttle. There are also many cabins that are close to the river as well as each other.

Edited by Chenega

It's definitely confusing.

Like everyone said, the village is miles south of Glitter Gulch. There are shuttles that will bus you to Glitter Gulch and back so you can shop or eat elsewhere (try the Salmon Bake; we loved it).

On the property itself they have a restaurant where you can get a decent meal. It's not cheap, but not a lot in Alaska is. They have a coffee / snack area where you can grab a quick pre-made sandwich to go too if that's more up your alley.

Sorry for the confusion but there has been some shuffling since last summer with ownership and names. The McKinley Village is now apparently called the Denali Park Village. The place is about a 10 minute drive from the main entrance to the park and the Wilderness Activities Center from which shuttles into the park depart.

When we last stayed there several years ago there was a restaurant and a smaller food area as well. I believe they will pack a lunch for the shuttle. There are also many cabins that are close to the river as well as each other.

Thank you!

It's definitely confusing.

Like everyone said, the village is miles south of Glitter Gulch. There are shuttles that will bus you to Glitter Gulch and back so you can shop or eat elsewhere (try the Salmon Bake; we loved it).

On the property itself they have a restaurant where you can get a decent meal. It's not cheap, but not a lot in Alaska is. They have a coffee / snack area where you can grab a quick pre-made sandwich to go too if that's more up your alley.

Thank you!